Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Honey I Shrunk The iPod Audio Jack

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    Well yes and no
    I would guess that apple has 2 separate lines running through the cable, for moving stiff to the iPhone an the other for moving stuff off, but this could also be done with a multiplex data transfer cable(like networking cables) so it would only be one cable but a little slower connection
    Also how would it transfer data to the computer if the 30pin is gone, if it works off the headphone jack then you cant plug headphones in while transferring so please explain
    You have me beat pretty good on the no plugging headphones in while syncing/charging, but i wouldn't mind it too much (you win the "debate", it it can be romanticized as one!)

Well yes and no
    I would guess that apple has 2 separate lines running through the cable, for moving stiff to the iPhone an the other for moving stuff off, but this could also be done with a multiplex data transfer cable(like networking cables) so it would only be one cable but a little slower connection
    Also how would it transfer data to the computer if the 30pin is gone, if it works off the headphone jack then you cant plug headphones in while transferring so please explain
    A pass-through connector on the charge cable... duh. The current docks all have it. The iPod Shuffle has always charged through it. All i-devices with in-line remotes and microphones in the Apple earbuds already have these extra pins, though they may not be the smaller variety in this patent (you probably can't tell by looking in).

The Apple Bluetooth Headset included a charge/sync cable for your iPhone that had a connector on the back of the dock connector for connecting your headset to charge simultaneously. The iPhone would even show an indication on the screen for its charge level next to the phone's!

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy742 View Post
    You have me beat pretty good on the no plugging headphones in while syncing/charging, but i wouldn't mind it too much (you win the "debate", it it can be romanticized as one!)
    You're going to accept defeat THAT easily?!
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-24-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    A pass-through connector on the charge cable... duh. The current docks all have it. The iPod Shuffle has always charged through it. All i-devices with in-line remotes and microphones in the Apple earbuds already have these extra pins, though they may not be the smaller variety in this patent (you probably can't tell by looking in).

The Apple Bluetooth Headset included a charge/sync cable for your iPhone that had a connector on the back of the dock connector for connecting your headset to charge simultaneously. The iPhone would even show an indication on the screen for its charge level next to the phone's!

You're going to accept defeat THAT easily?!
    One issue with making the charger/connector smaller would be the fact that all of the devices out for the idevices would become obsolete and apple would loose profit because then less people would buy the newer technology cause less stuff supports it
    Problem, why is it that some old car stereos that have the iPod/iPhone docking capability can no longer charge the idevice but when the idevice was back on 2.0 it could, is it apples way of sticking it to us and saying upgrade your stuff cause this consumer no longer cares?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Also if they integrated the audio cable into the charger how could you use a random pair of headphones? You can't without an extra device like the 2g had, so many people yelled at apple for this there is no way the dock or audio will ever be integrated together where one doesn't exist

yes I realize you can connect your phone through the 30pin and listen to music and sometimes charge it to

One issue with making the charger/connector smaller would be the fact that all of the devices out for the idevices would become obsolete and apple would loose profit because then less people would buy the newer technology cause less stuff supports it
    Problem, why is it that some old car stereos that have the iPod/iPhone docking capability can no longer charge the idevice but when the idevice was back on 2.0 it could, is it apples way of sticking it to us and saying upgrade your stuff cause this consumer no longer cares?
    It's been said a million times in this thread so let this be the last time: THE CONNECTOR ITSELF IS NOT SMALLER. IT IS THE SAME, EXACT, INDUSTRY-STANDARD, SIZE. THE JACK ITSELF IS WHAT HAS BEEN MADE SMALLER. THE EXTRA PINS ARE NOT NEW.

Also if they integrated the audio cable into the charger how could you use a random pair of headphones? You can't without an extra device like the 2g had, so many people yelled at apple for this there is no way the dock or audio will ever be integrated together where one doesn't exist

yes I realize you can connect your phone through the 30pin and listen to music and sometimes charge it to
    Wow. You're thick. If a second standard audio jack is placed on a cable that occupies your device's standard audio jack, why wouldn't it be able to fit standard audio devices? YOU ARE NOT THINKING. As long as the one on the dock or pass-through cable fits standard audio devices, it doesn't matter what the device has, so your earlier confusion doesn't even apply.

This is a standard 1/8"/2.5mm audio jack with data pins added just like Apple has been doing all along for remote, mic, and data transfer (iPod Shuffle has no dock connector). The only difference is that they made the component itself smaller with shrinking the audio jack AT ALL.
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-25-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123