+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Honey I Shrunk The iPod Audio Jack

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
In the tech world, bigger is never better - especially when it comes to our mobile gadgets. Consequently, it should come as no surprise that there is evidence to suggest
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Honey I Shrunk The iPod Audio Jack

In the tech world, bigger is never better - especially when it comes to our mobile gadgets. Consequently, it should come as no surprise that there is evidence to suggest that Apple continues to toil with ways of making the iPod and its components even smaller - right down to their audio jacks.

As it turns out, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office received a patent application from Apple titled "Audio Jack with Pogo Pins for Conductive Contacts." In a nutshell, what we have here is a comprehensive description of an "audio headphone jack that depends on deflectable Pogo pins to conserve space." According to Apple Insider (who discovered the patent application in question), the audio jacks would pack "several conductive pads in order to create contact with a standard 1/8-inch audio cable when plugged in." Based on details provided in the application, audio, power and data can be transferred through these particular cables.

Although we are only learning of the parent application this week, the application was actually first filed for on June 10, 2009. Since then, Apple has revealed its smallest and sleekest line of iPods yet, all of which take the boundaries of pint-sized technology to the limit. But as Apple continues to make their products smaller, faster, and more durable, one can only imagine how many other patent applications are either forthcoming from Apple or are already in the works without our present knowledge.

Apple Insider

Thanks

Wow...... Who cares!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickaroni22 For This Useful Post:

BeachLivin88 (09-24-2010)

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

It would be amazing if the current line-up of iPods get any thinner. I was already amazed at the iPod Touch 2G... Now these sizes are getting ridiculous. Just amazing.
    #eli7e revived me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to k.nitsua For This Useful Post:

Maarten16 (09-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k.nitsua View Post
    It would be amazing if the current line-up of iPods get any thinner. I was already amazed at the iPod Touch 2G... Now these sizes are getting ridiculous. Just amazing.
    Totally agree, can't wait to see what the iPhone 5 will look like!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The new touch is slimer than the 2g and I have the newest one.

Thanks

I already love how it's only going to be compatible with $40 Apple headphones lol.

I'm a Zend Certified Engineer.
    Follow me on twitter!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nico_swd For This Useful Post:

*69* (09-23-2010), kp10708 (09-24-2010), MPS3 (09-23-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

The audio jack is small enough. They need to work on that giant friggen sync connector.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizi For This Useful Post:

friscosooner (09-23-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizi View Post
    The audio jack is small enough. They need to work on that giant friggen sync connector.
    srsly..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hah Exactly... mini USB perhaps, like everyone else in the world is using. Heck I have headphones that plug into mini usb, you could actually remove the headphone jack and make them all one....

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

I totally agree but there are the one company that is universal in there charging connector/docking station, what they should do is make an adaptor so the old stereos and other car charger devices like this still work and they bottom 32 pin is smaller

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingman-ca View Post
    Hah Exactly... mini USB perhaps, like everyone else in the world is using. Heck I have headphones that plug into mini usb, you could actually remove the headphone jack and make them all one....
    False how would you charge your iPhone/iPod and listen to it at the same time, and please don't say it has speakers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

millerlite33 (09-26-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

If these iPods get any thinner I'll be able to use one to cut through the fabric of spacetime and knit myself a shirt.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

kp10708 (09-24-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone besides me actually prefer a middle ground when it comes to the size of a tech product? Too small is no good and often times it comes at the cost of features. I think the new Nano is a step backwards and how much easier will it be to lose this stuff, or in some cases, accidentally inhale them?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtyDiddler For This Useful Post:

Be Expressive (09-23-2010), coolguy742 (09-24-2010), lightmaster (09-23-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    Does anyone besides me actually prefer a middle ground when it comes to the size of a tech product? Too small is no good and often times it comes at the cost of features. I think the new Nano is a step backwards and how much easier will it be to lose this stuff, or in some cases, accidentally inhale them?
    I totally agree that it's to small, they need to make it the size of the classic iPod but without an app store so it's not the itouch and it also costs less and it can hold at least 60gb for videos/songs with an hd screen

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    False how would you charge your iPhone/iPod and listen to it at the same time, and please don't say it has speakers
    That is a good point, it could be over come though with something similar to a 2 headphone adapter...?

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

Read it carefully... It still say "1/8in jack". It's the same as current. They just want the component itself to take up less room in the enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 857 Posts

If they move away from the 3.5mm jack I'm going to be very unhappy. Well, give the Nano something smaller, 'cause I'll never buy one, but just leave the Touch's 3.5mm jack alone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nico_swd View Post
    I already love how it's only going to be compatible with $40 Apple headphones lol.
    I agree. This will force us to use Apple branded headphones only and their headphones are crap. I spent $99 on their stupid earbuds and those things are worthless. I'm sure they're gonna sell overpriced adapters too but what's the point then?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hookedonkronix View Post
    I agree. This will force us to use Apple branded headphones only and their headphones are crap. I spent $99 on their stupid earbuds and those things are worthless. I'm sure they're gonna sell overpriced adapters too but what's the point then?
    All apple products have 1 year warranty if they suck exchange them for new ones then eBay action, if you got them with in the last 30 days they are required by there contract to give you a full refund hence 30 days after free stuff end new products arise

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Smaller is not always better. Ever since I bought an iPad I find myself using my iPhone more more as just a phone. I would much rather view a larger screen. My iPhone 4 has become more of a camera/mp3 player now. A lot of what I thought was so cool on the iPhone with apps for work and play are just much easier to use on a bigger screen. Even thinner and lighter does not impress me anymore. There good enough now. I don't want to trade sturdiness for look.

IOS is kick ***. Focus on making it even better and stop trying to make a touch screen the size of a thumb nail.