+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: LunaTik Lynk Conversion Kit Ups the iPod Nano Watch Ante

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Scott Wilson raised nearly $1 million in funding back in 2010 via Kickstarter to make his iPod nano wrist watches a reality. Then Phill Schiller featured Wilson's creation during the
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Lunatik Lynk iPod Nano Watch Conversion Kit Ups the Nano Watch Ante

Scott Wilson raised nearly $1 million in funding back in 2010 via Kickstarter to make his iPod nano wrist watches a reality. Then Phill Schiller featured Wilson's creation during the unveiling of the seventh generation iPod nano. Now, Wilson is upping the ante this holiday season with the new LunaTik Lynk.

Wilson’s creation spawned numerous imitators and many currently litter the walls of Apple Store across the country. The new Lynk separates itself with itself with the same aero-space grade aluminum as the first. But, this time the wristband has been upgraded to a anodized aluminum with an upgraded silicone underbelly and butterfly clasp. Previous versions only used silicone wristbands.

Two versions of the LunaTik Lynk are available, the Silver ($129.95) and the Blackout model ($139.95). The Blackout carries a premium because of the Physical Vapor Deposition coating on the band to make sure the Matte Black finish does not degrade over time. According to The Verge the Lynk is light, almost deceptively so, and incredibly comfortable.

Wilson’s iPod nano watch bands and conversion kits are the bar by which others are measured. With the LunaTik Lynk Wilson ups the ante for the holiday shopping season. The conversion kits can be ordered now, but won’t ship till the week of December 5. For those interested in purchasing the Lynk, it's important to know the device is a conversion kit, not a snap-on watch band. Once the Lynk encases the iPod nano it's there for good, well unless someone feels like taking 10 minutes to take it apart and put it back together every day.

However, the biggest question, is it really worth buying a $140 conversion kit and a $129 8GB nano just to have a cool watch? Thats a $270 purchase minimum. It definitely is luxury and not a necessity. For those who already own the requisite multi-touch nano the price of entry is a little cheaper and more justifiable.

Source: LunaTik [via The Verge]
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 11-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

I absolutely love this and have been contemplating buying a Nano and this band for about a week now. Why the hesitation you ask? Well it makes for a $300 watch just because I think it's cool. I would only use it for a watch, at least 98% of the time. So... do I want to drop 300 bones on a "cool" watch? :scratch head:
    Damn that watch is sexy!

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

I almost mentioned the total cost of purchasing a nano and the wristband in the article. It adds up quick and definitely is a guilty pleasure. I think I'll add it to the end of the article.

Thanks

That's damn slick. I don't think I will be able to ever get this (lol, I'm just not that cool), but it is slick! Great design, great execution, it makes for a nice conversation piece. So yeah...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

$270 for a "watch" not bad. A lot of watches go for hundreds. My Seiko was $440. But having a nano as a watch for $270 is a steal. My girlfriend wants one so bad for Christmas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I absolutely love this and have been contemplating buying a Nano and this band for about a week now. Why the hesitation you ask? Well it makes for a $300 watch just because I think it's cool. I would only use it for a watch, at least 98% of the time. So... do I want to drop 300 bones on a "cool" watch? :scratch head:
    Damn that watch is sexy!

There are some cheaper alternatives on the apple store made from hex. They look similar

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

That nano does look bad ***. Can we still use the headphone jack?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

This is added to my Christmas list

Thanks
    Thanked 15,053 Times in 6,933 Posts

Mine too. See if Santa (my wife) is good to me this year

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have had mine since fathers day n I love it screw a Rolex !

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sexy huh..... Yeah, its a band and an iPod nano...... not a watch. If you're looking for sexy there are a ton of other real watches out there that put that combo to shame. Sorry but I have a certain vision of the type of person that would wear such a combo and I LOL when I think about that person. It's a nano ffs people. I however say more power to any one that wants to rock this combo.... I'll just be laughing at them when I do see them. But what do I know, I'm kinda an *** anyway.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After testing both for an extended period of time, the black lunatik seems to show more scratches and scuffs(subject to daily use in a work enviornment). Either way they both look sexy and official. Also helps that apple finally released alternative clocks screens in the new ios5 update.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No there's not and I like to put people who laugh at me in arm bars or choke em out.

Thanks
    a watch that needs to be charged & is not water proof what so ever.biggest reason why it can't be used as a watch for a long term.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    There are some cheaper alternatives on the apple store made from hex. They look similar
    I did research the Hex line also. While not as attractive or as protected as the LunaTik model to me, it still may be the band I get mostly due to the lower cost.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Article: LunaTik Lynk Conversion Kit Ups the iPod Nano Watch Ante-1317780633_productdesc_main_image_1305383734_productdesc_main_image_metal-header-new.jpg   Article: LunaTik Lynk Conversion Kit Ups the iPod Nano Watch Ante-screen-shot-2011-11-21-12.04.26-am.png  
    Last edited by luvmytj; 11-20-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I did research the Hex line also. While not as attractive as the LunaTik model to me, it still may be the band I get mostly due to the lower cost.

Bump

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ya, no thanks. I actually thought about getting this combo (nano + band) but decided against it. Until Apple adds bluetooth, which would make this umpteen times more useful, I won't be buying. My example? Imwatch.it Apple take note please.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i think the Nano looks cool and fashionable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's perfect. All I need is a watch that I will forget to recharge every night.It looks great though. If I was Wilson, I would look into making the side look a little better. Maybe a solid side with buttons that would extend/push the Nano's buttons, kinda like the Apple bumper.

Thanks

Just pre-ordered the black one on Cyber Monday. They offered a 20% off coupon, so my total came to $132.81 which included $20 for expedited shipping. My 8GB Nano that I ordered off of Amazon for $119 should be here before that.My only concern is that it will look too huge on my tiny wrist, but I guess we'll see. I did ping LunaTik and confirmed that links can be removed for a custom fit.