+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iFixit Tears Down Apple's New iPod Touch 5G

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Wish I had held out on purchasing my 8GB iPod Touch 4G. Only reason I bought this one was because I NEEDED my music and I didn't have any other
...
  1. #21
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Wish I had held out on purchasing my 8GB iPod Touch 4G. Only reason I bought this one was because I NEEDED my music and I didn't have any other way to listen to is while riding my bike to and from work. My 32GB iPod Touch 3G doesn't leave the house now due to a horrible shattered screen. Still works, but fragile.

  2. #22
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,589
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 186 Times in 133 Posts

    If the so called iPad Mini is real..this device is pointless.

  3. #23
    Green Apple bewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In your nightmares o.o
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete
    TomTom or any other offline GPS software. Tool!

    -Pete
    A feature that relies on third-party software, on an Apple product? Who do you think you are?
    Let's grow old together...
    ... And die at the same time

  4. #24
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    GPS in these devices would be a terrible and useless idea. You wouldn't have Internet access to render the maps when your on the road. GPS is only granted to devices that can connect to the Internet on the go. That's why they didn't put GPS in the iPad wifi versions.
    I disagree completely this would be a wonderful idea. People could teather from a number of other devices or moblie hotspots if they don't also own the iPhone.
    And even more realistic than that scenario, if you download a 3rd party gps program (such as TomTom) you dont need internet access to render the maps. they are stored on your device. i use this on my iPhone and it is much better (especially for turn by turn) than than google maps, and i've heard apples IO6 maps is even worse than that. the iPod would be just as good.

    This was a huge disapointment on my WiFii Pad, what a beautiful large screen to use as a gps...

    There are also other useful things for a gps, such as geotaging pictures and videos. and ther are numorous other apps that use location, and not nessacarily internet.

  5. #25
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    762
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    If the so called iPad Mini is real..this device is pointless.
    I don't think so. I don't want to attempt to fit a tablet in my pocket.

  6. #26
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
    I disagree completely this would be a wonderful idea. People could teather from a number of other devices or moblie hotspots if they don't also own the iPhone.
    And even more realistic than that scenario, if you download a 3rd party gps program (such as TomTom) you dont need internet access to render the maps. they are stored on your device. i use this on my iPhone and it is much better (especially for turn by turn) than than google maps, and i've heard apples IO6 maps is even worse than that. the iPod would be just as good.

    This was a huge disapointment on my WiFii Pad, what a beautiful large screen to use as a gps...

    There are also other useful things for a gps, such as geotaging pictures and videos. and ther are numorous other apps that use location, and not nessacarily internet.
    If people can tether from a mobile device then your iPod touch uses location based services based off of the GPS on your cell phone. I do this all the time, it gives an estimate location like it would if you we're on wifi at home. But without Internet, maps cannot be rendered. GPS and Internet is totally different things and it is handled differently on a phone then a tomtom.

  7. #27
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    If people can tether from a mobile device then your iPod touch uses location based services based off of the GPS on your cell phone. I do this all the time, it gives an estimate location like it would if you we're on wifi at home. But without Internet, maps cannot be rendered. GPS and Internet is totally different things and it is handled differently on a phone then a tomtom.
    i'm not talking about a TomTom device... i'm talking about the app. If i install TomTom (app availaible on the app store) on my phone i don't need Data to use it as a GPS. I can turn Data off, and it still works, I can prove this by the fact that I used my phone as a GPS (using the TomTom app) in Europe and South america. and i had NO DATA. I turned data off due to the crazy data roaming charges. This would be great if my iPad had a GPS. even if it didn't have data.
    Do you get what i mean now?

    also if i teather data from a device and my device has gps i dont get the estimate location of the device i'm teathering from. just the data... I think your wrong on both points.
    Last edited by pichito; 10-23-2012 at 10:36 AM.

  8. #28
    King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,290
    Thanks
    41,234
    Thanked 17,399 Times in 6,355 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pichito View Post
    i'm not talking about a TomTom device... i'm talking about the app. If i install TomTom (app availaible on the app store) on my phone i don't need Data to use it as a GPS. I can turn Data off, and it still works, I can prove this by the fact that I used my phone as a GPS (using the TomTom app) in Europe and South america. and i had NO DATA. I turned data off due to the crazy data roaming charges. This would be great if my iPad had a GPS. even if it didn't have data.
    Do you get what i mean now?

    also if i teather data from a device and my device has gps i dont get the estimate location of the device i'm teathering from. just the data... I think your wrong on both points.
    Yes, I agree!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts