+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPod Touch 5G Lacking Ambient Light Sensor

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Yesterday, ModMyi shared that the iPod touch 5G was lacking the ambient light sensor used to adjust screen brightness automatically depending on lighting conditions surrounding the user. It was an
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPod Touch 5G Lacking Ambient Light Sensor

Yesterday, ModMyi shared that the iPod touch 5G was lacking the ambient light sensor used to adjust screen brightness automatically depending on lighting conditions surrounding the user. It was an issue for some because it would require the user to adjust the brightness manually in dynamic lighting environments that could make the screen harder to see, which would quickly become cumbersome for the user.

One Apple device user has fired off an E-mail to the Apple SVP, Phil Schiller, to attempt to get some answers regarding the issue. As history repeats itself, Phil Schiller once again (he also responded to the iPhone 5 scuffing issues) responds with an answer regarding an issue with Apple’s devices:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Schiller
    Thank you for purchasing a new iPod touch. It is a remarkable device!
    The 5th generation iPod touch does not have a built-in automatic light sensor (it’s just too thin!)

Phil
    It seems like quite a lackadaisical response for a rather important piece of hardware and it seems odd that Apple would sacrifice the light sensor for thinness. Perhaps it’s one of those classic Apple instances of removing a useful feature for what they view as the future. It's possible that Apple's engineering team might try to work to bring the ambient light sensor back to future generation iPod touch models because of the complaints, although it's not looking to be likely.

For now, we can only hope for an iOS 6 jailbreak to surface for all of Apple’s new devices soon and at least allow users to adjust their screen brightness much more easily without needing to open the Settings application each time. Tweaks like SBSettings, Brightness Switcher, and IntelliScreenX will at least make the brightness slider easier to access and reduce the amount of work users have to put out for such a simple task.

Sources: iDownloadBlog
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-16-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Whats a "light censor"? -@deamandelk

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

That's his excuse?
    I feel it was to cut cost, but I could be wrong.

I even don't know who I really am
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 2,335 Posts

Opening up Settings requires pushing a screen with your finger....how is that to much work? Its sad how much this society depends on technology and how lazy this world has become. I hope you all have a plan for the end days. Whats next, A meal that comes in pill form?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

IMHO, the light sensor sucks on iphone5. Works in an odd way and never really works well for me.

No loss for me. I have read how to set the sensor but instill can't get it lower in dark environment properly after it increase if you go into a well lit room at night.

Thanks

"Care to explain, Sir?".

That would be due to our design schematics. In other words, we decided to not include the light sensor.

You should also know we decided to not include cellular service with that same iPod.

Do you have any more (stupid) questions?

(although I will give you it might have been a surprise to see it gone)
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 10-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ellersbee View Post
    Opening up Settings requires pushing a screen with your finger....how is that to much work? Its sad how much this society depends on technology and how lazy this world has become. I hope you all have a plan for the end days. Whats next, A meal that comes in pill form?
    How can you tap the screen if you can't see it?!

Thanks

Default Jobs is no longer at the helm...
    Since the launch of iPhone 4S you can see that Jobs was no longer on top of things.

My impression is that Apple is stating to rot little by little without Steve calling the shots.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Senyaichiya View Post
    That's his excuse?
    I feel it was to cut cost, but I could be wrong.
    Why would apple need to "cut costs" of a tiny sensor that couldn't cost more than $2

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't like Phil Schiller, not for this, but in general.

Thanks

really. you're going to whine about missing it? it's the first thing i disable on a new ios device as i get tired of the screen spasming up and down in brightness. if apple added it and added on .2mm you'd all be whining about how thick it is because of it.

people are just looking for anything to complain about now.. if you need the sensor to be able to use a touchscreen then the ipod touch isn't the device for you, go out and buy something else that's just as good. oh.. wait.. there isn't anything else out there as good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freddiepr View Post
    Since the launch of iPhone 4S you can see that Jobs was no longer on top of things.

My impression is that Apple is stating to rot little by little without Steve calling the shots.
    I feel the same, I feel like no one is on top of things.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    really. you're going to whine about missing it? it's the first thing i disable on a new ios device as i get tired of the screen spasming up and down in brightness. if apple added it and added on .2mm you'd all be whining about how thick it is because of it.

people are just looking for anything to complain about now.. if you need the sensor to be able to use a touchscreen then the ipod touch isn't the device for you, go out and buy something else that's just as good. oh.. wait.. there isn't anything else out there as good.
    I enjoy the feature, personally.

Thanks

I thought an ambient light sensor was pretty standard on all mobile devices?

Yes, lets take things away rather than add them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ellersbee View Post
    I guess you never turned on a light when your eyes were adjusted to the dark.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

My two cents:

I guess it's a personal thing, but I've owned every iPhone to date (and other phones with ALS) and I have never used the feature once, I like my screen full pelt all the time, all my content in perfect resolution and colour all the time! :-)

Thanks

I use auto-brightness and I'm still not seeing this as a big problem. It's probably the least important part on the iPod touch, so I'm not sure why it was referred to as a "rather important piece of hardware." Apple needs to add a feature like Android's swiping the status bar to adjust brightness though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I use auto-brightness and I'm still not seeing this as a big problem. It's probably the least important part on the iPod touch, so I'm not sure why it was referred to as a "rather important piece of hardware." Apple needs to add a feature like Android's swiping the status bar to adjust brightness though.
    Many people take this "least important part" for granted.

I have found it to be helpful on many occasions. It sometimes takes a few seconds to kick in, but it's really nice having that screen brightness kick up automatically in the sunlight.

I think it's better than having the screen on full-blown brightness all the time because that just kills the battery.

To each their own, I suppose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Many people take this "least important part" for granted.

I have found it to be helpful on many occasions. It sometimes takes a few seconds to kick in, but it's really nice having that screen brightness kick up automatically in the sunlight.

I think it's better than having the screen on full-blown brightness all the time because that just kills the battery.

To each their own, I suppose.
    I keep my brightness at a minimum by using Activator to adjust it with the status bar. I find the auto-brightness a little helpful, but very insufficient because it doesn't actually make the screen look the same in sunlight, even if you were to remove the glare. I think Apple should have either made it easier to adjust the brightness or improved the ambient light sensor. I'm happy with my current configuration though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    How can you tap the screen if you can't see it?!
    What do you mean you cant see the screen?