+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A Closer Look at the iPod Touch 5G

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A Closer Look at the iPod Touch 5G

The iPhone 5 took to the stage today as one of Apple’s favorite releases of the day, but the iPod touch also received a much-needed refresh as well. After what seems like forever, the iPod touch now has the dual core A5 chip and a better 5 megapixel camera with LED flash that blows the iPod touch 4G’s 1 megapixel camera out of the water. The iPod touch 5G even brings the iPhone 5’s four-inch retina display to the lineup and includes Apple’s new EarPod ear buds and 8-pin dock connector.

The iPod touch 5G finally brings Siri, Apple’s voice assistant software, to the iPod touch platform. For ages, it has been limited to the iPhone 4S and iOS 6 brought it to the new iPad. Jailbreak tweaks have brought it to older devices, but that just didn’t work out after iOS 5’s latest update.

For the first time, the iPod touch is coming in a variety of colors that match the rest of the iPod lineup. The color choices give users a wide variety to choose from and allow life to be less ‘black and white.’ The iPod touch 5G also includes a new ‘loop’ for going around your wrist for helping you keep it from dropping. The loop attaches to the rear of the iPod with a metallic peg and it matches the color of the iPod touch.

With all these great new things, it leaves us wondering – okay, well what are are the downsides of the iPod touch 5G? It’s difficult to point them out on a device with such an excellent hardware and software boost, but they are undeniably there. For one, the rear camera appears to have a protruding effect out of the rear of the device, meaning that the device won't lay flat on a table surface:

Another downside is that the loop connector looks strange. Apple’s iPod touch 4G has a very nice, slim, and sleek form-factor. All of these extraneous items on the iPod touch 5G just stick out of the device and makes it not so attractive. You can also clearly see that they have brought back the rear-facing radio window, which was present on the iPod touch 3G for making it easier for Wi-Fi to pass through the metal. On the iPod touch 4G, they bypassed this by having the Wi-Fi signal pass through the front glass.

Another depressing sight is that the iPod touch 5G begins retailing at $299 for the low-end (32GB) unit. There is no longer an 8GB unit; in the past, the iPod touch has always started at $199 for the 8GB unit (it was $229 before Apple lowered it to $199). The steep $100 price hike just might be enough to make consumers consider an on-contract iPhone 5 for $199.

Being that the iPod touch 5G brings a number of great improvements to the lineup, the device seems like it is worth the price. It comes in a 32GB and 64GB model, $299 and $399 respectively. The pros certainly out-weigh the cons on this one. If you are considering the iPod touch, it will make a great Christmas or Birthday present for yourself, a friend, or a family member.

Sources: Apple Images by Apple, Inc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

299!?!?!? I don't see many of these being purchased. You'd think a 16g would be available for 199. You can find a refurbished iPad 2 for 299. This also makes me sad as though I was looking forward to a iPad mini at a reasonable price like 249. The Asus Nexus is looking better already.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I THINK only the backs are different colors. Seems like the front is only black or white, so (front color-back color) black-black, white-silver, white-blue, white-red, and white-yellow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If this is already commonly known then my bad for posting this xD
    Last edited by thile619; 09-12-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

I think the colors for the touch are a nice addition for the younger crowd but the nano is a complete Lumia rip off.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sadly the ipod only got a cosmetic upgrade, the bottom line is that since the ipod does not have to work on a network or need things like antennas and speakers then the processor is not really a big upgrade, my brother has a 4th gen and sometimes i compare my iphone 4 load times with his ipod, and most times he's it's faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    Sadly the ipod only got a cosmetic upgrade, the bottom line is that since the ipod does not have to work on a network or need things like antennas and speakers then the processor is not really a big upgrade, my brother has a 4th gen and sometimes i compare my iphone 4 load times with his ipod, and most times he's it's faster.
    It's not just a cosmetic upgrade at all. If you have a decent amount of jailbreak tweaks on your iPod Touch 4g it will slow down a lot. Hopefully the better processor and more RAM will allow me to run the same tweaks smoothly. Plus the camera doesn't suck anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    I think the colors for the touch are a nice addition for the younger crowd but the nano is a complete Lumia rip off.
    How is the nano a lumia rip off when the nano design is the same as the small square one it just replaced. The difference is that the new one is tall but it still is the same design

*T*
    Thanks

8GB just isn't enough anymore. Apple also did this to deter people from saying the iPhone and iPod Touch are the same thing. The loop thing is gonna be awesome, you just aren't used to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm tweaking the living **** out of my iPod if it had a gig of ram.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm glad they made the Nano a little bigger though.
    It was kinda too small. Now if I get one I won't have to hold it in my fingertips.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouthernindiana View Post
    299!?!?!? I don't see many of these being purchased.
    disagree, this holiday season i can see alot of people buying this for kids or themselves, since people already started 2 year-contract with carriers for the 4s, upgrading to a iphone 5 is going to be pricey unless your eligible, if not might run you $600 just for the 16GB.. plus since iPad mini wasn't mentioned this is going to be the closest thing to keeping up with apples pocket portable technology, I've watch people drop $299-500 on digital camera's, now that the ipod touch has a led flash.. i doubt cameras are going to sell this holiday season.. you have a camera/entertainment/gaming/communication rolled into one iDevice with 32GB being the lowest storage for $299, can't beat that. I'm about to sell my ipod touch 4g 8GB, hopefully get $80-100, to put towards the new touch before launch and before the value drops.. s*** I spent $250 for my 8GB ipt4g..
    Last edited by n0id; 09-13-2012 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

I really like the iPod Loop. Walking around with the iPod Touch in your hand is always a risky move - a lanyard around your wrist will certainly change the way it can be used. I don't mind that little black wifi window, either - it adds visual complexity where otherwise it would just be boring metal. I do agree that the camera lens protrusion is a little off-putting, but I'm positive they needed to compromise between thinness and a 5mp camera.

Minimalist design is attractive, but Apple fans have to be a little less uptight. Innovation happens! We should embrace change, especially with a company that likes to keep the same design for 2 or more years!

Thanks

Yes..overpriced. Will people buy it = of course. It will set them apart :]

Thanks
    Love this device definitely gonna buy it...Expected an A6 chip and a better camera(8 mp) though but it still looks and is better than the ipod touch 4g...great to have siri (spire sucked)....i hope they jailbreak iOS 6 on the quicks😃

Thanks

I believe the loop connector brings balance with the camera lens and that's why it sticks out in the first place. The whole concept of the loop is just stupid though.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 09-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

How is it overpriced at the same price point as last gen?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Overpriced for a 4 inch toy when you can save a 100 and get a nexus7. Besides that I was more so referring to the pricing on a iPad mini if it is released. There is no way it would cost less than the iTouch. A 7 inch iPad wouldn't be worth it for 350. Nevermind. There are obviously people that think otherwise.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    How is it overpriced at the same price point as last gen?
    Not overpriced, but it is a large and considerable leap from $199 for the base model. There is no longer an 8GB base model in this generation.

Thanks

It does seem pretty nice, i was thinking of buying one to mess around with siri, but not for $249.99, are you Crazy Apple? Id rather buy a forth gen ipod, jailbreak it and put siri on it; Id save about $100 bucks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTurret View Post
    It does seem pretty nice, i was thinking of buying one to mess around with siri, but not for $249.99, are you Crazy Apple? Id rather buy a forth gen ipod, jailbreak it and put siri on it; Id save about $100 bucks
    Truest me, if you dont have a newer iphone its well worrh the price jump.