+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPod nano has a Secret Diagnostic Mode

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Originally Posted by one1 How big a flashing neon sign you need, he just answered it. No he didn't. "Got it in one" does not mean "The current-gen iPod nano
...
  1. #41
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    How big a flashing neon sign you need, he just answered it.
    No he didn't. "Got it in one" does not mean "The current-gen iPod nano does not have video playback."

    Let's look at that again...
    "Got it in one"
    WHAT has got WHAT in one WHAT? Without answering any of those NECESSARY questions, it is completely *meaningless*

    You must not be speaking English because, using the only assumptions one could possibly make, this is the most sense it can possibly make and it STILL doesn't answer the damn question:
    "[The iPod nano has] got [video playback] in one"

    Even then, WHICH iPod nano has video playback in WHAT? We already know now, thanks to someone more eloquent and helpful than sdjmchattie could ever be (thanks, Silencer_0), that it DOES NOT have video playback, yet there is not a negative to be found in the "Got it in one" statement.

    If you intend to insult me, you really need to explain how you got the illogical answer, "the current-gen iPod nano no longer supports video playback" from some guy saying "Got it in one."
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-26-2010 at 02:33 AM.

  2. #42
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    No he didn't. "Got it in one" does not mean "The current-gen iPod nano does not have video playback."

    Let's look at that again...
    "Got it in one"
    WHAT has got WHAT in one WHAT? Without answering any of those NECESSARY questions, it is completely *meaningless*

    You must not be speaking English because, using the only assumptions one could possibly make, this is the most sense it can possibly make and it STILL doesn't answer the damn question:
    "[The iPod nano has] got [video playback] in one"

    Even then, WHICH iPod nano has video playback in WHAT? We already know now, thanks to someone more eloquent and helpful than sdjmchattie could ever be (thanks, Silencer_0), that it DOES NOT have video playback, yet there is not a negative to be found in the "Got it in one" statement.

    If you intend to insult me, you really need to explain how you got the illogical answer, "the current-gen iPod nano no longer supports video playback" from some guy saying "Got it in one."

    OK, not sure why this has so much hate towards me - and I'm sorry you didn't understand my reply, but I assure you my English is better than yours given that I am from England where the language originated.

    Anyway, it turns out, though I didn't know this before, that the expression "Got it in one" is a British expression and not as global as I first thought. It means, "you had one guess and got it right first time".

  3. #43
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,318
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sdjmchattie View Post
    OK, not sure why this has so much hate towards me - and I'm sorry you didn't understand my reply, but I assure you my English is better than yours given that I am from England where the language originated.

    Anyway, it turns out, though I didn't know this before, that the expression "Got it in one" is a British expression and not as global as I first thought. It means, "you had one guess and got it right first time".
    No, it's just as common in the US and pretty easy to understand IMO.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

  4. #44
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sdjmchattie View Post
    OK, not sure why this has so much hate towards me - and I'm sorry you didn't understand my reply, but I assure you my English is better than yours given that I am from England where the language originated.

    Anyway, it turns out, though I didn't know this before, that the expression "Got it in one" is a British expression and not as global as I first thought. It means, "you had one guess and got it right first time".
    Thank you for the explanation. If One1 had done that instead of attempting to shame my understanding of the English language, I would not have taken that tone with either of you. My attitude toward you was partially due to another post of yours that didn't make sense (GellBrake'rrrr even called you out on it), but I'm sure that was an honest mistake. When you said "Don't are what use it would be on an iPod that can only play music, but maybe it's just for the audio." I now think you meant "[I d]on't [know] what use it would be on an iPod that can only play music, but maybe it's just for the audio." I could not have guessed earlier, considering that I didn't understand your other post, and "are" is a far cry from "know." I'm not considering the common you/your typo earlier in that post of yours. Even then, as far as I knew, you weren't sure about the capabilities either, which could imply that you take the presence of a video output feature to mean that it probably CAN play video because you would not see the use of it otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    No, it's just as common in the US and pretty easy to understand IMO.
    No, I believe you're mistaken. In fact, I know you are because it was asked again by others in this thread as well (like mikerlx). The answer did not make sense to us. Yes, I've heard similar statements used in a different context, like when someone is making a series of guesses (obviously, the origin of the phrase), but this other usage is not common at all. "You guessed it [right/correctly]." is much more common and more easily understood even with the word "correctly" being left off and assumed. To insist that this usage of "Got it in one." is particularly well understood here is like the hard-headed people who go around saying "Ten of Twelve" to mean "Ten minutes before Twelve o'clock." It doesn't make any sense in English and they go about using it as if everyone understood them despite most of the country and the English-speaking world having never heard it said that way in their lives. The usage needs to die. I touched off a huge debate in a public forum once where many people from the NE USA thought that everyone understood them (it's even in their textbooks for children's time-telling lessons), insisting that it was the most commonly understood way even after many of their close neighbors(regionally) said that they, too, had never heard it nor would they have understood it if they had heard it. In their attempt to argue that it could be understood without prior knowledge, those same people LOVE to point out that "o'clock" means "of the clock" without realizing that the relationship is BACKWARDS. If I am half OF the way to a destination, I mean that I have traveled half of the way, not that half of the total distance remains. This is obvious once you say something like "one-third of the way." Three hours of the clock, AKA "Three o'clock," means that three hours have passed since the start of the clock, yet "10 of Three" means that ten minutes remain until the Three o'clock hour. I bolded the word they should have used instead. To relate minutes before the hour, "till," " 'til," "until," "to," and "before" CAN be universally understood in the English language without having been heard in that specific arrangement before. That's why you have movies with names like "10 'til Noon" and not "10 of Noon." Mainstream media professionals would NEVER use "[minutes] of [hour]" in anything intended for a national or international audience, so these closed-minded people shouldn't expect to use it in professional conversation and argue to protect their habits.
    Last edited by CZroe; 09-26-2010 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #45
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    269
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sdjmchattie View Post
    but I assure you my English is better than yours given that I am from England where the language originated.
    That makes no sense. Just because the English language originated in England doesn't automatically mean you're english is better.

  6. #46
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
    That makes no sense. Just because the English language originated in England doesn't automatically mean you're english is better.
    Maybe not, but the fact you used "you're" instead of "your" reassures me that it is!

  7. #47
    Super Moderator Cer0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    MN/WI
    Posts
    14,005
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

    Get back on topic.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

    coolguy742 (10-07-2010)

  9. #48
    My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    526
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sdjmchattie View Post
    Maybe not, but the fact you used "you're" instead of "your" reassures me that it is!
    This is a thread about the iPod nano not languages retards.

  10. #49
    What's Jailbreak? Sarah Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wonder,what more can we get from this diagnostic mode?

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts