+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Inside the New iPod touch

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
iFixit continued its investigation of the new iPod models yesterday with a comprehensive teardown of the fourth generation iPod touch. The disassembly revealed a few interesting details, such as the
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Inside the New iPod touch

iFixit continued its investigation of the new iPod models yesterday with a comprehensive teardown of the fourth generation iPod touch. The disassembly revealed a few interesting details, such as the fact that the device does not have a vibration motor as had been previously advertised, and that the A4 chip that powers the new iPod comes with only 256MB of RAM, like the iPad.

As expected, the device is difficult to take apart, due to Apple's desire to both cut costs and make third-party repairs difficult if not impossible. With no external screws or fasteners on the case. iFixit needed to use a heat gun to melt the glue holding the front panel on. Once they got the case open, they discovered that the glass is permanently bonded to the LCD panel in the same way as the iPhone 4 display. Unlike previous iPod touch devices, this keeps dust from getting under the glass, but also raises the cost for repair.

Behind the "surprisingly heavy" EMI shield - which iFixit notes makes up ten percent of the total weight of the device - is the iPod touch's battery, which is rated for 40 hours of playback time. The battery is actually soldered to the logic board, as had been the case with previous generations of the iPod touch. They didn't find a little vibrating motor like the one in the iPhone 4, indicating that the initial claim by Apple that the iPod touch would give "a vibrating alert" when you get a FaceTime call were inaccurate. The claim has since been removed from the iPod page.

The A4 processor in the iPod touch has the marking K4X2G643GE on it, which is identical to the marking on the iPad version of the system-on-a-chip but different from the marking on the iPhone's CPU. This indicates that the iPod has 256MB RAM, like the iPad, rather than the iPhone 4's 512MB. "And no" iFixit quips, "there's no RAM upgrade slot."

Source: AppleInsider, image via iFixit

Thanks

Rather the iPad than this.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MindGem View Post

I agree with you there, iPad is better.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MindGem View Post

funny, you have a ipod touch yourself,, hehe and you said ipad is better than the new ipod..

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

the ipad will be better once the 4.2 update is out for it. at the moment i cant get my cousin a ipad for homework use or a ipod touch because it is too small for homework use. i have got a ipad and i use it daily to browse the web but thats about it so for me i will just stick to my iphone 4 and laptop
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm sort of glad that the new iPod doesn't have the same ram as the iPhone. I was like apple really come out with an iPad with 200 ram and then an iPhone with 500 I was like okay?????? But then the new iPod and I was mad I'm like my iPad has less ram then the iPod???? But now it's not true so I'm sort of happy.... I'm getting the new iPod touch and I wish it had more ram but since I have the iPad i want to feel that my iPad is still top notch . Still I have said it before I like apple so I'm going to buy the new iPod touch no matter what.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The iPod Touch doesn't have a Phone system to run in the background so it doesn't need the extra RAM. My iPad never even gets close to running low on RAM. My iPhone 4 however boots up and after opening up a few apps that run in the background like MMi and Twitter it drops below 250MB so it def needs 512 to run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

That thing is really solid build.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The iPod Touch doesn't have a Phone system to run in the background so it doesn't need the extra RAM. My iPad never even gets close to running low on RAM. My iPhone 4 however boots up and after opening up a few apps that run in the background like MMi and Twitter it drops below 250MB so it def needs 512 to run.
    I agree. My iPhone 4 does the same thing.

I'm not sure if ill be getting the new iPod touch or not. I already have an iPhone 4 plus an iPad 3G, PLUS I still have all my old iPhone models (one of each) but I've never owned an iPod touch. I have two of the latest iPod classics because of their excellent storage capacity but I don't really feel the need to get an iPod touch as its just like my iPhone4.

I hope everyone that does get one enjoys it though.
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 09-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Yeah, but my Jailbroken iPhone 4 has about 330 to 350 MB of RAM left when I close out of everything. That's a substantial increase over of the iPod Touch's 256MB of RAM.

One more thing and I can't believe no one has pointed this out. The iPod Touch should perform better or at least on par with the iPad since the iPod Touch has the same exact model of the iPad's A4.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
    Yeah, but my Jailbroken iPhone 4 has about 330 to 350 MB of RAM left when I close out of everything. That's a substantial increase over of the iPod Touch's 256MB of RAM.

One more thing and I can't believe no one has pointed this out. The iPod Touch should perform better or at least on par with the iPad since the iPod Touch has the same exact model of the iPad's A4.
    Yeah, saying the iPhone 4 doesn't benefit the extra ram is stupid. iPhone 4 still the king 512mb of ram goodness w00t And the iPod touch takes crap pictures.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post

I doubt that they both have the same exact model A4. The A4 in the iPad is a big chip.

Also I've seen a video of a brand new just out of the box iPod touch vs a brand new just out of the box iPhone 4 and they opened the same apps at the exact same time, as well as loaded the same web pages at the exact same time so I doubt there's much if any difference.
    Last edited by A_DuB187; 09-09-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A_DuB187 View Post
    I doubt that they both have the same exact model A4. The A4 in the iPad is a big chip.

Also I've seen a video of a brand new just out of the box iPod touch vs a brand new just out of the box iPhone 4 and they opened the same apps at the exact same time, as well as loaded the same web pages at the exact same time so I doubt there's much if any difference.
    Yeah, I'm interested in seeing benchmarks myself. I just don't understand why any iPhone 4 owner would buy a Touch or even an iPad. You get almost the same exact performance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    funny, you have a ipod touch yourself,, hehe and you said ipad is better than the new ipod..
    I have an iPad but I'm too lazy to update my status.

Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MindGem View Post

---------------------------------------

yeah cos i really want to carry an ipad in my pocket when going for a run or walk. Had an ipad, didnt rate it seeing as though i don't use my laptop outside my house so sold it to fund for the ipod touch 4g tomoz. Ipod touch does everything i need. Looking forward to buying tomorrow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 830 Posts

Well, Apple, at least def people can't hear you laughing at them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moneybanks14 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MindGem View Post

---------------------------------------

yeah cos i really want to carry an ipad in my pocket when going for a run or walk. Had an ipad, didnt rate it seeing as though i don't use my laptop outside my house so sold it to fund for the ipod touch 4g tomoz. Ipod touch does everything i need. Looking forward to buying tomorrow.

Haha! You totally killed my post!

Thanks

i have an ipad and a 3gs. I wasnt allowed to upgrade to the iphone 4 because my dad owns 2 verizon premium retail stores. I am HUGELY disappointed it doesnt have 512mbs of ram. I would just got the ipod touch 4 and went to a droid if it did... but no. Now if i get an ipod touch 4 and start playing the HD games that use the awesome display with sharp graphics and awesome gameplay.... the games DESIGNED for 512mbs of ram.... They will crash. a lot. Just like my goddamn ipad. The ipad is a truely great machine but when you start playing games that really utilize the display and graphics capabilities 256 mbs ram just doesnt cut it. Plus the random reboots i get on the ipad in the settings photos and spotlight seriously piss me off. Why is it that every single droid out there (besides the x for some reason) that has a 1 ghz processor also has 512 mbs of ram?

For god sakes apple get over your damn obcession with making the ipod thinner and put the 3-5 megapixel camera and 512 mbs of ram the ipod deserves!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    i have an ipad and a 3gs. I wasnt allowed to upgrade to the iphone 4 because my dad owns 2 verizon premium retail stores. I am HUGELY disappointed it doesnt have 512mbs of ram. I would just got the ipod touch 4 and went to a droid if it did... but no. Now if i get an ipod touch 4 and start playing the HD games that use the awesome display with sharp graphics and awesome gameplay.... the games DESIGNED for 512mbs of ram.... They will crash. a lot. Just like my goddamn ipad. The ipad is a truely great machine but when you start playing games that really utilize the display and graphics capabilities 256 mbs ram just doesnt cut it. Plus the random reboots i get on the ipad in the settings photos and spotlight seriously piss me off. Why is it that every single droid out there (besides the x for some reason) that has a 1 ghz processor also has 512 mbs of ram?

For god sakes apple get over your damn obcession with making the ipod thinner and put the 3-5 megapixel camera and 512 mbs of ram the ipod deserves!

You must be rich since your dad owns 2 Verizon retail stores.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MindGem;
    You must be rich since your dad owns 2 Verizon retail stores.

If by rich you mean he makes 1/3 of his previous business (oxford bookbinding and print finishing co. w/ 80 employees) and barely enough to pay the mortgage on our house let alone my older bros college and me and my younger bro. He owns 2 wirelesszone indirect verizon franchise stores. There pretty small and nothing nearly as big as the corperate stores. (only 2 employees per store + my mom and dad). Hes constantly getting rid of employees because of the long list of crappy employees that either steal, suck at selling phones, or leave with no notice. No offense to you and I can understand how you would think that but I just really hate it when I tell me friends about my parents business and they give me the same kinda response and it really pisses me off because theyre so ignorant and have no idea that the life I live now is nothing close to what it was like with the previous business. And its all sh*tty bank of americas fault ):