Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Supposedly Relaxes LCI-Related iPod Repair Policy

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Supposedly Relaxes LCI-Related iPod Repair Policy

Apple is believed to be relaxing its stringent iPod repair policy with regard to devices that reveal a triggered liquid sensor. As many iDevice owners have unfortunately experienced, the liquid contact indicator (LCI) can herald an end to the warranty on your freshly damaged device. And for as long as Apple has been utilizing liquid contact indicators, Apple customers have been thwarted in their hopes of getting their water damaged iPods repaired by the Cupertino tech-giant.

On Monday, however, MacGeneration published a recently discovered repair document indicating that iPods with an activated LSI may still, in fact, be eligible for repair under Apple's warranty but only if the device shows no other visible outward signs of physical water damage. Time magazine's TechLand reports that the tweaked Apple repair policy may be the result of the recent Korean case where a father sued Apple on behalf of his 13-year-old daughter who was turned away from Apple and denied warranty protection when her iPhone 3G was suspected of water damage.

Regardless of the reason that prompted the relaxed rules, we all know that liquid contact indicators are remarkably sensitive and can, in some cases, be triggered by nothing more than the sweat from a user's hands after a workout. Consequently, Apple users in need of repair may find some comfort in the new policy, which seemingly makes the issue of true water damage a subjective call on the part of Apple personnel.

Time/TechLand

Thanks
    Nice, same for iphones? :') Actually I just got my iphone 4 replaced after having it since 07/23 as it suddenly started slowing down

P.S. I paid 0$
    Last edited by aboudiiiiii; 01-31-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aboudiiiiii For This Useful Post:

coolduckey (01-31-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aboudiiiiii View Post
    Nice, same for iphones? :') Actually I just got my iphone 4 replaced after having it since 07/23 as it suddenly started slowing down

P.S. I paid 0$
    My girls did the same and they replaced it no charge.

Awesome!

Every time it rains I always freak out because I have to carefully shield my iPad from getting wet at all. At least I can breathe a little easier now..

P.S. I paid 0$
    Slowing down????? How?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DarkDragonAn's Avatar
    Thanks

I get my iPhone replace just because I get a scratch or the side get a little dent. I work on a radiogist office, so I put my iphone in the MRI machine and then I get a New iPhone on the spot with on question ask. Oh Yeah! the vibration switch is the only thing that will die, but the iPhone will work with no problem on the MRI is you want to hear some music.

My dad's gf got her 3Gs screen replaced for free

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got the 2 year warranty from Square trade ... Problem Solved !!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope people do not misunderstand what they are saying. They are not saying they will repair it. It clearly states ipod not iphone or ipad and secondly it also cleary states that "It MAY BE ELIGIBLE" Keyword "MAY" so they still do not have to. If they feel that way. So dude keep your ipad under lock and key when it comes to rain and i wouldnt breathe easier one bit. Man one drop of that ipad you can say goodbye to that screen. seriously dont think they'll just start dropping iphones, ipod, and ipads. Whats next My 4 year old macbook still under warrenty, highly doubt that will even happen. Highly doubt if i drop my iphone in water they'll replace it. Its not like it says... "We do not cover water damage everywhere"

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

I don't get it why not just put those things that ketchup bottles have, like the small plastic on the tip inside where ketchup can only go one way... so on the headphone jack you just need to apply a little pressure and it goes through but water wont... idk might work for the 30pin connecter too.. just sayin...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can confirm this, about 2 weeks ago I took my 2nd gen iPod touch in to the apple store because it had been "glitching" off and on every couple seconds and the guy looked at the head jack and said that there was water damage, so I complained and he said, "For today only, just for you I'll give you a new one "wink"" I'm a guy, he scared me, but at least I got a new iPod!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragonAn View Post
    I get my iPhone replace just because I get a scratch or the side get a little dent. I work on a radiogist office, so I put my iphone in the MRI machine and then I get a New iPhone on the spot with on question ask. Oh Yeah! the vibration switch is the only thing that will die, but the iPhone will work with no problem on the MRI is you want to hear some music.
    That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You can't have something with that much metal on an MRI when it's on, or near it. An MRI is a large series of powerful magnets and will suck the device inside.

Why post an obvious lie like that in here??

A while back my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 3GS in a pool while we were on a cruise. The phone still worked after we dried it out but the home button was really glitchy. We brought it to apple and the guy said that the lci sensor was triggered, but they replaced it anyways. Apple care is really top notch IMO
    Is my girlfriend the only one that gets mad at me because I spend too much time with my iPhone?

I broke my iPhone 4 screen and apple just gime a new one no questions ask.. p.s $0
    pain & time and glory

How many people broke their iPhone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

P.S. I paid 0$
    Got mine replaced,cause the camera LED lite, allegedly came on, on it's own, and wouldn't come back off,. And my girlfriends iPod4G cracked screen,. Also replaced

P.S $0

Quote Originally Posted by plumoso View Post
    I broke my iPhone 4 screen and apple just gime a new one no questions ask.. p.s $0
    Must be nice, which store do you go to? They told me it would cost me a new phone...

"It's not a manufacture defect, so you'll just have to get a new one."

I asked "How much to just replace the screen?"

"We don't do that, you can get a new phone for $199 because of the warranty."

Um.. If it's not covered under warranty at all, why would I be eligible for a reduced price? OH, and as a bonus, if you get a phone out of contract, you'll have to fight with AT&T come upgrade time. Their records will show a new phone activation within 18 months...

You have to tell them to reference the contract time, rather than the phone time.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Am I missing the point of this article??? Whats with people talking about iPhones & iPads... and physical damage?? This article is about iPod's and the liquid indicator... no where in this article does it mention smashed screens and slow iPhones.... or even wet iPhones and iPads....
    Last edited by lighter; 01-31-2011 at 09:29 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lighter For This Useful Post:

jcwill12 (01-31-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by lighter View Post
    Am I missing the point of this article??? Whats with people talking about iPhones & iPads... and physical damage?? This article is about iPod's and the liquid indicator... no where is this article does it mention smashed screens and slow iPhones.... or even wet iPhones and iPads....
    Oh this is usually as on-topic as people stay though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast