+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumor Mill Suggests 3G iPod Touch Finally Coming

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Given how long it's been since Apple last rolled out a new mobile device, expectations are high ahead of the looming iPhone 5 reveal, which may possibly transpire before the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Rumor Mill Suggests 3G iPod Touch Finally Coming

Given how long it's been since Apple last rolled out a new mobile device, expectations are high ahead of the looming iPhone 5 reveal, which may possibly transpire before the end of this month. The latest rumor from the tech community, however, has nothing to do with the 5th-generation iPhone. Instead, this one says a modern must-have mobile attribute may finally be coming to one of Apple's oldies but goodies: the iPod touch.

Based on what we're hearing, the iPod touch may be refreshed with 3G capabilities to make on-the-go connectivity a reality for the Apple product. Sources dishing their insider tips to AppleNApps reveal that a 3G-ready iPod touch is coming. In fact, it may be introduced at the same time the iPhone 5 is rolled out.

"The fifth generation iPod Touch will be most like a mini-iPad with the same type of 3G connectivity," the report reads. Supposedly, Apple has deals in place with its carrier partners for interested users to make non-contract monthly payments, similar to the arrangements users have with their iPad. Based on what the source reveals, the 3G iPod touch will look remarkably similar to the fourth generation model.

Naturally, don't expect any voice capabilities, as Apple all but certainly doesn't want the iPhone to lose its luster or have its thunder stolen. Still, 3G connectivity could lend a burst of new life to the iPod touch, especially in the forthcoming era of the iCloud.

Source: AppleNApps

Thanks

Jailbreaking + new iPod touch = Cheaper but just as good as iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exactly. Google voice, skype, etc + an ear piece and you're good to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

So basically... the next iPhone is coming?

iPhone? More like MyPhone <(O)> Device's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    It may be cheaper as far as the device itself goes but don't forget your monthly friend known as "The Bill". Cell service isn't free sadly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vandale View Post
    Exactly what I was seeing. I don't even think you would really need to jailbreak. You could probably just use Google Voice or one of the many other services for texting and a VoIP provider for voice.

Quote Originally Posted by <(O)> Device View Post
    It may be cheaper as far as the device itself goes but don't forget your monthly friend known as "The Bill". Cell service isn't free sadly
    The monthly bill will also be much cheaper though, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by andypropaganda; 09-07-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    iEat. iSleep. iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The iPod Touch is basically an iPhone without the phone part.

So can someone explain why putting the phone part into an iPod Touch doesn't just make it identical to an iPhone now?
    An since iPod Touches aren't subsidized by Mobile Carriers, an iPod Touch 3G should cost $500/$600 (the same price as an unsubsidized iPhone)
    So why would Apple think people are going to pay $500 for an iPod Touch 3G (and a monthly data plan fee) when it would be much better value to just get an iPhone for much much less and probably pay the same amount per month on a mobile plan anywho.

If Apple does release an iPod Touch 3G, I hope the jailbreak community unlocks the device to be able to make and receive calls and basically do all the phone features of an iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'd buy one, especially if it's $15/month for 250mb (cancel/restart no contract). I don't want an iPhone because I don't want to pay $500/year to talk. My prepaid cell phone costs $100/year for 1000 minutes, and I always have balance to rollover. But, I would love to have data practically everywhere on my iPod when travelling. It fit's in my pocket much better than an iPad.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

So can someone explain why putting the phone part into an iPod Touch doesn't just make it identical to an iPhone now?
    Everything about the iPod Touch is designed to be an iPod, not an MP3 player. For example, it's much thinner and thus the smaller battery isn't meant to handle the extra demand that having phone functionality would require. In fact, there have already been conversion kits in the form of cases that you can buy in China which have GSM chipset and an extra battery built in - they effectively transform jailbroken iPod Touches into iPhones.

Exactly. Google voice, skype, etc + an ear piece and you're good to go.
    The Google Voice app (at least for iOS) is not true VOIP, it still routes via a voice call to one of Google's call centers, very much like how Skype for BlackBerry works. Skype for iOS is a true VOIP app, but if you really ever tried to use it as a phone, streaming voice over 3G, your battery would die in an hour.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

An since iPod Touches aren't subsidized by Mobile Carriers, an iPod Touch 3G should cost $500/$600 (the same price as an unsubsidized iPhone)
    So why would Apple think people are going to pay $500 for an iPod Touch 3G (and a monthly data plan fee) when it would be much better value to just get an iPhone for much much less and probably pay the same amount per month on a mobile plan anywho.

If Apple does release an iPod Touch 3G, I hope the jailbreak community unlocks the device to be able to make and receive calls and basically do all the phone features of an iPhone.
    Putting the phone part into the touch won't make it identical to the iphone because it will probably have inferior hardware to the new iphone (like the camera). Also, users who want native calling will still want to buy an iphone with a service plan because while using a 3rd party voip app does work, it is data intensive and will be choppy on a weak 3g connection.

It will probably still be cheaper and won't need to be more expensive without being subsidized because the hardware will be cheaper.

Finally, it might be cheaper to buy an iphone if you already plan on signing up for 2 years of service and buying a voice and data package but for users who only want data (such as myself) it will still be much cheaper over the course of 2 years to buy a pre or postpaid data plan and be contract free.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

If it looks like that, I'm going to cry

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Won't have an ear piece so won't be anything like an iPhone more like a mini iPad 3G!! Just my 2 pence worth

iPhone? More like MyPhone ericwall's Avatar
    Thanks

If I want a 3G iDevice....I would get an iPhone. A 3G iPod Touch is useless.

Thanks

If the new iPod Touch 3G models require a micro SIM card, will I be able to use the micro SIM card on my iPhone 4 on the new iPod Touch?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesey123 View Post
    mini iPad 3G
    iPad Nano

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Blah the iPods are becoming more like an iPhone each generation. Why can't apple just merge the iPod and iPhone into one instead of being a money hog!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This is not gonna happen.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd consider this over my phone if I could still get unlimited data with the touch, but being that they don't offer it on iPad either, this is extremely unlikely. Makes more sense for me to stay on a family plan with unlimited texting with the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by jose060789 View Post
    If the new iPod Touch 3G models require a micro SIM card, will I be able to use the micro SIM card on my iPhone 4 on the new iPod Touch?
    Probably. AFAIK you can use the sim from your iPhone in an iPad, so I see no reason why this would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Blah the iPods are becoming more like an iPhone each generation. Why can't apple just merge the iPod and iPhone into one instead of being a money hog!
    This would be going backwards. The iPod touch was born as a direct result of iPhone demand as a media player. They are catering to different groups of people with different needswants. I see nothing wrong with this.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-07-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Surely if this is true they will have wifi and 3G versions like the iPad?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Just imagine a 3G iPod touch! Having a plan at 20 to 30 a month with unlimited text messaging and web! Every kid in school would be able to now connect with their parents! I've always said when they add not only 3G but text messaging it'll blow up just like pagers did back in the day! Mark my word!