+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BGR: iPod touch, iPad Getting FaceTime

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
It appears that FaceTime is coming to the iPad and iPod touch, according to new details presented by BRG . If you're scratching your head as to how devices without
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default BGR: iPod touch, iPad Getting FaceTime

It appears that FaceTime is coming to the iPad and iPod touch, according to new details presented by BRG. If you're scratching your head as to how devices without phone numbers will accommodate FaceTime, "sources" tell BGR that users will be able to register their Apple ID to their touch or iPad and then associate an email address to that particular ID. In other words, calls will then be facilitated by selecting the email of your contact.
    Apple will also reportedly make use of push notifications to deliver these incoming FaceTime connection requests as we have been informed there is a push notification detector tied into the FaceTime frameworks in the new iPhone OS 4.1 beta.
    There remains some confusion, however, as to how an iPod touch will hook up with an iPhone for a FaceTime chat because it appears at present that Apple would still require the use of the iPhone's phone number, and not an associated email address. But BGR anticipates that Apple will soon roll out a "unified" method of talking across all iDevices that will be as simple as any other iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad feature that we're used to.

Naturally, the argument assumes that the iPod touch and iPad have front-facing cameras, which, of course, they do not. Any attempt by Apple to bring FaceTime to other devices within its product line would almost require an iPod and iPad refresh in the near future. Prior to "leaks" that FaceTime is coming to these iDevices later this year, we had heard rumblings about an aforementioned refresh on tap for September. Perhaps the developments will now be rolled out in tandem.

BGR

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

enmanuelgarcia (07-15-2010), QuinnNebula (07-15-2010), rabbit_ (07-15-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to mention the neither have a front or rear camera? What am I missing here?
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

My wife is wanting the new iPod touch face time will be a bonus thanks dude will get lucky the night now

iPhone? More like MyPhone j.eck.art.3d's Avatar
    Thanks

A front facing camera on the iPad... what a novel idea! (sarcasm) the fact that Apple released that device without one was absurd (especially when added to the long list of shortcomings of that particular device) I look forward to the "refresh" in September with the same enthusiasm as I did the initial release though. I just hope that I don't get MASSIVELY let down again. The iPad should be a "must have" like the iPhone... not a , oh that's kinda cool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to j.eck.art.3d For This Useful Post:

vedavis (07-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cool. But I can't really say I didn't see it coming. I made the assumption after jobs said there would be hundreds of millions of FaceTime enabled devices at the keynote last month. However, FaceTime on a nano? That would be a surprise.

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    A front facing camera on the iPad... what a novel idea!
    +1 - shoulda be dere in da foist plaze...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah, seems like a good indicator that both with have FF camera's. Otherwise they would also allow this to run on the older iPhones, which they left out.
    Really?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh ya didn't hear just take your current iPad in for camera installation! Zippy dee do da zippy dee day my oh my what a fairy tale day !!!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone capttanhowdy's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what's interesting, if a hearing impaired person wants a iPhone 4 for the FaceTime function (referring to the commercial apple has of people signing to eachother) they still have to sign up for an AT&T cell service plan. How does that make sense. Pay us $100/month to access our wifi app. Total bs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to capttanhowdy For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (07-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

A year later, I'm still in shock the last iPod Touch didn't have a camera. If Apple wants to lose my money for another year then they'll leave the cameras off.

Also, why does everyone assume that the iPod Touch line WON'T be refreshed? It's refreshed every year since it's come out.

Thanks

Wow, messany actually has a solid lead and some actual news. Bravo. No, not being sarcastic.

What is "BRG" though, I wonder?
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (07-15-2010)

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    A year later, I'm still in shock the last iPod Touch didn't have a camera. If Apple wants to lose my money for another year then they'll leave the cameras off.

Also, why does everyone assume that the iPod Touch line WON'T be refreshed? It's refreshed every year since it's come out.
    all good things come to an end sooner or later
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

Thanks

This seems posable with the camera connection kit can't wait until they send mine in the mail.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really want this to be true but....Messany has a habit of postin rumors from other blogs/websites that got THEIR information from unnamed sources. *Cautiously Hopeful*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In my opinion this is typical Apple marketing, they come out with these stunning new devices to make tones of money but withhold key features like cameras/copy past/MMS messaging act... on ipad/iphone so they can continue to make tones of money with then next ipad launch with of course a CAMERA. So based of this, i have decided to always buy the second generation of apples new devices. Because every time they launch a new product the second one always pics up the basic features the first one should have had. Its not like the technology was not there.....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally some cameras! and facetime.... almost time to get rid for this 2 gen iPod Touch

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

For all users or just MobileMe users.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree 100%. Being an appleholic is very similar to being a crack addict; you see, they give you little doses of your 'hit' at a time by making a great product that needs improvements that other phones mostly already have. They 'make' you buy their product to get that next 'hit', to enjoy that next improvement, which contributes to a loyal fan base of crackheads all waiting in those lines and camping out overnite for the next ipad or iphone. (Like me)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by capttanhowdy View Post
    You know what's interesting, if a hearing impaired person wants a iPhone 4 for the FaceTime function (referring to the commercial apple has of people signing to eachother) they still have to sign up for an AT&T cell service plan. How does that make sense. Pay us $100/month to access our wifi app. Total bs
    AT&T has special deaf people rates. Most cell companies do but some deaf people use their phone for calling because of their friends/family.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jordbrett View Post
    AT&T has special deaf people rates. Most cell companies do but some deaf people use their phone for calling because of their friends/family.
    lol is that what the plan is actually called ?

Hearing impaired rates here
    Hearing Aid Compatibility and wireless phones - AT&T wireless services

its like dif txt/data package sizes with flat rate of 40 cents a voice call.