+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Yosion Apple Peel 520 Makes the iPod Touch A Real iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Yosion Apple Peel 520 Makes the iPod Touch A Real iPhone

Here is a handy device you may not have known about. Many people buy an iPod touch because it is cheaper than an iPhone and then later on decide that they want an iPhone. In that strange turn of events, they sometimes decide that they don’t want the iPhone because the iPod touch mirrors the iPhone so closely and having both devices would feel redundant. You can use your old iPod touch as an iPhone for a fraction of the price of buying a new iPhone. The amazing device is called the Apple Peel 520.

The Apple Peel 520 works as a case for the iPod touch, but it has attachments inside that permit the iPod touch work as an iPhone would. The attachments include a SIM slot, external battery, and dock connector. A 22-year old Chinese programmer named Pan Yong created the device and it costs $119 in the United States, available today. To use it, you have to install some software on your iPod touch, which will give it SMS and calling capabilities – complements of the hardware in the Apple Peel 520. It also gives your iPod touch about 5 hours of talk time thanks to the extra battery.

Citing the Apple Peel 520 Web site, the device can be used on a monthly plan with AT&T or T-Mobile, or you can use a pay-as-you-go plan instead. It is fully compatible with the iPod touch 4G and comes with holes to compliment the cameras and the microphone. Sound quality for calls is assured to be crystal clear. The Apple Peel 520 is guaranteed to work around the world with your GSM cellular carrier. It comes with the following features:
    • GPRS Access: Access the internet in any country via the GPRS standard. This is perfect for those who need to be connected anytime, anywhere, whether at home, in the café or even in the library!
    • Custom Ringtones: Customize SMS and Call ringtones with your favourite songs, sounds and melodies! If you’re like us, then you’d love to personalize your iPod /iPhone so that everyone will notice.
    • Powerful Phone App: Yosion has developed an amazing phone application. Everything is almost like an original iPhone: caller ID, call history, address book and vibration mode – you won’t notice the difference!
    • FM Radio and Integrated Bluetooth: You can listen to almost ANY local radio station in your area while you’re jogging, having a walk or literally doing anything. Also, Bluetooth is integrated into the device with the possibility of using your own hands-free headset!

The company gives you a 15-day trial of the Apple Peel 520 and a money-back guarantee. With the ability to have whichever GSM carrier that you want, the ability to have no contracts, the ability to use it anywhere around the world, the ability to not need to buy a brand new iPhone when you own an iPod touch, some added hours of battery life, and a money back guarantee, I would say that the $119 price tag for the Apple Peel 520 is well worth it.

Sources: TheTechJournal
    This article was tipped by Modmyi reader inFamous2FoB.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-17-2012 at 09:13 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool, always wanted one when they first came out. Wanted something like it before it even came out when I had a blackberry and and ipod touch.
    Last edited by Natedawgster; 02-16-2012 at 07:36 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks! Great article as always Anthony keep up the good job!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Holy crap, I need someone to test this thing out. If this is true - and it does as it says - I'll just wait for new iPod touches to hit the market with this little wonder: iPhone models share similar pricing structure to the touches (with the entry level model for each being the only difference in storage capacity), but with $60 for the add-on, you are free of restrictions from cell phone providers, with the ability to go pre-paid/no-contract, plus world-phone capabilities for those that need it (I'm firmly rooted in the States, and I have no need for world travel), this thing is freaking amazing.

My only concern is that Apple will pull the app from the App Store, leaving this little guy high and dry, unless it's offered on Cydia, then this guy can live on forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool, I loved it, but the only advantage of it, it doesn`t support 3G n HSDPA yet

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Hi Anthony, Can you clarify: "unfortunately the Apple Peel 520 does not offer data services" and "Access the internet in any country via the GPRS standard." Those statements seem to contradict one another. What am I missing?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just wanna make something clear for everyone as far as I know your device has to be jailbroken for this to work.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raybeast View Post
    Verizon????
    No. Verizon is CDMA which is not GSM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I wanted one of these forever. Then I got an actual iPhone because of price and not wanting to switch from Verizon to a crappy service provider like AT&T or tmobile

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    I wanted one of these forever. Then I got an actual iPhone because of price and not wanting to switch from Verizon to a crappy service provider like AT&T or tmobile
    In my area Verizon has crappy service.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    In my area Verizon has crappy service.
    Same, but I use wifi when I'm home and near others wifi so that I don't have to worry about bad connection. Everywhere but is perfectly fine connection wise.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Want.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This actually sounds really nice.

Thanks

Volume Rockers are no more?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    what software? jailbreak? just wondering...

Thanks

Nice little addon. The apps look fairly solid as well.

It's just a shame to be limited to GPRS for mobile internet. Oh well, gotta take what you can get I suppose.

Thanks

Well I'll be damned! Pretty cool!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroShift View Post
    Nice little addon. The apps look fairly solid as well.

It's just a shame to be limited to GPRS for mobile internet. Oh well, gotta take what you can get I suppose.
    Is GPRS another name for EDGE/2G?

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

this is actually really really cool! I'll never need it... but it works for people that either want an unlocked iPhone for a reduced price, people that don't want to spend more money on an upgrade after getting an iPod touch, or people that are people helping people do things that are helpful.

Ok, so I only had two points.