Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Batteries May be in Short Supply Following Quake in Japan

My iPhone is a Part of Me Rob2G's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Am not attempting to do anything but ask a question just as any one else would.
    Why don't you show me how to post my own thread without having to be on the modmyi staff and I'll gladly post one asking my question there.
    Click forums at the top of your page, then find the appropriate sub forum and click that. At the top of the forum list you should see a button that says new thread or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2G View Post
    Click forums at the top of your page, then find the appropriate sub forum and click that. At the top of the forum list you should see a button that says new thread or something like that.
    Good to know thank you.
    This way I now know for next time since my question was already answered by a staff member of MMI.

Yep another reason things should be "Made In America"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Too many variables to know for sure. How long you've owned it, how long it's been used, temperature at which it's sat or been used, abuse,neglect, so many things.
    Would you say on average an iPod would last at least 2 years on a battery?

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Would you say on average an iPod would last at least 2 years on a battery?
    Possibly but in all honesty it just would depend on how many cycles the battery has gone through. Most rechargeable batteries have a standard life cycle known as recharge cycles. It's the amount of times a battery has gone fully charged to depleted then back to it's fully charged state which counts as one full cycle. Most batteries have a life cycle of about 300 charges. So depending on use, a person can go a year or two before even noticing that the battery is starting to degrade. Even then, most batteries still have about 70%-90% life in them. The iPod will probably wont last as long as it used to, but still hold enough charge to enjoy some music. This is of course keeping with the rule of letting your battery die out completely at least once a month as these batteries are made to be used and not always plugged in as that too can destroy the life of the battery.

I have had an iPod mini 2nd gen since 2005 and the battery is still in working order. I hardly use it because it has since been replaced with my iPhone over the years from the first gen to the iPhone 4, but when I do decide to use the iPod mini, the battery is still good as new. It has lasted me more than 5 years and still going strong.
    Last edited by djrbx; 03-30-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    Possibly but in all honesty it just would depend on how many cycles the battery has gone through. Most rechargeable batteries have a standard life cycle known as recharge cycles. It's the amount of times a battery has gone fully charged to depleted then back to it's fully charged state which counts as one full cycle. Most batteries have a life cycle of about 300 charges. So depending on use, a person can go a year or two before even noticing that the battery is starting to degrade. Even then, most batteries still have about 70%-90% life in them. The iPod will probably wont last as long as it used to, but still hold enough charge to enjoy some music. This is of course keeping with the rule of letting your battery die out completely at least once a month as these batteries are made to be used and not always plugged in as that too can destroy the life of the battery.

I have had an iPod mini 2nd gen since 2005 and the battery is still in working order. I hardly use it because it has since been replaced with my iPhone over the years from the first gen to the iPhone 4, but when I do decide to use the iPod mini, the battery is still good as new. It has lasted me more than 5 years and still going strong.
    Well in that case lets just say that at the very worst it would last a year. I highly doubt Apple will have this shortage for an entire one YEAR span. That's a long time to be without crucial product materials.

I think this "shortage" is being blown way out of proportion. They'll handle it quickly.....anything that involves Apple and a potential loss of revenue is guaranteed to be handled expeditiously....unlike some other things which I will not go into.

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    Well in that case lets just say that at the very worst it would last a year. I highly doubt Apple will have this shortage for an entire one YEAR span. That's a long time to be without crucial product materials.

I think this "shortage" is being blown way out of proportion. They'll handle it quickly.....anything that involves Apple and a potential loss of revenue is guaranteed to be handled expeditiously....unlike some other things which I will not go into.
    I completely agree. This shortage does effect supplies currently but not as much as the article states. Most companies have an out. It's just part of the plan. Especially when deals go south, a company needs a secondary supplier that can offer the same product. Without an emergency plan, situations like these could cause companies to go under which is not what investors want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

Thing will spring back.
    My latest theme - -

I predict there will be little to no effect to any batteries, including Apple or the rest! With today's outsourcing & contracting, a replacement supplier can be found very easy. The only way this would be an issue is if the worlds supply of this "crucial polymer," was located within Japanese soil. Fear breeds consumption, get b'aaaaaaa b'aaaaaaa back in line sheep! For those of u thinking of stock piling batteries now, u can sell them in the future & make tons of money like all the scalpers hoarding tickets to the Charlie Sheen "FIASCO" tour! Lol, Apple is to prepared to let something this minuscule impede production of any iDevice! (By "minuscule," I'm referring to the "crucial polymer ingredient" shortage itself. Not the devastation & destruction the Tsunami has caused Japan!)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MYPHONEI's Avatar
    Thanks

Can't Apple just buy them on EBay? Lol ( just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    Off topic.. My friend is waiting for the uNlock for 4.2.1 but it's not out yet and he was searching online and came across this website applenberry.com and they claim to sell a mini sim that unlocks the iPhone 4 up until ios4.3 they even have a video on there website demonstrating the sim doing it's work and yup it does show the iPhone 4 unlocked for t-mobile on 4.2.1 but the sim unlock runs for $65.
    Just wanna know has any one heard about this or seen this in the works as well cause my friend is thinking of buying it since there's no word on how long musclenerd will release his unlock?
    If ur using the app go to forums then go to the appropriate topic. After that, hit the button at the top right then hit new topic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12