+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod touch Sales Top 100 Million Units

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default iPod touch Sales Top 100 Million Units

Apple confirmed another sales milestone on Thursday by announcing that the iPod touch has now sold in excess of 100 million units globally.

News of the achievement for Apple's iPod touch, which was first introduced to consumers in 2007, comes on the heels of Apple's latest iPod touch refresh.

Apple has just unveiled a freshly revamped low-end model of the 16GB device for just $229. Auspiciously for potential buyers, Apple hasn't plucked too many desirable bells and whistles to make the new model an affordable buy.

The 4-inch Retina display and dual-core A5 chip, for example, are there, however, the rear-facing iSight camera and loop aren't.

"Whether listening to music or using apps from the App Store, the iPod touch bridges the gap between the iPhone and other iPod models," says Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. "The iPod touch is also a great portable gaming machine. The new model released today will further the device’s penetration into that market, in my opinion."

To check out the new model on the Apple website, click here.

Sources: The Loop, Apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Waiting on iPod Touch with 1 GB ram.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is because the iPod touch is badass. I personally don't have one (because I have an iPhone) but I used to have the 3rd and 4th generation ones back before I could get the iPhone for my carrier, and fell in love with it (which is why, ultimately, I finally got an iPhone when it was released for Sprint). I really do think Apple should advertise these more. There's nothing else in the market quite like (nobody cares about Zune) and it gives people a cheaper alternative to the iPhone—without the contract. And I get the feeling that a good chunk of people who get iPod touches end up getting iPhones later on as well.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Does this indicate that IOS 7 won't support the 4th gen iPod?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    It hardly runs iOS 6 optimally..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin9001 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (05-30-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickuk View Post
    Yes. iOS 7 will support the "new" iPod Touch 4th gen. That's what Apple will say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Yes. iOS 7 will support the "new" iPod Touch 4th gen. That's what Apple will say.
    Of course Apple will say that. That doesn't make the current device a "fourth-generation" iPod, nor will it make fourth-generation device owners whole. To quote Abraham Lincoln, "How many legs does a dog have if you count his tail as a leg? Four. You can call a tail a leg if you want to, but that doesn't make it a leg." Normally Apple waits one whole generation of not selling a product as new before they discontinue developing iOS for it... this may set a very dangerous anti-consumer precedent.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought an iPod Touch 4G (16 GB) two years ago as i can't afford an iPhone 4S at that time. It is a nice device to start with Apple's products. If you have the money, just go for iPhone 5S instead.