+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Throwing Its Weight Around The Music World

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Those who have been critical of Apple in the past for "muscling" its way to the objectives it seeks will likely gain more ammunition for their arguments once they hear
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Throwing Its Weight Around The Music World

Those who have been critical of Apple in the past for "muscling" its way to the objectives it seeks will likely gain more ammunition for their arguments once they hear the latest power play from Cupertino.

Apple, it turns out, is after more than just Amazon's stronghold of e-book readers. Steve Jobs and company are looking to shore up Apple's strength in the world of digital music. And Apple is apparently prepared to "punish" music labels that have snuggled up to Amazon and continue to participate in their "MP3 Daily Deal." In accordance with the deals in place, many record labels give Amazon first dibs on new music before it reaches other retailers or is sold anywhere else online. In exchange for the exclusive sales opportunity, Amazon pushes the content at the top of their music download page. And given Amazon's massive reach, that's a huge PR opportunity for the labels and artists who secure that prime digital real estate.

According to coverage from the New York Times today:

Sources say that iTunes representatives have been urging labels to rethink their participation in the Amazon promotion and that they have backed up those warnings by withdrawing marketing support for certain releases featured as Daily Deals.
    While no one knows for certain which - if any - major record labels are permanently siding with Apple over Amazon in this matter, it is clear that Apple is throwing its weight around the recording industry and aggressively trying to weaken Amazon's preeminent status as a powerful music retailer. And guess what? It's working. The NY Times notes that Capitol, Capitol Nashville and Jive have all backed away from Amazon and will not participate in Amazon's "Daily Deal" promotions for the time being.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yet another sign that the apocalypse is coming. Its a shame that Apple has the power to make several major record companies do something like this.

Oh yea. First, B*tches.
    Last edited by cpkirkley; 03-03-2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Oh yea.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Firstget doesn't count if you edited the post :3

Apple is the LEADING MUSIC DISTRIBUTION SERVICE. It's hard for me to believe they're complaining at all about other companies wanting a piece.

Thanks

this is why the only device i will ever have from apple is a iphone i just dont like how they do things you bully your way around for the comsumers to do what you want but dont give them what they want thats why i might switch to android im tired of apple
    IF I HELPED PLEASE HIT THANKS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Firstget doesn't count if you edited the post :3

Apple is the LEADING MUSIC DISTRIBUTION SERVICE. It's hard for me to believe they're complaining at all about other companies wanting a piece.
    Stop raining on my parade.
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazon's great for those who don't use iTunes, I don't see why Apple would need to take away label companies from them, they have plenty of users.

Banned
    Thanks

s the greatest way to store and listen to your music collection and now they have an iPhone app!!!
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 03-03-2010 at 09:38 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone pyromcr's Avatar
    Thanks

there is nothing wrong with amazon, but itunes is better. but free is the best!

Green Apple
    Thanks

With all the i-Family Products sold... i really find ithard to believe that Amazon is a big competitor. Almost everyone i know has an ipod product and gets there music form itunes, the only product ive seen Amazon mp3 products on is the android platform... before that all i knew for purchasing music was itunes..so I find it hard/ Weird that Amazon is such a competitor in the music industry. I know their e-book catalog is massive and with the kindle they bank on that. but in music...?

iPhone? More like MyPhone matthew1111's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is going to take over the wooooorld!
    That Thanks button is there for a reason!

Thanks

hope amazon stands its ground. we need the competition.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n00neimp0rtant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    Amazon's great for those who don't use iTunes, I don't see why Apple would need to take away label companies from them, they have plenty of users.
    Seriously? What's the one thing these heartless companies like more than money?

Answer: More money.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I love apple products but...
    I hate the we want to not only dominate but leave a trail of destruction attitude. I buy most of my songs through itunes but sometimes amazon is cheaper and I buy from there. I think apple is just pissed because amazon downloader sends the music straight to itunes library for you. So you get the best of both worlds. You get all of your songs in your itunes library and you can get the best price. I imagine eventually apple will start charging to have the itunes software, drain every last cent out of us as they can. I like apple, I think their products are fantastic, the os blows away windows...but I believe the head men(man) is getting too power hungry and holy-ier than thou for me to take.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

"amazon downloader sends the music straight to itunes library for you"

interesting...

I might consider purchasing my music from now on. considering what you just said, i think amazon is the best option in collectig music CDs.

Thanks

Jeez I hate Apple as a company.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Amazon lets you keep the mp3 files, and iTunes doesn't. I bought some songs from iTunes thinking I was gonna be able to redownload them like I redownload all of the apps, but I lost about $10 worth of songs before I learned about it. So I buy songs from Amazons, load them to iTunes, and also I can back them up to my external hard drive.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khiphone3g View Post
    Amazon lets you keep the mp3 files, and iTunes doesn't. I bought some songs from iTunes thinking I was gonna be able to redownload them like I redownload all of the apps, but I lost about $10 worth of songs before I learned about it. So I buy songs from Amazons, load them to iTunes, and also I can back them up to my external hard drive.
    You can't even keep the extra expensive DRM free songs from iTunes? Wow, that is some ********. The only digital music store I have bought from is Amazon, and that's only been like 5 songs, they are 256kbps MP3, completely DRM free, and you can load them on as many devices you want and make as many copies as you want for archiving. The only thing that sucks about that setup is if you lose a song, or your download gets interrupted or something, you have to pay for the song again to initiate an additional download.

I still prefer CD's though, and controlling the rip quality myself.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple loves you as a customer

Thanks

die amazon die!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
    Jeez I hate Apple as a company.
    I'd hate them as a person. Always telling you crap and not giving you the full friendship.

But as a company... oh, I see ur point
    Last edited by extremzocker; 03-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.