+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iSuppli Teardown Reveals iPod Nano 6G's Inexpensive Parts

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iSuppli Teardown Reveals iPod Nano 6G's Inexpensive Parts

As the iPods get smaller and smaller, so too - apparently - does the cost of the device's ever shrinking components. According to the latest findings from our tear-down pals at iSuppli, the 8GB sixth-generation iPod nano roughly costs $43 to construct. iSuppli recalls that the fourth generation nano was only slightly less expensive to produce at around $41.

“Instead of piling on features, as so many brands do with their latest products, Apple with the sixth-generation iPod has maintained or even removed some attributes in order to fit the form factor and function desired,” said Andrew Rassweiler, teardown services manager, for iSuppli. “This has enabled Apple to offer the smallest iPod including a touch screen, while keeping component costs to a strict budget.”

That "strict budget" alluded to was aided greatly, it seems, by Apple's fiscally savvy choice of 8GB of NAND flash memory for storing music and also the removal of the previous generation's camera. All told - and to save you from doing the math - the production cost of the new nano is approximately just under one-third of its retail price.

iSuppli

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont mind how much they make off the product because that's why there in business, to make money. Apple can make this kind of profit because there products seem to be very inelastic to people. But the fact that the nano lost features to gain other features that in my opinion don't out do the old ones made me a little upset. Touch screen is cool, but on at least an iPhone sized screen. Although physical volume buttons was something ive wanted.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!

Thanks

Gets me all hot an bothered

Green Apple
    Thanks

crazy stuff..

Thanks

Yeah the markup on their products is crazy. But they make quality products and it's really cheap so they're making a good profit.

Thanks

I only complain when they're products don't work as advertised...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to havoc0351 For This Useful Post:

Aleckloss (09-28-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ridiculous because they sell this little piece of crap for double the worth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

"mass production is cheap"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How else would you have the honor of watching a apple comercial 8 to 100 times a day.

Thanks

They have to make money some how

Green Apple
    Thanks

yeah but remember the most important reason - they charge the prices they do because people will pay them....

Think about this - what if you told someone 10 years ago that the most common phone in the world today had an msrp of between $500-600 how do you think they'd react?

Thanks

Dont forget the money it costs to pay workers and ship it from china, that's defiantly more than $43

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

You guys are also forgetting that this figure is purely an estimation of materials cost. If doesn't include cost if advertising, marketing, shipping, research and development, or other overhead costs.

No doubt they are still making a profit (and probably a substantial one), but when truly looking at the big picture the markup isn't truly 200%

Posted from my iphone

iPhone? More like MyPhone nautical79's Avatar
    Thanks

Remember that This is only the hardware and manufacturing price. doesnt include software, licensing and royalties. i'm pretty sure that IOS is not cheap to build.
    Common Sense Its Not So Common

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2006yamahaR6 View Post
    yeah but remember the most important reason - they charge the prices they do because people will pay them....

Think about this - what if you told someone 10 years ago that the most common phone in the world today had an msrp of between $500-600 how do you think they'd react?
    they probably expected to have a mini computer in their hands with a camera.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2006yamahaR6 View Post

They had phones back then that expensive that did far less than what we have now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    They had phones back then that expensive that did far less than what we have now.
    Yeah anyone remember when the Razr first went on sale? $600 for that piece of crap. Wonder if in 10 years we will looking at the iPhone as a piece of crap as we use our iTerminators to communicate with each other?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post

Absolutely true but they weren't nearly as common as the iPhone is today

As far as the razor goes, I bought 2 back when they first came out for 350 or 400and my family thought I was on crack haha