Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit Tears Down Apple's New iPod Touch 5G

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wish I had held out on purchasing my 8GB iPod Touch 4G. Only reason I bought this one was because I NEEDED my music and I didn't have any other way to listen to is while riding my bike to and from work. My 32GB iPod Touch 3G doesn't leave the house now due to a horrible shattered screen. Still works, but fragile.

Thanks

If the so called iPad Mini is real..this device is pointless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete
    TomTom or any other offline GPS software. Tool!

-Pete
    A feature that relies on third-party software, on an Apple product? Who do you think you are?
    Let's grow old together...
    ... And die at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    GPS in these devices would be a terrible and useless idea. You wouldn't have Internet access to render the maps when your on the road. GPS is only granted to devices that can connect to the Internet on the go. That's why they didn't put GPS in the iPad wifi versions.
    I disagree completely this would be a wonderful idea. People could teather from a number of other devices or moblie hotspots if they don't also own the iPhone.
    And even more realistic than that scenario, if you download a 3rd party gps program (such as TomTom) you dont need internet access to render the maps. they are stored on your device. i use this on my iPhone and it is much better (especially for turn by turn) than than google maps, and i've heard apples IO6 maps is even worse than that. the iPod would be just as good.

This was a huge disapointment on my WiFii Pad, what a beautiful large screen to use as a gps...

There are also other useful things for a gps, such as geotaging pictures and videos. and ther are numorous other apps that use location, and not nessacarily internet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    If the so called iPad Mini is real..this device is pointless.
    I don't think so. I don't want to attempt to fit a tablet in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
    I disagree completely this would be a wonderful idea. People could teather from a number of other devices or moblie hotspots if they don't also own the iPhone.
    And even more realistic than that scenario, if you download a 3rd party gps program (such as TomTom) you dont need internet access to render the maps. they are stored on your device. i use this on my iPhone and it is much better (especially for turn by turn) than than google maps, and i've heard apples IO6 maps is even worse than that. the iPod would be just as good.

This was a huge disapointment on my WiFii Pad, what a beautiful large screen to use as a gps...

There are also other useful things for a gps, such as geotaging pictures and videos. and ther are numorous other apps that use location, and not nessacarily internet.
    If people can tether from a mobile device then your iPod touch uses location based services based off of the GPS on your cell phone. I do this all the time, it gives an estimate location like it would if you we're on wifi at home. But without Internet, maps cannot be rendered. GPS and Internet is totally different things and it is handled differently on a phone then a tomtom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    If people can tether from a mobile device then your iPod touch uses location based services based off of the GPS on your cell phone. I do this all the time, it gives an estimate location like it would if you we're on wifi at home. But without Internet, maps cannot be rendered. GPS and Internet is totally different things and it is handled differently on a phone then a tomtom.
    i'm not talking about a TomTom device... i'm talking about the app. If i install TomTom (app availaible on the app store) on my phone i don't need Data to use it as a GPS. I can turn Data off, and it still works, I can prove this by the fact that I used my phone as a GPS (using the TomTom app) in Europe and South america. and i had NO DATA. I turned data off due to the crazy data roaming charges. This would be great if my iPad had a GPS. even if it didn't have data.
    Do you get what i mean now?

also if i teather data from a device and my device has gps i dont get the estimate location of the device i'm teathering from. just the data... I think your wrong on both points.
    Last edited by pichito; 10-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,894 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
    i'm not talking about a TomTom device... i'm talking about the app. If i install TomTom (app availaible on the app store) on my phone i don't need Data to use it as a GPS. I can turn Data off, and it still works, I can prove this by the fact that I used my phone as a GPS (using the TomTom app) in Europe and South america. and i had NO DATA. I turned data off due to the crazy data roaming charges. This would be great if my iPad had a GPS. even if it didn't have data.
    Do you get what i mean now?

also if i teather data from a device and my device has gps i dont get the estimate location of the device i'm teathering from. just the data... I think your wrong on both points.
    Yes, I agree!
    Widget Weather 2.0 App Currently in Public Beta for iOS 8 only!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather 2.0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12