Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Back to School Promo May Be All About The Gift Cards

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Back to School Promo May Be All About The Gift Cards

Although it isn't yet crystal clear what Apple has planned for Wednesday, a day about which there have been no shortage of possible product and promotion launch rumors, we're hearing more and more rumblings about the prospect of tomorrow bringing with it the start of this year's "Back to School" promotion.

Of course, there's already mixed feelings among some Apple fans regarding what is rumored to be on the table for this year's promotion. Unfortunately, one of my Apple retail store contacts says that "it" is definitely happening. If so, gone are the days of a free iPod touch with the purchase of a new Mac. Instead, we're hearing the same thing our friends around the tech blogosphere have heard. If tomorrow does, in fact, bring the start of Back to School, it will be a gift card giveaway bonanza.

As we understand it, Apple will be giving away a $100 iTunes gift card with every purchase of a new Mac. Although some will likely be pleased - and others disappointed - with this change in tradition, a larger question is begging to be asked: why isn't Apple trying to rid its current iPod touch inventory if an early fall release is on tap for new iDevices, including, naturally, the iPhone and, per tradition, the iPod touch?

I'm not exactly sold on the prospect of Apple exclusively focusing on the gift card giveaway with this year's promotion. We've heard from too many sources that the gift card approach is happening to totally disregard it. But it would seem more likely that the gift cards just collectively represent one aspect of this year's special Back to School offers.

What would you rather have: a new iPod touch or a $100 iTunes gift card?

Source: Ubergizmo

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

What a joke, lets hope this is not true.

That sucks, iPod is much better than a $100 gift card. But I'm holding off on getting a Mac this year for college, gonna get my first Mac when they do a whole new refresh. Apparently next year the Mac is going to change completely.

who wouldnt take an ipod over 100 gift card

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Aw shucks. I thought it would be an iPad to compete with Windows' free XBox

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Was waiting to buy one to get the free ipod! And geesh Apple school just got out... let us enjoy the summer and don't rush the fall! lol

F**k u f**king *** wtf dude i want a free ipod touch

Suck my d**k

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

i really hope it's not just an itunes gift card and that it is still an ipod touch. I been holding off getting an iMac for this promotion I'll be disappointed if it is just a gift card. If it is a gift card to itunes, then indeed Microsoft wins this year haha.

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Was waiting to buy one to get the free ipod! And geesh Apple school just got out... let us enjoy the summer and don't rush the fall! lol
    LOL not for me... yay summer classes to hopefully graduate on time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

"What would you rather have: a new iPod touch or a $100 iTunes gift card?"

Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a $100 gift card I can only spend on software than a $300+ iPod Touch that if I really didn't want I could easily sell for 2 or 3 times the value of this gift card. Who's with me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    "What would you rather have: a new iPod touch or a $100 iTunes gift card?"

Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a $100 gift card I can only spend on software than a $300+ iPod Touch that if I really didn't want I could easily sell for 2 or 3 times the value of this gift card. Who's with me?
    It only makes sense!

Apple Typically seems to not care if they loose money. I feel that the gift card would disappoint more customers than those feeling rewarded for buying a mac and getting 100$.
    I'd opt for the ipod touch. Lets' hope this is a joke..

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Sooo lame, I want the iPod Touch! No one cares for a iTunes gift card worth $100! What happened to the good old days when you would buy a Mac and get a free printer and an iPod Touch?!?! Those days need to come back!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Sooo lame, I want the iPod Touch! No one cares for a iTunes gift card worth $100! What happened to the good old days when you would buy a Mac and get a free printer and an iPod Touch?!?! Those days need to come back!
    I'm pretty sure you can still get a free printer I went to an apple web page that had the education deals they were still doing and 100 bucks off a printer is still there the printer people got for freewas a 100 dallor printer I did that deal before fresan year with the free iPod too

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can still get a free printer I went to an apple web page that had the education deals they were still doing and 100 bucks off a printer is still there the printer people got for freewas a 100 dallor printer I did that deal before fresan year with the free iPod too
    Yeah I got a free printer with mine too, but I haven't seen the iPod Touch and Printer together for awhile. It would be nice to have that sweet deal back

Thanks

yeah those are two separate deals though the printer one is always there then the ipod one is just over the summer hopefully they still do the ipod this summer. now it's wednesday and it's looking like there isn't anything new being released i was hoping it was the back to school announcement

LAAMMMEE AppleInsider | Apple's Back to School' Promo starts tomorrow, offers $100 iTunes Gift Card