+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Phil Schiller Comments On iPod Touch 5G Lacking Ambient Light Sensor

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Originally Posted by loud.n.clean What do you mean you cant see the screen? What he means is when it's so bright outside that you can hardly see what's on the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loud.n.clean View Post
    What do you mean you cant see the screen?
    What he means is when it's so bright outside that you can hardly see what's on the screen. This is what the ambient light sensor attempts to fix, by kicking your brightness up when it's bright all around you (such as in the sun).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loud.n.clean View Post
    What do you mean you cant see the screen?
    Too dark. Clearly a joke.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffS4 View Post
    "Care to explain, Sir?".

That would be due to our design schematics. In other words, we decided to not include the light sensor.

You should also know we decided to not include cellular service with that same iPod.

Do you have any more (stupid) questions?

(although I will give you it might have been a surprise to see it gone)
    you act like cellular service is smart for an ipod? People buy ipods instead of iphones because of the cellular costs 9/10 times. Plus why would someone get an ipod if they can make that a phone with cellular service? they can text and call and with cellular service they could do that anywhere

why do people think apple is dumb for not having a light sensor? i would rather have a thin ipod that with a good case is a reasonable size than a clunky thing with a lightsensor..

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ellersbee View Post
    Opening up Settings requires pushing a screen with your finger....how is that to much work? Its sad how much this society depends on technology and how lazy this world has become. I hope you all have a plan for the end days. Whats next, A meal that comes in pill form?
    its amazing how ppl are so lazy that they steal others work yes ppl are so lazy....

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

First thing I do is turn off auto brightness anyway. It's always sucked. Much prefer to manually adjust it as required.

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Many people take this "least important part" for granted.

I have found it to be helpful on many occasions. It sometimes takes a few seconds to kick in, but it's really nice having that screen brightness kick up automatically in the sunlight.

I think it's better than having the screen on full-blown brightness all the time because that just kills the battery.

To each their own, I suppose.
    If that is the way that it worked, I'd LOVE it. But I have owned every iPhone since the 3G, and every single one of them has done the opposite. They get BRIGHTER in the DARK and DIMMER in the SUN. I always thought that this was a terrible idea. Could it be possible that every iPhone I ever owned had a faulty sensor?!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    If that is the way that it worked, I'd LOVE it. But I have owned every iPhone since the 3G, and every single one of them has done the opposite. They get BRIGHTER in the DARK and DIMMER in the SUN. I always thought that this was a terrible idea. Could it be possible that every iPhone I ever owned had a faulty sensor?!
    I'm sorry to hear. Mine has operated as expected from day one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Why would apple need to "cut costs" of a tiny sensor that couldn't cost more than $2
    What is two dollars times a million?

I added I could be wrong it was merely speculation.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The light sensor is a required hardware component in my opinion. But what really disappoints me is the software side of it. I have a IP5 and wen indoors (under artificial lights or indirect sunlight) it always sets the screen too bright for my liking (this maybe purposefully done as most devices look "better" with bright screens compared to dim ones). So I m required to readjust it manually in settings. It would be great (and make sense) if the auto-b software could "learn" from this, so next time it encounters that particular brightness level it adjusts to what I set it to last time and not its (really bright) presets. Turning off auto-b doesn't work for me as I find I have to constantly adjust the brightness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gervs View Post
    It would be great (and make sense) if the auto-b software could "learn" from this, so next time it encounters that particular brightness level it adjusts to what I set it to last time and not its (really bright) presets.
    This is a great idea!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'm sorry to hear. Mine has operated as expected from day one.
    anthony cmon u gonna tell me that when u take your iphone out on a summer day and u stand outside underneath the sun u can see everything perfect on your iphone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    anthony cmon u gonna tell me that when u take your iphone out on a summer day and u stand outside underneath the sun u can see everything perfect on your iphone?
    That isn't what he said or claimed. He was referring to his iPhones correctly altering brightness. Ie brighter when outside and dimmer when inside.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I want a jailbreak so I can mod the **** out of my iPod. I haven't owned a powerful enough device to, but the IPT5 might be capable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    you act like cellular service is smart for an ipod? People buy ipods instead of iphones because of the cellular costs 9/10 times. Plus why would someone get an ipod if they can make that a phone with cellular service? they can text and call and with cellular service they could do that anywhere

why do people think apple is dumb for not having a light sensor? i would rather have a thin ipod that with a good case is a reasonable size than a clunky thing with a lightsensor..

Dude GeoffS4 was sarcastic...

Thanks

Opening up Settings requires pushing a screen with your finger....how is that to much work? Its sad how much this society depends on technology and how lazy this world has become. I hope you all have a plan for the end days. Whats next, A meal that comes in pill form?
    No offense but It's not about how lazy one is or how much work needs to be done in this case... its about saving up on valuable time! Well atleast time is of utmost important to me... and it also is a matter of personal opinion. When your iPhone/iTouch runs out of capacity or is almost full (Like my 4S... 300 MB free out of 16GB)... that opening the settings app can take more time than usual. (Yes, even on a 4S... apps tend to open slower than before with just so lil space remaining)

Auto-brightness does not function well for some... but for me, except for a few times... its worked well.

iOS 6 Jailbreak will be welcomed with open arms... I love NCSettings and SBSettings... can't imagine my iphone without it...

I also feel that this is not done to slim down the device... I'm sure if it was as thick as the iPhone 5, consumers would still have bought the gorgeous looking device. This is definitely done to cut costs and increase their profit margins! C'mon Apple... I love you... and I know you're better than this! Hope this is not the case with the iPad mini. I want it to have features at least at par or better than the Google Nexus 7 Tab. If it doesn't... then I guess I'll be going for the Nexus 7 Tab.

I hope Apple does not disappointed me... I've been itching to buy the Nexus 7 tab but the iPad mini is the sole reason that I haven't jumped ship.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok now try it in sun light with the brightness all the way down. It's a lot harder when you can't see the screen.

Banned
    Thanks

Auto brightness sucks its easier to just adjust it to the perfect amount manually

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    I thought an ambient light sensor was pretty standard on all mobile devices?

Yes, lets take things away rather than add them.
    Its not a mobile device.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiepr View Post
    Since the launch of iPhone 4S you can see that Jobs was no longer on top of things.

My impression is that Apple is stating to rot little by little without Steve calling the shots.
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokadaking View Post
    Its not a mobile device.
    uh yes it is, if you do not have to plug it into a wall to turn it on, it is a mobile device. granted it has no cellular radios, but thats beside the point.
    Last edited by psp257; 10-17-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see why they decided to leave it out for that. I don't think it's a huge deal. Certainly not big enough to stop me from buying one. Now if they did that for the iPhone then there would be some major problems.