+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disney World Testing iPod Touches as Replacement for Turnstiles

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
In an effort to transform Walt Disney World into an even more warm and welcoming environment, the theme park may soon permanently dump those cold and uninviting turnstiles in favor
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Disney World Testing iPod Touches as Replacement for Turnstiles

In an effort to transform Walt Disney World into an even more warm and welcoming environment, the theme park may soon permanently dump those cold and uninviting turnstiles in favor of Apple devices.

The happiest place on earth is presently testing the use of Apple's iPod touches in place of traditional turnstiles. Disney employees are being equipped with the devices as a means to scan visitors into the park.

Our friends at Apple Insider discovered the pilot program, which clearly emulates Apple's retail strategy of equipping staffers with iDevices to facilitate speedier customer service and check-outs. At Disney, however, staffers dressed in character use the iPod touch to scan tickets of incoming visitors, making the arrival more cozy and inviting for all.

The move on Disney's part comes as no surprise given the close relationship Apple has enjoyed with the company for years, particularly during the tenure of Steve Jobs, owner of 7.7 percent of the company's common stock. Prior to his passing in 2011, Jobs had even been on Disney's board since May 2006.

Source: AppleInsider

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Ok, why is this news on here all of the sudden?

Disney World has been doing this for about 4 months now for the tickets with RFID chips in them.

Ultimately, this will not be what Disney uses, they will be using the RFID scanners that they installed, the iPhone approach would not be efficient enough to get the massive numbers of people in.

The iPhone will simply be used as a backup device in the end, in the event that something isn't working properly with the MyMagic+ scanners, they need extra capacity or someone doesn't have a RFID enabled ticket.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Would be cool to add the AP and tickets to passbook...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They needed to come up with something better than bio metrics too. I don't know how many times they had to reset our tickets because they would not recognize the finger spread in the reader.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't think some people realize, that not everybody scours every news source daily. Great it's old news to you... Don't f-ing read it... I don't spend every waking second looking for every tiny detail in the world.
    I come to modmyi once a day. I appreciate the news and article here about our products.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

They were doing this at Disneyland while I was there a few weeks back....it sucked!! Basically a bunch of old people trying to scan your ticket and take your picture to match them together. The lines were ridiculously slow and long! The people scanning had no idea what they were doing, if the iPod Touch was taking a long time to load or they couldn't scan the ticket they went to their supervisor to get help...which took even longer! They just need to implement the finger scan like Disney World...so much easier!