Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Close is Apple to Discontinuing The iPod touch?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default How Close is Apple to Discontinuing The iPod touch?

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled a robust slate of new and refreshed products - a new MacBook Pro, 4th Generation iPad, iPad mini, etc.

With Apple dumping tons of cash and scarce supply chain resources into the production of these new products (not to mention the red-hot iPhone 5), it's clear that something's got to give. And it may be the iPod touch that gets bumped in order to accommodate the new production demands of 2013 and beyond.

This morning, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities went public with a claim that Apple could discontinue or at least dramatically reduce its investment in the iPod touch. Specifically, he says the iPod touch "has entered the final stage of its product life cycle."

Between the iPhone and the iPad line, the need and subsequent demand for the iPod touch is going to be significantly reduced among Apple fans and product enthusiasts. As a result, the iPod touch may have seen its final refresh.

Source: Apple Insider

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Dropping the iPod touch makes little sense. Other than the slight cost differences between the touch & the new ipad mini possibly hurting sales, many people like the size for portability. Maybe they figure the nano will fill this void? Unless the nano gets true iOS than I don't think it can.

iPhone? More like MyPhone McMichael96's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Dropping the iPod touch makes little sense. Other than the slight cost differences between the touch & the new ipad mini possibly hurting sales, many people like the size for portability. Maybe they figure the nano will fill this void? Unless the nano gets true iOS than I don't think it can.
    Yeah I'm with you. I'd rather have an iPod touch over an iPad. It's cheaper, has same specs plus a retina display. And twice the storage. Not a smart move for apple. They might discontinue the nano how ever, I'm surprised they haven't done that already.
    I like apple stuff.
    If you see the username "McMichael96" anywhere, it's probably me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McMichael96 For This Useful Post:

Enzio (12-30-2012)

So they expect that everyone will just have an iPhone or an iPad? That's stupid.

Makes sense to me. Nothing last forever. Due to fact i have an iphone i never wanted an ipod. I am also a shameless apple supporter so if they said pigs fly, id buy the app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    100% with you on that apple will loss lots of money if that happens

This whole post was just to start a debate between fapple f**boys. But they would never drop the iPod touch. If the dropped anything it would be something like the shuffle, nano, etc. they would lose so much revenue dropping the touch due to the fact that not all people can afford an iPhone. They have to opt out for the touch. Don't forget the people who are too young to own a phone (15 and below) let alone a smartphone.

What Apple should do (or should've done) with the Touch is add cellular capability. That would have been killer to have a small device like that and be able to get Internet, iMessage and VoIP anywhere. Who wants their kids carrying around the family iPad mini or iPad?

Everyone I know has a smartphone. The need for a iPod Touch is becoming less each year.

It would lose apple too much cash from the younger users!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by egypt123 View Post
    What Apple should do (or should've done) with the Touch is add cellular capability. That would have been killer to have a small device like that and be able to get Internet, iMessage and VoIP anywhere. Who wants their kids carrying around the family iPad mini or iPad?
    Not meaning to hate, but isn't that an iPhone? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    Everyone I know has a smartphone. The need for a iPod Touch is becoming less each year.
    Killing the iPod Touch would be a massive disaster. The iPod Touch is less of an iPod now and more of a iGam'r Touch. After all 160 for a handheld games console is cheap, let alone one with these specs and variety of instant access games.
    Last edited by moribo; 10-24-2012 at 02:56 PM.

The analyst is a retard

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    Not meaning to hate, but isn't that an iPhone? lol
    I assumed he was just being silly.

*EDIT: BTW, as to the original topic, this whole article is based purely on speculation by someone OUTSIDE Apple. I think it's interesting to think about and discuss, but considering the source this should be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't see them dropping the ipod touch, that makes no sense if you ask me.. It was the gift of choice for my nieces and nephews by their parents.. old enough to have the device for music and apps but not not quite ready for them to have a cell phone.

I personally bought my iTouch because I was fine with my previous phone ( i now have a 4s ) .. but I wanted to have an iDevice to learn app development and for testing mobile sites we develop.. it was practical since it was cheap.. I still use it constantly..

There's a market for it .. and I think there always will be

Suicide move. Don't know how many of ya'll are teenagers but any who are know how that when you are tied to your parents revenue stream and they say no iPhone, the iPod Touch is a great second option. Every kid in my family has owned a Touch before we got our iPhones. Apple doesn't want to lose that revenue. Little kids also get enamored with their parents iPhones, and the parents can instead buy them a touch. Older folks who don't want a complex smartphone but still desire a portable device opt for the Touch. Cutting the nano and selling a line of portable products strictly devouted to iOS makes more sense. The only iPod I se these days is the iPod Touch.

I don't see the iPod Touch going anywhere...at least I hope not. I repair way too many iPod Touch screens owned by irresponsible preteens and teens. Needless to say, there's still a huge market. Parents don't want to foot the recurring bill for an iPhone for their kid (and I don't blame them), so they get them the next best thing that still fits in their grubby little pockets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wesside123 View Post
    I don't see the iPod Touch going anywhere...at least I hope not. I repair way too many iPod Touch screens owned by irresponsible preteens and teens. Needless to say, there's still a huge market. Parents don't want to foot the recurring bill for an iPhone for their kid (and I don't blame them), so they get them the next best thing that still fits in their grubby little pockets.
    +1 at one point the iPod was the most popular mobile gaming device so I think that wesside is right.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

I agree with everyone saying it would take away revenue. The iPod touch is also kind of like Apple's gateway drug. Some people go from having an iPod to getting an iPhone, then getting many Apple products.

Maybe iPad nano next year?

**** that. I say drop the iphone and release a 3g/4g capable ipod touch so i only have to pay for data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast