Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Future iPod Touch Referenced in Apple's iOS 5 Beta

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Future iPod Touch Referenced in Apple's iOS 5 Beta

Try as they might, Apple can't hide everything. Although the notoriously secretive company rarely dishes on unannounced projects, sometimes they don't have to for us to pick up on clues regarding forthcoming product releases, refreshes, or updates. The latest nugget of knowledge comes from the first beta of iOS 5.

According to a developer at iFans, references to an "iPod 4,2" have been uncovered. The current generation iPod touch is referenced as "iPod 4,1." Of course, it should come as no shocker that Apple is planning to upgrade the iPod touch at some point in the near future, as the company routinely does. Still, for some, it's mighty reassuring to be clued in that future refreshes are still planned

In recent weeks, confusion has run rampant as it pertains to Apple's upcoming plans for the iPod touch. When Apple announced its "Back to School" promotion earlier this month, no longer would a free iPod touch accompany the purchase of a qualified Mac. This reality prompted no shortage of speculation as to why Apple wasn't attempting to clear out its present inventory before a possible September iPod touch refresh, per annual tradition.

However, with the annual summer tradition of a new iPhone release being shelved this year, it isn't outrageous to think that Apple will similarly push the next iPod touch release well into fall if not into early 2012. At this moment in time, we simply have no concrete evidence to suggest when the next iPod touch referenced in iOS 5 will be released. If I were a betting man, though, I still wouldn't rule out a joint iPhone/iPod touch spectacle from Apple in the September time-frame we keep hearing about.

Source: iFans

I can't wait to see the new iPod Touch and iPhone, I might need to upgrade mine when they come out. Does anyone know if Verizon will let you upgrade iPhones?

I want to see an upgraded nano that has a gps built in and the ability to run the Nike+ or other running/health/hiking apps. With the ability to wear it on your wrist and have music, gps and heart rate monitor it would finally be everything all in one!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    I want to see an upgraded nano that has a gps built in and the ability to run the Nike+ or other running/health/hiking apps. With the ability to wear it on your wrist and have music, gps and heart rate monitor it would finally be everything all in one!!
    I do know the Nano 5G/6G have a pedometer in them, but that's about it.

What I'd like to see is a convergence of the iPod nano, shuffle, and touch lines--a Nano 6G-sized device (maybe a bit thicker and a bit longer, no clip in return) with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, FM radio, a camera, accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, and running full-blown iOS. Sell 16-32-64 GB for 200-300-400 USD.

If anyone can pull it off, it's Apple...

OT: The iPod4,2 findings in the beta firmware aren't anything new--pretty sure that marker has been in there since the iOS 4.2 beta... I'm guessing the next iPod will be 5,1 (simply because it'll likely use the same SoC as the iPad and possibly iPhone of that model year--the S5L8940).