+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple "Smart Bike" Patent: Nike+ on Wheels (or Hooves)

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
A recently revealed Apple patent is detailing a system that will turn your iDevice into a sort of bicycle supercomputer. As Patently Apple reports , the Apple patent - entitled
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple "Smart Bike" Patent: Nike+ on Wheels (or Hooves)

A recently revealed Apple patent is detailing a system that will turn your iDevice into a sort of bicycle supercomputer. As Patently Apple reports, the Apple patent - entitled "Systems and Methods for Integrating a Portable Electronic Device with a Bicycle" - would go beyond what a normal bicycle computer gives you in terms of heart-rate, speed, and distance data, and would integrate iDevice functionality to allow you to sync up with other riders using wireless connections and GPS location sharing. In addition, the system described could have different displays - including helmet mounted HUDs and 3D imaging - and could also be used for motorcycles or horseback riding.

In many ways, the patent outlines a system like Nike + iPod, with remote sensors that would actually be built in to a compatible "smart bike." Using the bike sensors as well as the gyroscope, accelerometer, compass and GPS chip inside the iPhone or iPod, the system would allow riders to monitor speed, distance, time, altitude, elevation, incline, decline, heart rate, power, derailleur setting, cadence, wind speed, path completed, expected future path, heart rate, power, and pace, and to potentially store and share all that data over the air in an ad-hoc network set up by teams. Cyclists would be able to lay out courses for themselves or view courses other riders had taken, with map system integration allowing turn-by-turn directions. Patently Apple notes that "this could be applied to users of other types of vehicles (e.g., motorcycles, automobiles, or trucks) or other modes of transportation (e.g., walking, running, horseback riding, or transportation using any other animal)."

You could view all this information on your (hopefully well-secured) iDevice, or get it through any one of a number of potential external displays: from LCD and LED flatscreens to exotic tech like "a video projector, head-up display, or three-dimensional (e.g., holographic) display." So for any horseback riders out there who were looking forward to chasing a glowing hologram on the track or trail: Apple's got you covered.

Source: MacRumors; image via Patently Apple
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 08-06-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Slowly taking over everything Apple is.

Apple-Mart soon to replace all WalMarts.

"Apple's got you covered"........I like that. Until something goes wrong and then they wash their hands of it.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-06-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks

Pretty sweet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

you said heart rate twice and power twice.

i'm a biker and i'd have no reason to meet up with someone else and bike 40km with them?
    #1 I'm already listening to my iphone or shuffle that i bought
    #2 Biking isn't happy hour, (or at least the way they wanna use this)
    Maybe this can be used for professionals... most stuff apple makes can be tweaked to work with who ever needs it.
    I bet the military and the government has already contracted Apple.

Future stuff? i doubt it

WHATS THE POINT OF A GAME IF YOU DO NO WORK?

"So for any horseback riders out there who were looking forward to chasing a glowing hologram on the track or trail: Apple's got you covered."

Yeah because thats the future, computers do all the work pretty soon your not even going to be riding the horses.

This is getting ridiculous.

I still do not understand why my iPad cannot change my tv station or recored from my PVR?
    and why can't i turn on and off the lights, open n close blinds? why cant i walk from up stairs watching Discovery Channel and follow it on my iPad then walk down stairs and continue the show on a different tv.
    That isn't hard to do.
    I'd like to see more realistic life settings for their products.
    Last edited by hitman10; 08-06-2010 at 09:10 AM. Reason: not pace power

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hitman10 For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-06-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

But it's Apple. Create a device, make up some over-hyped features and specs, throw in a fancy pep talk at a conference and PRESTO....money in the big man's bank.

Thanks

This is one of those things that Apple trademarked for if they try it 10 or 20 years down the road
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Thanks

Apple trade-marks and patents everything they scheme up so that if someone else comes up with a similar idea...oooppss....too late! Look at the on going Nokia battles and so on. The trick is to cover all your bases.
    But seriously....they must get super stoned, play video games and concoct these ideas!

Thanks

I'm a cyclist, and this is totally cool! I'm not a racer, but I do like to compete with myself. Trying to go a little faster, or a little further. I don't need to share my data with a fellow rider... But, somebody probably does!

Technology is coming whether you want it or not. If not Apple someone else will do it.

My first thought on this is that the cost will be prohibitive at first. I'd play here for $100-$200, but, a sensor filled bike will likely add $1,000 or more to the price tag... It would be fun to have... But not THAT fun.
    - CTRobins
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    When it comes to Humility.... I am the greatest!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Funny, i've had so many instances where I've been trying to find out where another rider is, while i wait for them to reach a predetermined meeting point. Or if you miss a group ride start, it would be great to know where you can catch them.

As for the other stuff, there are things that allow you watch dvr content on your ipad. (air video, sling box, ect.) Right now, you can turn your lights on and off, move your window shades. look into crestron or other home automation setups.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    you said heart rate twice and power twice.

i'm a biker and i'd have no reason to meet up with someone else and bike 40km with them?
    #1 I'm already listening to my iphone or shuffle that i bought
    #2 Biking isn't happy hour, (or at least the way they wanna use this)
    Maybe this can be used for professionals... most stuff apple makes can be tweaked to work with who ever needs it.
    I bet the military and the government has already contracted Apple.

Future stuff? i doubt it

WHATS THE POINT OF A GAME IF YOU DO NO WORK?

"So for any horseback riders out there who were looking forward to chasing a glowing hologram on the track or trail: Apple's got you covered."

Yeah because thats the future, computers do all the work pretty soon your not even going to be riding the horses.

This is getting ridiculous.

I still do not understand why my iPad cannot change my tv station or recored from my PVR?
    and why can't i turn on and off the lights, open n close blinds? why cant i walk from up stairs watching Discovery Channel and follow it on my iPad then walk down stairs and continue the show on a different tv.
    That isn't hard to do.
    I'd like to see more realistic life settings for their products.
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why wait? LiveRider Kit Makes Your iPhone a Computer For Your Bicycle

Looks like Apple is getting good at taking credit from other developers these days.
    Did Apple Slip An Existing Third-Party App Into A Patent Application?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm a BIG FAN of Nike+ ... I'm not so sure about this !!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple: Jack of all trades..... i wonder if id get away with the rest of that line, what with all the fanboys on this site...?

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    I'm a BIG FAN of Nike+ ... I'm not so sure about this !!!
    We are like ducks and beavers u and i....
    Last edited by Joseph_Prophet; 08-07-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post
    Funny, i've had so many instances where I've been trying to find out where another rider is, while i wait for them to reach a predetermined meeting point. Or if you miss a group ride start, it would be great to know where you can catch them.

As for the other stuff, there are things that allow you watch dvr content on your ipad. (air video, sling box, ect.) Right now, you can turn your lights on and off, move your window shades. look into crestron or other home automation setups.
    Yes their are 3rd- developer apps that i can get from the app store.

but i'm not going to trust some geek on his computer with all my house info. passwords, connections and such.

If I can view my surveillance cams from my iphone, means its being run through the internet which means the geek who designed it could also be watching.

next thing, no their is nothing out their for me to record and any of that. Bell is the closest thing to it and even then I still hear of some problems with it.

Apple should be the ones creating this. I don't want to own 50 apps at the price of $39.99 each or w/e +the cost of making the house automated + this and that.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

GO DUCKS!!!!

the cost would hold me back on this if its outrageous if they can make it worth it and tweak it out that would be awesome

iPhone? More like MyPhone Joseph_Prophet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    GO DUCKS!!!!

the cost would hold me back on this if its outrageous if they can make it worth it and tweak it out that would be awesome
    LOL!^^ Go BEAVERS!! (so basically GO ADIDAS!!)
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend