Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gazelle's Chief Gadget Officer Points Towards the End of the iPod

Thanks

Default Gazelle's Chief Gadget Officer Points Towards the End of the iPod

Anthony Scarsella, the Chief Gadget Officer at Gazelle, the online equipment repurposing company, publishes his reCommerce report where he looks at trends that the company is seeing in terms of devices submitted to Gazelle for recycling and resale. During his recent quarter report, he found quite some interesting stats, noting that his company saw a huge increase of almost 80% in iPod trades in December and January, leading Scarsella to speculate that we’re beginning to see the “end of the iPod.”

According to Scarsella:

When first unveiled in October 2001, many where astonished with the ability to have over 1,000 songs sitting in your pocket. Fast-forward almost 12-years later and we have the iPhone, iPad, iCloud, streaming, 4G and WiFi. Although the iPod is still around, the smartphone has become an easy replacement for the basic MP3 player from Apple.
    The trend of high iPod trades has supposedly “remained fairly steady since February,” indicating that as more smartphones continue to be activated, more users are looking to Gazelle and companies similar to it, to get cash for equipment they no longer need or use.

Another bit of news that might be of interest is that the resale value of the iPhone leapt to record levels, even for broken equipment, and that devices from other manufacturers such as Samsung are beginning to hold their value over time. This wasn’t the case just a few years ago, when a broken iPhone was often more valuable than a working Android device of a similar age.

Do any of you still have an iPod? If so, do you still use it or is it collecting dust?

Source: Gazelle
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 03-27-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

I use my iPod Touch daily. I also have an iPhone 4S. I find having both to be very convenient. When i decide I only need one device, I can always sell it..no biggie.

October 2011 and 12 years later? Is it 2023 already? Where did the time go? LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to runey71 For This Useful Post:

*T* (03-27-2013)

A cracked iTouch 4 (Jailbroken) collecting dust.

[/tr]
    [/table]
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I use my iPod Touch daily. I also have an iPhone 4S. I find having both to be very convenient. When i decide I only need one device, I can always sell it..no biggie.
    I too use my i pod touch 5th gen daily i also have a 64gig i phone i phone 5 but when i decide to sell i will go with E-bay you can sell it for a much better price Gazell wanted to give me $38 for my 2nd gen i pod jailbroken i sold it on E-bay for $130 .

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly I have a 5th Gen Product Red Nano sitting on my shelf collecting dust, which I hate to see because I think that the 5th gen Nano was the best Apple made! I have my iPhone 5 though, so I don't really have a use for it. I do have it hooked up to my stereo system in my man cave so I always have something in there. It's kind of sad to see the iPod go but what can ya do!

Honestly, if Apple really wanted to keep their iPod relevant, they should add some features to it. Currently none of the other iPods save the touch use internet access or have a consistent feature set. What happened to the games and camera of the nano 5G? Features like that should be present in the classic as well as current nanos.

Also, 2011? I had an iPod in 2007, I must have been ahead of my time...

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    lol I noticed that also

Damn I got scared for a second I thought they were talking about the iPod Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    [/tr]
    [/table]

I too use my i pod touch 5th gen daily i also have a 64gig i phone i phone 5 but when i decide to sell i will go with E-bay you can sell it for a much better price Gazell wanted to give me $38 for my 2nd gen i pod jailbroken i sold it on E-bay for $130 .
    After they buy it, they have an eBay store and resell it there.

Either this article by Akshay Masand is incomplete or there was a hell of a jump to judgment by Anthony Scarsella (Gazelle CGO) .

If his conclusion was based (solely) on "a huge increase of almost 80% in iPod trades", then this guy should revisit the process of analysis and speculation. While this guess may prove accurate, there is nothing to indicate this is anything but grand conjecture. I have learned that w/o accompanying proper supporting information/documentation, "analysts", "experts" and "sources" opinions are more often wrong and useless than informative or useful.

Thanks

That's what I was thinking too... 1,000 songs was a lot to be carrying around in 2011? Now 12 years laters, 2023?! Holy ish! Where have I been?! The smoke these days is strong enough to make me lose track of 12 years... Crazy...

I actually have 3 iPod classics I need to order parts for... I love my iPhone, but, I love having a device exclusively dedicated to music... Even tempted to do the 240gb hard drive swap on them too... At one point in time I could fit every cd i own in its entirety on my 160gb classic... I have never purchased a touch just for the fact that the flash drive capacity still isn't up to par with portable hard drive capacity... I want all 2000+ plus CDs to fit in my pocket, maybe all at lossless one day too...
    Last edited by Sage I; 03-27-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks

I agree! Keep the iPod relevant. I mean my son is 10. Do i go and spend $100 a month on an iOS device or do i get him an iPod Touch?? That will quench the tech thirst of any child..some adults too :] Besides they are lighter and thinner than any other mp3 player(damn sexy) if you ask me. I wish the iPhone 5 was as sleek, just saying

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

It could also be that I purchased the new iPod and have no need for the old one. Just trying to recoup some cash. I doubt this means the "end" of the iPod.

I still have my ancient, glossy black, 80GB, iPod Video (5.5 Gen). I have never filled it up and I still have like 20GB left. I stopped updating it with new songs in 2008. So now it's just sitting in my cabinet collecting dust and wanting some love. :-(
    Should I sell it or should I just keep it and see how long will it last me?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

I noticed the same error

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This article should be clear that it does not refer to the iOS iPod touch device. It refers to the iPod Classic / Nano / Shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by brbortscheller View Post
    It clearly reads 2001.......

I'm guessing there was a correctional edit from 2011 to 2001.