+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Siri Port to Older Devices In Process via Jailbreak Hackers

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
One of the highlights of Apple's keynote today was the demonstration of their upcoming assistant software Siri . It's innovative voice-recognition technology was a major hit and leverage point for
    Thanks

Default Siri Port to Older Devices In Process via Jailbreak Hackers

One of the highlights of Apple's keynote today was the demonstration of their upcoming assistant software Siri. It's innovative voice-recognition technology was a major hit and leverage point for the new upcoming iPhone 4S. The only letdown about Siri is that it is exclusively for the iPhone 4S. This may be a buying point for some people however that may not be the case for most people. For those of us that are jailbreak users, we may not have to upgrade to get Siri functionality. Infamous sn0wbreeze creator iH8sn0w (@iH8sn0w) and John Heaton (@Gojohnnyboi) have already given a stab at porting Siri to older devices.

The picture shown is an iPod touch 4G trying to utilize Siri using the iOS 5 GM. At this time, the only components that work is the dock, and the little "bing" sound when activated. The error shown is where they are currently stuck.

One might ask; how does one go about trying to enable Siri on your version of iOS 5 GM? The process is definitely not easy as iH8sn0w is explaining to me on Skype:

Quote Originally Posted by iH8sn0w;
    It's definitely not just a plist value that you have to change in order to get Siri. Thus far, it has required a lot of searching and digging. After sending all the known information to John, I'm beginning to find that it is much harder than expected. We're using an iPod touch 4G now but our aim is to port it to all devices that Apple won't support. At this point, we're unsure of whether Siri requires certain hardware components or not. At this point, we can't say but are still trying. After buying the iPhone 4S myself, I will be looking to see if there are any new files that are not available on the current iOS 5 version. This might be our stopping point.
    Hopefully they continue their efforts - it would be well worth it!

Follow both iH8sn0w (@iH8sn0w) and John (@Gojohnnyboi) to stay tuned on their progress.

Source(s): iH8sn0w
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 10-04-2011 at 09:08 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua Tucker For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (10-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Yes please.

Thanks

I'm with you Cer0! Myself and everyone i know would love this on the i4 or any other device for that matter. Keep up the good work and my fingers are crossed.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yes. This will help us hold in to iPhone 4 till the real upgrade.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

Its kind of annoying that its an i4S thing. I believe without a doubt that the i4 is MORE than capable of using Siri (just like mirroring that for some reason is disabled?!). There really is no excuse this time. (I can understand the 3G not getting multitasking) Just another ploy to get people to buy a device that is honestly not that "advanced". So port away my fellow jailbreakers and let apple know this crap should not be tolerated.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good luck! Porting Siri to older devices is a great idea.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iFrosty View Post
    Its kind of annoying that its an i4S thing. I believe without a doubt that the i4 is MORE than capable of using Siri (just like mirroring that for some reason is disabled?!). There really is no excuse this time. (I can understand the 3G not getting multitasking) Just another ploy to get people to buy a device that is honestly not that "advanced". So port away my fellow jailbreakers and let apple know this crap should not be tolerated.
    +100

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iFrosty View Post
    Agreed!!! Just like the 3Gs when it came out..... Hey!, new feature (sarcasm inserted here)..... Video recording. Thas not new!!! We've been doing that in the jailbreak community for about a year now with Cycorder.

Same situation. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. But who knows yet??? Other than apple and their "here's what's new" attitude.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,056 Times in 1,696 Posts

What a pointless article. I'm working on a rocket to Venus but it might not work either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    What a pointless article. I'm working on a rocket to Venus but it might not work either.
    Not really pointless. There has already been several posts across the board asking if this was going to happen. And at least this article shows that 2 developers already have plans to get to work on this right away.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Would be great to have.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

Whaaaaaaat! I sooo hope sooo!!!

Thanks

kool news...keep it up!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LUFT5_THOR View Post
    Not as pointless as your post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I would donate alot of money for a good working port of siri. Apple's ******** of not putting it on the older devices really aggervates me. I will not be getting the 4S because of that bs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrummer1226 View Post
    I would donate alot of money for a good working port of siri. Apple's ******** of not putting it on the older devices really aggervates me. I will not be getting the 4S because of that bs.
    Maybe apple had a A5 requirement

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

would be awesome.. the only issue i cant see them getting past is the deep integration into the os.. that is unless seri is in all the ios 5 versions just not enabled

Thanks

I would donate and pay money for this port if they can get it to work. As long as its cheaper than paying what I'll have to pay for the 4S, I'm all for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrummer1226 View Post
    LOLWHUT? Most people who want Siri will likely just get the 4S. But you're NOT going to get the 4S because you can't get Siri on older devices? Sounds like some kind of nonsense boycott to me.

Thanks

smh..siri: apples new technology..rrrrright. Thats why it was an app in the app store for about 2 years right ?