Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Close is Apple to Discontinuing The iPod touch?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    Not meaning to hate, but isn't that an iPhone? lol
    No. The commentor means data only cellular, like the iPad has. No 2 year commitment, no charges for voice service. But the benefits of being able to use anywhere, not just around wifi networks.

Quote Originally Posted by caniac61906 View Post
    Suicide move. Don't know how many of ya'll are teenagers but any who are know how that when you are tied to your parents revenue stream and they say no iPhone, the iPod Touch is a great second option. Every kid in my family has owned a Touch before we got our iPhones. Apple doesn't want to lose that revenue. Little kids also get enamored with their parents iPhones, and the parents can instead buy them a touch. Older folks who don't want a complex smartphone but still desire a portable device opt for the Touch. Cutting the nano and selling a line of portable products strictly devouted to iOS makes more sense. The only iPod I se these days is the iPod Touch.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
    No. The commentor means data only cellular, like the iPad has. No 2 year commitment, no charges for voice service. But the benefits of being able to use anywhere, not just around wifi networks.
    It would kill the iPhone,

iPod Touch 32GB 249 + Apples average rise for cellular radio 130 = 379
    iPhone 32GB = 599

Would slim down the amount of users who would bother with the iPhone. You could get the 64GB iPod touch with Cellular for 430 and still save yourself money. get Skype credit say 10 a month and off you go.

Thanks

The answer to the title question: far.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Dropping the iPod touch makes little sense. Other than the slight cost differences between the touch & the new ipad mini possibly hurting sales, many people like the size for portability. Maybe they figure the nano will fill this void? Unless the nano gets true iOS than I don't think it can.
    Agreed. The ipodtouch is the non-data iPhone. I know at least 3/5 people have one in the teenage group.

Apple needs to stick to one design. Have the iPod and the iPhone have the same exact hardware. Just rip the cell hardware out and call it a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by jco View Post
    Apple needs to stick to one design. Have the iPod and the iPhone have the same exact hardware. Just rip the cell hardware out and call it a touch.
    People already say the cost of the rich is too high. This would push the price up even further. The spec on the iPod touch is lower than the iPhone to get it out at a certain price point. Who wants to pay $400 for a iPod touch!?

Quote Originally Posted by egypt123 View Post
    What Apple should do (or should've done) with the Touch is add cellular capability. That would have been killer to have a small device like that and be able to get Internet, iMessage and VoIP anywhere. Who wants their kids carrying around the family iPad mini or iPad?
    Exactly
    If they do that I'd be happy to buy that and ditch my iPhone. I don't use phone to call anyway even if I do I use Skype or viber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobh4 View Post
    I agree with everyone saying it would take away revenue. The iPod touch is also kind of like Apple's gateway drug. Some people go from having an iPod to getting an iPhone, then getting many Apple products.
    Like me 😁
    Last edited by Andaz; 10-24-2012 at 08:32 PM.

No doubt, as Apple intended, I automatically factor in the cost of a smart cover when it comes to the iPad mini, so there is a bit more of a price difference to distinguish the two.

The only way the iPod touch is going anywhere is if they merge it with the nano or go back in the Shuffle direction with the nano and fill the void with the mini-touch successor.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    Dropping the iPod touch makes little sense. Other than the slight cost differences between the touch & the new ipad mini possibly hurting sales, many people like the size for portability. Maybe they figure the nano will fill this void? Unless the nano gets true iOS than I don't think it can.
    It's clear the insider was talking about the 4th generation. Seriously. This headline made me laugh.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,243 Posts

Apparently I'm the odd man out but I don't see why this would be so unrealistic...

Nano for portability; iPad Mini for music, semi-portability, data, reading, gaming, etc, etc. Except for portability, I think the iPad Mini could definitely make Apple wonder if they really need to keep the iPT around.

The pricing is lower than an iPT and there are so many used iPhones and iPTs in the market that teenagers can get an iDevice w/out signing up for cell service. Granted, the latter wont make Apple money but if they did start thinking of phasing out a product, the iPT makes sense to eliminate....

Apple wants to be sure you only own Apple (as any company). Getting rid of the Touch will mean you buy a 32 or 64G iPhone to store your music on. You thoughts will be, "I can pay more for the higher gig iPhone because I won't buy an iPod or this is a 'two for one' deal". Apple makes more off the higher gig phones.

Thanks

I say keep the iTouch as it fills a void. It is the best touch mp3 player out there..and obviously much more. Not sure why it has to start at 32GB now and raise the cost by $100. I say apple goes back to making 16GB devices and drop the price..that will fix the price point and buyers complaining about the Mini/Touch being so close in price.

I've lost my iPod Touch yesterday and I'll get a neu one today just for portability. There's wi-fi ervery where and it's cool, for phone calls and messages i use my Blackberry 9900.

i was surprised enough when they introduced the 5th gen with siri, new design and all. That either means their keeping it, or this is it's last run...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12