+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Batteries May be in Short Supply Following Quake in Japan

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default iPod Batteries May be in Short Supply Following Quake in Japan

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Apple may be facing a shortage of lithium polymer batteries that are used in its iPod line of music players. The bottleneck appears to be coming from a relatively obscure Japanese chemical maker that was forced to shutdown following the recent disaster in Japan.

According to the Wall Street Journal, “Kureha, which has a 70% share of the global market for a crucial polymer used in lithium-ion batteries, had to shut its factory in Iwaki—near the quake's epicenter—after the March 11 disaster struck. It is the only place where Kureha makes this particular polymer.”

Following the disaster, the company now plans on moving much of its production overseas. The factory appears to have survived the quake relatively undamaged, however, the nearby port wasn't so lucky. Unfortunately, it was severely damaged. Until the port is up and running again, the plant cannot receive the raw materials necessary to continue production of this crucial polymer. Small companies such as this may not be well known outside of Japan, but they provide essential components for many types of high end products. Until production resumes, Apple may be forced to find another source for iPod batteries or delay production altogether.

Part of the reason that lithium polymer batteries are so attractive to electronics manufactures is because of the fact that they are so pliable. Because of this, batteries can be manufactured to fit into smaller, more usual spaces then with more traditional rigid types of batteries. The shortage of lithium polymer batteries will most likely affect other manufacturers as well as Apple. Any manufacturer currently looking to use lithium polymer batteries in their electronic devices may have to look elsewhere until production is up and running at full capacity again. Unfortunately, because the disaster in Japan was so widespread, there is no way of knowing when production will resume. If you're in the market for an iPod, you may want to buy one sooner rather than later.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

That's not good. Don't they make all the parts in China?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NikeJS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by delusion950 View Post
    That's not good. Don't they make all the parts in China?
    o.o I thought so too..is it? I hope Japan is doin alright though

Thanks

I hope they're doing okay towards recovering.

See even on the battery says assembled in China.
    Last edited by delusion950; 03-30-2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

assembled in china....last time i checked china was located in....china....not japan? maybe parts come from japan to be assembled in china.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Most pieces come from all over the world and shipped to China. It is there where the product gets assembled. China does however produce some parts required for most products but the majority is usually imported and only assembled there due to the low cost of labor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    assembled in china....last time i checked china was located in....china....not japan? maybe parts come from japan to be assembled in china.
    Maybe they do come from Japan.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple Solution: Buy new iPod when battery no longer functions!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah... It says the crucial polymer is made in Japan so I guess your right!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does this not affect iPhones and iPads etc? Do they not use the same type of battery?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I read this story yesterday on MACRUMORS.com, seem like this site is gets its stories from other sites.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    I read this story yesterday on MACRUMORS.com, seem like this site is gets its stories from other sites.
    This site must be for those who don't want to bother searching the entire interwebz for the latest news. Now they can get it all in one place

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atm_10142k View Post
    You can go to 4-5 different sites and read the same story, it's called news and everyone posts their version of it.

I think Apple will be just fine. I hope that everyone in Japan is doing alright, wish them a speedy recovery!

Thanks

The second paragraph says "a crucial polymer inside the batteries," not the battery as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

Off topic.. My friend is waiting for the uNlock for 4.2.1 but it's not out yet and he was searching online and came across this website applenberry.com and they claim to sell a mini sim that unlocks the iPhone 4 up until ios4.3 they even have a video on there website demonstrating the sim doing it's work and yup it does show the iPhone 4 unlocked for t-mobile on 4.2.1 but the sim unlock runs for $65.
    Just wanna know has any one heard about this or seen this in the works as well cause my friend is thinking of buying it since there's no word on how long musclenerd will release his unlock?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Off topic.. My friend is waiting for the uNlock for 4.2.1 but it's not out yet and he was searching online and came across this website applenberry.com and they claim to sell a mini sim that unlocks the iPhone 4 up until ios4.3 they even have a video on there website demonstrating the sim doing it's work and yup it does show the iPhone 4 unlocked for t-mobile on 4.2.1 but the sim unlock runs for $65.
    Just wanna know has any one heard about this or seen this in the works as well cause my friend is thinking of buying it since there's no word on how long musclenerd will release his unlock?
    This thread is about a shortage of batteries because of a crucial polymer ingredient, from Japan! Why wouldn't u start ur own thread, instead of "attempting" to hi-jack this one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    This thread is about a shortage of batteries because of a crucial polymer ingredient, from Japan! Why wouldn't u start ur own thread, instead of "attempting" to hi-jack this one?

Am not attempting to do anything but ask a question just as any one else would.
    Why don't you show me how to post my own thread without having to be on the modmyi staff and I'll gladly post one asking my question there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Apple Solution: Buy new iPod when battery no longer functions!
    How are you supposed to buy a new ipod when the battery production has slowed?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    How are you supposed to buy a new ipod when the battery production has slowed?
    Leftover inventories? How long does it take for these batteries to lose their charging efficiency to the point where it needs to be replaced?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Leftover inventories? How long does it take for these batteries to lose their charging efficiency to the point where it needs to be replaced?
    Too many variables to know for sure. How long you've owned it, how long it's been used, temperature at which it's sat or been used, abuse,neglect, so many things.