+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreakers Beware! Pirated iPhone/iPod Apps Produce Big Numbers and Big Attention

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] Well, with every software update comes new protection. It always gets cracked. Just like every version of windows, osx for pc, etc Then there comes along
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone3G[S] View Post
    Well, with every software update comes new protection. It always gets cracked. Just like every version of windows, osx for pc, etc
    Then there comes along the PS3, who has yet to get a chance to get cracked without a new update to block even the little ground that made headway. Yes this is a hardware but it contains software; which the iPhone is hardware but had leaks to change to software.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lol,

who give a ****? People are going to bypass any protection (how many microsoft software was cracked within 24 hours of release?)

I've used cracked apps before (gasp!), but I did it to try out some apps to see if they're worth the money. A couple weren't, so I didn't buy them, but I ended up spending $30+ on the app store. I wouldn't have bought them if I couldn't have tried them out.

Reason why I don't use cracked apps isn't because I think its wrong. Its a pain in the ***. Same reason why I run 100% legit software on all my computers, because I don't have to worry about it auto updating and ******* me over.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

That is why Microsoft had an open beta for Windows 7. It gave users a cahnce to try it out before deciding if they wanted to get it. I think it was a great idea on their part.

There was already pirate versions of the alpha and pre-public beta in the wild but the public beta gave them a chance to try it out without hastle and with a PR boost.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I understand that cracked apps are wrong but sometimes I feel that's it's needed when there is a app that I want to try to see if it will work for me before I pay$$$$ to see that it doesn't such as slingbox a 30.00 app that was crap for me so I'm glad I didn't for out the money to find out that it sucked but ever since I got my newest 3gs I haven't cracked any apps because I can really see how to effects devs

And what's up the smily faces i didn't put them in or swear or anything??!...
    Last edited by mckaytayl0r; 01-14-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Personally, I purchase apps. However I would be lying if I said i have never downloaded an app without paying either.

The difference is, if I choose to TRY an app that I would normally have to pay for AND LIKE IT, I will go to the app store any BUY IT.

On the other hand I know that everyone out there has bought an app for .99 or for 1.99 and didnt like and thought to themself, "wow what a waste of money" I know I have.

That were I believe it is okay and apple should give the ability to TRY an app before they buy it. However that is not the cause so to have the option to be able to try an app should be available.

Its how you decide to use the tools that have been givin to you and what kind of morals you have.

Bottom line, I do not believe you should be stealing these APPS from DEVS, they work hard to make their products for us to use.

At the same time i do not believe in paying for an app that in the end I would not use and have it be a waste of money.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

you know there should a law against people that are liars,because most of us in here if not all have been stealing from apple from day one. when the first iphone came out. to sit in front of you computer and say that you have never install pirated apps and games on you mac or pc,or iphone is sad.i guess the world is a better place from the last time i check,and i checked about 15 minute before i left for mars.now i know this place is full of sisis that goes along with the most popular things that everybody else is saying that they dont steal pirated apps and games,well i'm man enough to say i have steal apps and music. is it a good thing to do no,but most of the stuff in the app store are garbage no one should pay for that kind of garbage.do i ever buy apps and software for my mac and pc yes,if they are good games and apps. lets face it the app store is full devs making garbage trying to get rich over night and if apple want people to stop stealing they shoud force them to make good apps and not the 1.99$ get rich apps that we all see on a daily basis in the app store. most of us here are not going to be fool by that whether or not you admitted.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 01-14-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks

Bottom line is, do you want to make money from your app? Then make one worth paying for.[/QUOTE]

You said it all in this one statement. You know if there were free trials, there would be so much less stealing going on. Of course you couldn't brag about your over 100,000 apps if 99% of them were never bought after their free trial was over. In my opinion most of the best apps are free all ready.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I jailbreak my phone but I don't pirate apps. I want the apps that I need and use to work no matter if I lose the jailbreak or not.

I know this reports puts a huge number on the revenue that was not received from stolen apps but I'll bet it doesn't factor in the "because I can" factor.

In other words, Some of these clowns might be downloading 1000 apps in a single click but if you plugged up that hole, (jailbreaking) what percentage of those people would buy the app in the first place? I suspect that the VAST majority of them have those apps just BECAUSE THEY CAN and not because they have any real need/use for them. If jailbreaking went away, they never would purchase any of the apps that they have pirated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chupacabra314 View Post
    In many countries piracy thrives because people simply can not afford to pay the prices the "rich westerners" can afford.
    When you're talking about the iphone... If you can afford to buy the phone, then paying 99 cents for an app is likely not an issue There are plenty of free apps or lite versions of apps for people that do not want to pay for apps.

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    I think Cydia should block these repos. By not doing so it has made it harder and harder for those of us who aren't thieves to enjoy something we bought. 'The man' isn't the problem here, it's people that use a system like Cydia to steal without Cydia being made for that purpose. Jay should simply block those repos as soon as they are found to be hosting stolen apps. That's the way to stop it.
    Agree 100%!
    Last edited by domenicp; 01-14-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone samson_420's Avatar
    Thanks

If I can get it for free, I will. . . . end of story.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=129676&dateline=12338  68848

Thanks

rrrrteeeeee maties
    keep the pirates alive!!
    there gona spends millions and millions to TRY and stop
    give up apple

If I can get it for free, I will. . . . end of story.
    that about sums it up

Thanks

I admit that I have downloaded a few cracked apps. I got doodlejump cracked but after playing it for 10 seconds I bought it from the AppStore. The iPhone web browser that I'm using to post this (perfect browser) is one of the VERY FEW apps that I have pirated. And the only reason I did was to see if it was even worth the money as so many browsers are not. A day or two more testing and I will probably buy it. But blocking the repo won't help. People can still download it online and use mobile terminal to install the app which shall not be named.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Blocking the repo would discourage it though to the causal pirates though.
    Last edited by Masterz1337; 01-14-2010 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks

Good point. It would help some.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    Stop talking about it. Stop bringing it up in the news. Stop posting it on the front pages of websites, because then little Jimmy who just jailbroke his iPhone will start googling around, and sure enough, he finds out how to do it, and the process keeps repeating.
    For once I agree with you Rota
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post
    To be honest, we as the Jailbreak community should be trying to do more to stop this. That certain app people use to pirate, why is that even listed in Cydia or Rock? It can't be that hard for someone to assist the owners of the stores to come up with a system to make sure no one can get "the app that will not be named" via the other stores.
    +1

And i think the title of the article should be changed. Not all JBers are pirates and the association is insulting

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rota View Post
    I used my cousin's MBP for a week while I was visiting him in San Diego. It wasn't bad. I think hell is freezing over as we speak.
    LMAO, it is like a drug
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've actually bought more apps since I started to get them from pirated sources. For me it's more of a trial. Before it was hit or miss, with far more misses with just the app store. I'm not going to buy an app if I have no idea if it's worth even a buck. Since I've used pirated apps, I've bought dozens of apps, most more than five bucks. If ********** was to disappear I doubt I'd buy any more for fear of getting hosed with a crappy app.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I've actually bought more apps since I started to get them from pirated sources. For me it's more of a trial. Before it was hit or miss, with far more misses with just the app store. I'm not going to buy an app if I have no idea if it's worth even a buck. Since I've used pirated apps, I've bought dozens of apps, most more than five bucks. If ********** was to disappear I doubt I'd buy any more for fear of getting hosed with a crappy app.
    I see your point but thats what demos/lite versions are for...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I only jailbreak to customize my theme..