+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A4, Retina Display on New iPod touch

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A4, Retina Display on New iPod touch

Steve Jobs unveiled the new iPod touch on stage at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts today. The fourth-generation touch - which Jobs called an iPhone without the phone (and the contract) - boasts many of the same features of the fourth-generation iPhone: a Retina Display, front facing camera, rear camera with HD capability, 3-axis gyroscope, and A4 processor. The new device, however is even slimmer than the current model.

The front facing camera on the touch will allow users to do FaceTime with other iPod touch and iPhone 4 users. With the rear-facing HD camera users can take video and edit it on the device, using iMovie which has until now only available for the iPhone 4. The fourth-generation iPod touch will also ship with iOS 4.1, including Game Center, Apple's social gaming platform.

The specs of the Retina Display match those of the iPhone 4, which is an IPS LCD. Steve Jobs's slide called it an "LED" display, however, which was either a typo or a sign that Apple has moved to AMOLED technology. Given that the latter would be big news in itself, the likelihood is that it was a typo.

The new iPod touch, which Jobs noted is now the most popular iPod in the lineup, are available for pre-order right now and will be shipping next week. Prices are $229 for 8GB, $299 for the 32GB version, and $399 for the 64GB model.

SAN FRANCISCO—September 1, 2010—Apple® today announced the new iPod touch®, packed with incredible new features including Apple’s stunning Retina™ display, FaceTime® video calling, HD video recording, Apple’s A4 chip, 3-axis gyro, iOS 4.1 and Game Center—all combined in the thinnest and lightest iPod touch ever. The new iPod touch features up to 40 hours of music playback and seven hours of video playback on a single battery charge.*

“We’ve put our most advanced technology inside the new iPod touch,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Whether you’re listening to music, playing games, making FaceTime video calls, browsing the web, capturing HD video or watching TV shows and movies, the new iPod touch with its Retina display, A4 chip and 3-axis gyro is more fun than ever.”

Apple’s stunning Retina display makes everything on iPod touch look even more incredible, whether playing games, watching video, browsing the web or flicking through photos. The Retina display has 960 x 640 pixels—four times as many pixels than before. The resulting 326 pixels per inch is so dense that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels when iPod touch is held at a normal distance, making text, images and video look sharper, smoother and more realistic.

With the new front-facing camera and mic, iPod touch users can make FaceTime video calls over Wi-Fi. With just one tap of the new FaceTime app, iPod touch users can call other new iPod touch or iPhone® 4 users** to easily see what their friends are up to, share important moments like the first day of school and even show others what they are seeing by easily switching to the rear-facing camera.

The rear-facing camera on iPod touch is perfect for HD video recording. Users can easily capture HD video wherever they are and share it via email, MobileMe™ and YouTube. With the iMovie® app, users can combine movie clips, add dynamic transitions and themes and include photos and music right on their iPod touch. Users can buy and download the app for just $4.99 through the App Store℠ right on their iPod touch.

Apple’s A4 chip provides iPod touch users with exceptional processor and graphics performance along with long battery life. This remarkably fast and power-efficient chip, along with the Retina display and 3-axis gyro, makes games on iPod touch the best they’ve ever been on any mobile device.

iPod touch is the world’s most popular portable game player. Now with Game Center, iPod touch users can challenge and play friends or be matched automatically with new opponents. Game Center lets iPod touch users showcase their scores and achievements and discover new games their friends are playing. With the App Store on iPod touch, users have access to the world’s largest catalog of apps with over 250,000 apps, including over 65,000 game and entertainment titles to choose from.

Music and entertainment lovers can now easily access iTunes® Ping directly from their new iPod touch. iTunes Ping lets you follow your favorite artists and friends to discover the music they’re talking about, listening to and downloading. iPod touch users also have the entire iTunes Store® at their fingertips, giving them instant access to the world’s largest catalog of music, TV shows and movies.

The new iPod touch comes with iOS 4.1, the newest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system. iOS 4.1 enables new features like FaceTime video calling, multitasking, folders and Game Center.

iPod is the world’s most popular family of digital music players with over a quarter billion sold. Apple’s new holiday lineup includes a brand new iPod shuffle® for just $49; the amazing new iPod nano® with Multi-Touch™ starting at just $149; the incredible new iPod touch with Retina display, Apple’s A4 chip, FaceTime, HD video recording and Game Center starting at just $229; and the iPod classic® in a 160GB model for $249.

Pricing & Availability
    The new iPod touch will be available next week for a suggested price of $229 (US) for the 8GB model, $299 (US) for the 32GB model and $399 (US) for the 64GB model through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. iPod touch requires a Mac® with a USB 2.0 port, Mac OS® X v10.5.8 or later and iTunes 10 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 3) or later and iTunes 10 or later. Existing second and third generation iPod touch users can update to iOS 4.1 free of charge on September 8 to enjoy new features including Game Center.

*Battery life and number of charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

**iOS 4.1 required.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-01-2010), Tamkis (09-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

how come i cant watch event on apple site?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itouch8112 View Post
    how come i cant watch event on apple site?
    you need to watch it on an apple device or safari.

Anyways anyone else thinks Steve Jobs doesn't control anything anymore and that he's just there for an image? I mean I get it that he's had health problems but he is still really thin. In the society we will today being thin like a skeleton is better than having 20 more pounds. Maybe Apple deliberately want steve jobs to be super thin. Look at pictures of him in 2007, i mean it's crazy.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

I want that iPod touch!
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Led
    LED refers to the backlighting.

Thanks

Any of the other networks could now make a case for this to fit in with a sim card, extended battery and 3g and have basically the iphone on their network with facetime.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

nice!!!!!! i going to get one 32gig!!!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The new iPod is an iPhone without the phone, so basically it is an iPhone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ianbroste For This Useful Post:

csglinux (09-01-2010)

Thanks

^^ not necessarily

Thanks

i want an iphone 5 instead.

Twitter: @tshoults

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yea i think jobs was talking about the backlight when he said led

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

I would need convincing to get this considering I have an iPhone, I mean the point of a touch with an iPhone I cant seem to wrap my mind around it.

Thanks

well would u need convincing to get new ipod touch when u have iphone 4 already.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    I would need convincing to get this considering I have an iPhone, I mean the point of a touch with an iPhone I cant seem to wrap my mind around it.
    Well you would be pretty stupid to get the new iPod touch if you already have an iPhone 4.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

At this point anyone who buys an iPhone are going be sorry that they didnt just get an itouch. The iPhone is too expensive in the long run and I would rather use my phone as a phone and not as a toy.
    Last edited by Bluprint; 09-01-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I kind of liked all the new iPods except the nano. It just seems far too fragile, am I the only one who thinks so?

Thanks

i might upgrade to New iPod Touch. Have to see how much i can get for 32 GB iPod Touch

Thanks
    Red face Ipod touch led screen
    DOHHH ofcourse is Steve talking about the backlightning, when he talks about a LED screen...LED=a light...are you ppl dumb or what LoL

no bad feelings..but..thats just so logic...

Thanks

I'm getting this one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    Well you would be pretty stupid to get the new iPod touch if you already have an iPhone 4.

Yea I actually said that to my wife as I typed out my post lol

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast