+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Job Listings at Apple Hint iPod Connector Design Revamp

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    Thanks

Default New Job Listings at Apple Hint iPod Connector Design Revamp

A new pair of job postings on Apple’s “Jobs at Apple” webpage point toward the possibility of a redesign of the current 30-pin dock connector used by the company’s portable devices since the third generation iPod was released in 2003. The descriptions of the two identical listings are titled “Connector Design Engineer” and “Product Design Eng. – Connector.” Both are looking for a lead engineer who will be in charge of managing “multiple connector designs and developments” for the iPod.

From one the listings:

The Connector Design Engineer will be responsible for managing multiple connector designs and developments in support of the iPod product lines. Cross-functional development and consulting will be a major part of your daily work. As a Lead Engineer you be responsible for identifying appropriate connection technology requirements for new products and follow through with selection and development of suitable interconnect products. This will often involve adaptation of existing connectors or complete new designs. Interfacing with connector suppliers to direct and implement the necessary design changes or creation of completely new designs will also be a major part of your daily work.
    The tech giant has been rumored to be looking into replacing the iDevice connector for a long time now. Especially with the most recent reports noting that a change could help provide for much needed space in a next-generation iPhone. As of right now, parts from what is supposedly Apple’s upcoming handset show a significantly smaller dock connector hole at the base of the phone alongside a relocated headphone jack. If the photos are truly of the next-generation iPhone, the recently posted job openings could be for a project specifically tailored to the iPod line. If this did turn out to be true, then the iPod lineup could see a notable change to the “one-size-fits-all” 30-pin connector that is currently uniform to all iOS devices.

Source: Apple (1) (2)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Why apple why?? Why do you insist on taking my money??? My iPod cable works just fine, no need to design new ones :/

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Nor do we need a bigger phone in my opinion. Guess its natural progression..don't have to like it but have to accept what is created. Yes we will all have to go and buy a new charger and if we have older model apple products, we have to keep our old ones too yay!

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

It will be better so iPhones and iPods and iPads will charge faster . But if you have an iPhone 4S , will the cable work ? If not it sucks !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I honestly think they should be required to use MicroUSB cables, like most other phones are now using.

One cable design for all portable devices, thus when you buy a new phone, your old chargers and cables will work with it.

None of this let's make an adapter to allow these chargers to work junk.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Nor do we need a bigger phone in my opinion. Guess its natural progression..don't have to like it but have to accept what is created. Yes we will all have to go and buy a new charger and if we have older model apple products, we have to keep our old ones too yay!
    You don't need a new charger. Just a new cable, unelsss they some how do away with the USB connection but i think that would be stupid. In which case, in less then 3 weeks, the Chinese will come out with cheap copies anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LTechTalk View Post
    It will be better so iPhones and iPods and iPads will charge faster . But if you have an iPhone 4S , will the cable work ? If not it sucks !
    A new connector will not allow you to charge faster. An AC adapter with higher amperage will do this but at the cost of wearing out the battery sooner.
    Last edited by RyoSaeba; 05-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would like to vote for a mag-lock style connector. Kinda unlikely to happen, but inductive charging would be awesome. With WiFi syncing why do we even need a connector? Since firmware can now be upgraded wireless now, maybe this might be the direction they're going?

Thanks

Why reinvent the wheel? Instead of creating yet ANOTHER incompatible connector standard, just use micro USB. Cables, chargers and all kinds of adapters already exist. Come on Apple. The connector is nice and small too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sTrAnGe mOdS's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brazen1445 View Post
    I would like to vote for a mag-lock style connector. Kinda unlikely to happen, but inductive charging would be awesome. With WiFi syncing why do we even need a connector? Since firmware can now be upgraded wireless now, maybe this might be the direction they're going?
    I agree. I love the charger on my MacBook. Looks nice, easier to attach, and MUCH safer.
    But I can't really see them doing that anytime soon.

8GB iPod Touch 1G: 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.2 > 2.0 > 2.0.1 > 2.1 > 2.2 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.0.1 GM RedSn0wed
    16GB iPhone 3G > Sold $375 > iPhone 4: 4.2.8 > 5.0
    32GB iPad: 3.2 > 3.2.1 > Traded For MacBook > Traded + $500 For MacBook Pro

Thanks

Forget all that crap mentioned above.... what it really needs is USB 3.0. Now that would be awesome... of course you don't need a new connector for that as well.. just a new cable.

Thanks

I think this is great, just imagine how cheap old docks will become now their 'last season'!