Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint Registers 3G iPod touch Case?

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sprint Registers 3G iPod touch Case?

FCC documents show that Sprint has registered a new 3G device that appears to be an iPod touch case, suggesting the possibility that the #3 US carrier may have an innovative strategy to bring Apple's smallest WiFi-only mobile device onto its network. PhoneScoop.com pointed out the FCC site showing Sprint's application for the ZTE Peel, which has an EV-DO Rev. 0 3G radio, a WiFi access point and a built-in battery with a micro-USB charger.

Little information is available for the device, which is the right size for an iPod touch. Internal photographs do not show a dock connector, but there is a WiFi antenna, which indicates that the Peel is a 3G micro-hotspot that would allow the iPod touch - and presumably, other devices - to connect to Sprint's 3G network. EV-DO rev. 0 allows only 75% of the downloading and about 16% of the upload speed of Sprint's faster EV-DO Rev. A devices.

The ZTE Peel is different from another Chinese-made device with a similar name that has provoked much discussion lately. The Yosion Apple Peel 520 is purportedly an iPod case with an Infineon baseband chip, an 800mAh battery that will give 4.5 hours of call time or 120 hours of standby, which when paired with a SIM card will turn a jailbroken touch into a full 3G cellphone. The Yosion device, will supposedly be available some time in the next week at a street price of 300-500 ($44-$74 US). Pictures and [ame="http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/3410dTBUsHQ/"]a demo video[/ame] are available on Yosion's totally unimpressive website.

Sources: Cult of Mac, Engadget

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

blainesill (07-29-2010), Freerunnering (07-29-2010), iAye (07-30-2010), reaves205 (07-29-2010)

Thanks

Instead of going after the Touch, why doesn't Sprint try to persuade Apple to allow them to use the iPhone? But then, at least they have an Apple device on their network...

Thanks

I guess from a business standpoint, they'd lock in contracts or attract customers with this device but it seems kinda big like an otterbox case. I'd rather see them add an iphone or possibly persuade Apple to build a true 4G iPhone to combat the Evo 4G.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LSZ33 For This Useful Post:

iop9000 (07-29-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea I think Apple will move that way once the 4G is more popular and all the bug are out.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

It's a clever way to get around AT&T's contract with Apple

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

JimJam707 (07-31-2010)

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

That is pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    SO ... if the Droid phones are better, Why aren't people cloning their phones?
    What does that have to do with this topic?

No Phone.app on the iPT means no visual voicemail, anything the iPhone offers phone-wise. Sprint could make an app, sure, but guess who has to approve that.

Not sure how this is going to work. Best I think we could hope for here is a MiFi-type device that's actually something I'd like to carry around instead of being a nuisance.. that's likely all this is. Skype would be an option with iOS4, and MAYBE if Sprint somehow did something Skype-esque and got it into the AppStore, we'd have a true alternative carrier. Doubt it though.
    Last edited by reanimationxp; 07-29-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

I think this a great idea. If you could get other networks to use the apple devices in some matter. Then the prices on our monthly bills would go down. Even if we stay with At&t. As much as they have been thrown under the bus with their service, they would have no choice but to lower their rates. This can only be a win, win for everyone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hmmmm
    Well if it is 4G anyone can pick up a VOIP number and throw in an unlimited data plan Sprint maybe onto something

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty clever idea.

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    No Phone.app on the iPT means no visual voicemail, anything the iPhone offers phone-wise. Sprint could make an app, sure, but guess who has to approve that.
    Well, now that jailbreaking is officially not illegal, I'm sure Sprint wouldn't have a problem with an app finding its way into Cydia...

Smart, blurs the line between iPhone and iPod. I'm surprised no one thought of it earlier

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    I think this a great idea. If you could get other networks to use the apple devices in some matter. Then the prices on our monthly bills would go down. Even if we stay with At&t. As much as they have been thrown under the bus with their service, they would have no choice but to lower their rates. This can only be a win, win for everyone.
    You sure about that? I would think that with the lost customer base from the iPhone spreading to other carriers that AT&T would at least keep their rates the same to attempt to minimize their losses.

I have never seen an apple device with the mini plug on the side.. some thing seems fishy?

Quote Originally Posted by cultgti View Post
    I have never seen an apple device with the mini plug on the side.. some thing seems fishy?
    that's the charging port for that device

If it's an ipod touch case that seems kinda silly not to have a dock connector don't you think? What if the wifi connector runs out of battery? That thing better be packing.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    It's a clever way to get around AT&T's contract with Apple
    I agree! Apple is getting slick with their selling tactics and u can still use Voip on 3G so there u go

For some reason you guys are late again... can't believe I missed out on HandyLight!!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnwin View Post
    If it's an ipod touch case that seems kinda silly not to have a dock connector don't you think? What if the wifi connector runs out of battery? That thing better be packing.
    It's like the incase battery cases. There's a mini USB that can be used to charge/sync. Why would it need a dock connector?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast