+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Tears Down Apple's New iPod Touch 5G

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default iFixit Tears Down Apple's New iPod Touch 5G

Just as people started getting their hands on Apple’s new iPod touch 5G, so have the folks at iFixit! They have given the new device the usual treatment of being torn apart in order to reveal the internals. Most of what we see in the new iPod touch 5G isn’t new, although it does adopt a few new features such as the four-inch display, lightning connector, and wrist strap.

The iPod touch comes with the same dual-core A5 chip that comes in the iPhone 4S and a 5-megapixel camera. For the first time in an iPod touch, the device comes with 512MB of memory – double the amount of memory found inside of the iPod touch 4G. iFixit also points out that the battery can hold more juice than the battery in the previous generation iPod touch.

iFixit also had some issues with the iPod touch 5G, sharing that the display seemed “cheaper” and the home button seemed “weaker” than the iPhone 5’s screen and home button. This illustrates how Apple continues to make the iPod touch at just a little bit of a lower build quality than their prized product, the iPhone. Due to all the soldering inside of the iPod touch 5G, iFixit claims the repairability is low, with a rating of only 3 out of 10 (10 being easiest to repair).

To the end user, the repairability isn’t much of a problem, since most people aren’t digging inside of their devices to try to fix things that go wrong. If you like slim devices, the iPod touch 5G is certainly going to fit your taste. With the varying colors, you can find the one that suits your mood. The iPod touch 5G also comes in flavors of 32GB and 64GB of storage, although Apple did axe the 8GB model.

Sources: iFixit

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm kind of sad at the new iPod Touch. I knew Apple makes the iPhone superior to the iPod Touch but seriously? They should have given the iPod the same amount of ram and the same processor as the iPhone 5.

Thanks

any chance of GPS in this model ?
    looking to make this in to my GPS for my car along with MP3

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    GPS in these devices would be a terrible and useless idea. You wouldn't have Internet access to render the maps when your on the road. GPS is only granted to devices that can connect to the Internet on the go. That's why they didn't put GPS in the iPad wifi versions.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    I'm kind of sad at the new iPod Touch. I knew Apple makes the iPhone superior to the iPod Touch but seriously? They should have given the iPod the same amount of ram and the same processor as the iPhone 5.
    I mean it doesnt really need it but in a way i have to agree since they did drop the 8gb/16gb.. the 32 and 64 have always had more ram but seriously you are forcing people to buy the 32 AND you skipped out on last year! the least you could do is give it more ram..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    GPS in these devices would be a terrible and useless idea. You wouldn't have Internet access to render the maps when your on the road. GPS is only granted to devices that can connect to the Internet on the go. That's why they didn't put GPS in the iPad wifi versions.
    You don't need internet access for GPS to work. My Android phone has been out of service for about 3 months now and I still use the GPS feature on it. All you need to do when you do have internet is update the maps and it'll work. Unless Apple somehow made it to where you HAD to have internet for it to work.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Android
    Quote Originally Posted by trh2086 View Post
    You don't need internet access for GPS to work. My Android phone has been out of service for about 3 months now and I still use the GPS feature on it. All you need to do when you do have internet is update the maps and it'll work. Unless Apple somehow made it to where you HAD to have internet for it to work.
    wow i didnt know the new ipod touch is a Android phone! i must get one.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattme11 View Post
    wow i didnt know the new ipod touch is a Android phone! i must get one.
    I was only mentioning my Android phone to show that constant internet access isn't required for GPS to work. I was by no means comparing the actual devices. Apple could put a GPS in the ipod touch and it would be useful.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

So no 16 GB either? What happened with that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trh2086 View Post
    I was only mentioning my Android phone to show that constant internet access isn't required for GPS to work. I was by no means comparing the actual devices. Apple could put a GPS in the ipod touch and it would be useful.
    I agree. There are many GPS applications on the App Store that can function without the need for an active internet connection, such as Navigon and TomTom to name a few.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Never have.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damn I want one

Thanks
    TomTom or any other offline GPS software. Tool!

-Pete

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How accessible is the front screen? How easy is it to fix/repair ?
    Most important question to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kooris View Post
    Never have.
    Well some of the iPod Touches had better CPUs then the iPhone, as they under clocked te iPhone to save battery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    So no 16 GB either? What happened with that?
    Apple hasn't provided a 16GB iPod touch in what seems like eons. The iPhone has been offered in 16GB models, though.

In my opinion, 8GB seems to have been removed due to the growing number of memory-hungry applications in the App Store. It just isn't suitable anymore. I remember when I bought an 8GB model a couple of years ago and within 30 days I had it full to the brim and wanted to add more music. I ended up returning it and upgrading the the 32GB model.

I would love to see a 16GB iPod touch again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 186 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Well some of the iPod Touches had better CPUs then the iPhone, as they under clocked te iPhone to save battery.
    Same cpu, different clocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Apple hasn't provided a 16GB iPod touch in what seems like eons. The iPhone has been offered in 16GB models, though.

In my opinion, 8GB seems to have been removed due to the growing number of memory-hungry applications in the App Store. It just isn't suitable anymore. I remember when I bought an 8GB model a couple of years ago and within 30 days I had it full to the brim and wanted to add more music. I ended up returning it and upgrading the the 32GB model.

I would love to see a 16GB iPod touch again.
    Exactly - 16GB never was offered, and 8GB is nowhere near enough. In reality its only about 6 gigs - you cant even do ota if you have a half decent music library.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,404 Times in 6,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    Just buy an iph4 from eBay with a bad ESN. it will operate the same as an iPod touch and you can get one that is on 5.1.1 that's jailbreakable.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kooris View Post
    Exactly - 16GB never was offered, and 8GB is nowhere near enough. In reality its only about 6 gigs - you cant even do ota if you have a half decent music library.
    I didn't say, "never." I believe iPod touch 1G and some variances of iPod touch 2G were offered in 16GB models. It appears to have stopped after that for some reason.

Here is a refurbished iPod touch 2G (16GB) from Apple for sale right now. (link)

EDIT: It looks like Apple is now selling the iPod touch 4G in a 16GB model for $199.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-11-2012 at 09:05 PM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,404 Times in 6,356 Posts

Yeah, tool!!!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!