+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreakers Beware! Pirated iPhone/iPod Apps Produce Big Numbers and Big Attention

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
In my recent study I concluded that pirated apps have cost Apple and the devs somewhere in the region of 999 billion dollars....see how easy that was?
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    In my recent study I concluded that pirated apps have cost Apple and the devs somewhere in the region of 999 billion dollars....see how easy that was?

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

If iTunes prevents cracked apps from being updated, then that is a slight deterrent. But there will always be a way around any system; some for good purposes (like Cydia and Rock apps).

Thanks

Let's say Apple does crackdown on pirated apps, who's to say that they won't do something to jailbreakers too? Afterall, they believe jailbreaking to be illegal.

Cracked apps aren't going anywhere unfortunately. They will always be around in some form even if Cydia manages a way to implement blocking of bad sources.

I would rather there be a few bad users than Apple poking around my phone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Please pipe it, we all do it and you do it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by atomi View Post
    im buyin my apps legaly from app store but my friends arent.. I told them that its wrong because all the apps dont come from big houses like ea but they dont listen.. I feel sorry for devs.

please pipe it, we all do it and you do it too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zozodouce For This Useful Post:

adrift98 (01-15-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    please pipe it, we all do it and you do it too.
    Please do not generalize us like that. I have not once, since owning a 3g - pirated an app. I think its a matter of the offending parties either not knowing (or caring) how stealing the application directly affects the lives of the people who develop the software. I would never steal the software, the same way I would never walk out on a check at a diner. There is NO difference between the two.

Besides, you can't even update the software when its pirated. Is your time that worthless that your willing to. waste time download different versions of the same software over and over again?
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Well done Messany. I think your title pretty much presumes all jailbreakers use cracked apps. First class journalism
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Any intelligent person wouldn't assume that in any kind of average circumstance you could support yourself by developing apps for the iPhone. If you wanted to make ends meet with a job in programming then there's definitely much more viable, and much less risky, areas to employ yourself. This isn't saying that it can't be done, the odds are just overwhelmingly against you to break the bank with an iPhone app, so anyone who is down on their luck purely because they invested all their time and energy into developing iPhone apps has no one to blame but themselves.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I guess I'm a hypocrite. I don't buy my music, but I think it's wrong to pirate apps. Guess deep down I just figure app devs are just every day people for the most part, and music artists make a lot more than app developers. Not to mention the fact that if I bought all my music, I wouldn't have 1/4 of the songs on my iPod and I'd still be broke. I've spent a good amount on apps, but I don't download 10-15 apps at a time.

Oh, and another reason I don't buy my music is because iTunes is the only place I can get it from. Can't make MP3 CDs or free ringtones with songs bought through iTunes.
    Last edited by Channan; 01-14-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone wgm214's Avatar
    Thanks

its been found piracy promotes sales...
    Wanna-be coder/iphone user since '08

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I gave up cracked apps lol, I actually do "try and buy". I also gave up an jailbroken iPhone

^You can update cracked apps.
    Last edited by MetallicaFan1991; 01-14-2010 at 03:39 PM.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Its a part of life, theres always people who do some "questionable" stuff with their devices, if the dev's are smart as they are suppose to be they would have seen this problem, its a fact of life, deal with it

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spiderguy84 View Post
    One big problem is websites that host them like appscene.org that refuse to do anything. They have a DMCA link on their site that tells you to send email to a certain address and give all the info including a sworn statement you are the copyright owner of that app. The only problem is they ignore it. My app Nag-O-Matic got posted there over a month ago and I have sent more than 50 emails to the [email protected] to remove it, with no reply or action. If anyone has a number to call I'd appreciate it. I was getting a few downloads a day but the moment it started appearing on ********** it came to a screeching halt, not even 1 download since then.
    Apps*ene was specifically designed for the purpose of uploading cracked apps hence the APP in the name. They'll NEVER remove your app, only sites like MU n RS will remove your app but there are loads of sites that are solely for uploading cracked iPhone apps and are on servers in countries where Apple can't do anything!
    I feel for you but then again I can't talk!!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

The people who steal apps are scum, end of story!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think Cydia should block these repos. By not doing so it has made it harder and harder for those of us who aren't thieves to enjoy something we bought. 'The man' isn't the problem here, it's people that use a system like Cydia to steal without Cydia being made for that purpose. Jay should simply block those repos as soon as they are found to be hosting stolen apps. That's the way to stop it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

Melech518 (01-14-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.T View Post
    I gave up cracked apps lol, I actually do "try and buy". I also gave up an jailbroken iPhone

^You can update cracked apps.
    Lol, shows what I know about the cracking scene... /facepalm

At the person who said that a programmer should expect to make a living off of writing programs for iphone - how is the fact that (apparently) 65-70 percent of the iphone-using population are douchebags make his choice of work stupid? It's not his fault that apple hasnt even attempted to address the problem. He's working, pretty hard I'd add, to generate an honest day's work and at no point in time will I fault a group of people for something that really isn't their fault?

While I can appreciate your point, I disagree because said artist should not be held accountable for the shady practices of others.

Piracy does not boost sales, only discourages innovation. No one wants to make a quality product if they believe they won't get properly paid for it. Would you work at your job for free?
    EVGA P55LE Mobo/Core [email protected]/Corsair H50
    8GB Corsair Donimator DDR3 1600/Radeon 5870
    2x 150 Raptors in Raid 0/2 TB Caviar for storage
    Denon AVR 590 Reciever
    46" Sony KDL-XBR9

Thanks

Apple doesn't make that much off their cut in selling apps, it's the developers I care about. I doubt that sales are affected much by piracy though, most people who pirate apps would never buy them anyway.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

I am not saying its right but I seriously doubt that piracy will ever stop.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks

Why does piracy exist in the first place?
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Well, with every software update comes new protection. It always gets cracked. Just like every version of windows, osx for pc, etc... it's never ending, so is the cat and mouse games apple and crackers play.

I think that is why they don't care a whole lot about it. Im sure they have a percent where they will be like, OK, we have to step in and stop this. Maybe it's 2% and iphoneos 4.0 will be "uncrackable" or harder then before, taking more then a couple weeks.

The 2.0 unlock didnt come until new years of that year. 3.0 came in about 3-4 months. From Geohots forum it sounds like they put a lot of effort into stopping the unlocking process. We will know pretty soon if they are making it more secure, sure they are. I'm sure it will get hacked again.

Point is, there really is no stopping it, at least not in the near future.

Thanks

but everybody does it! LOL there is no way to stop pirating, see how well its doing for movies and music. i do it too, havent bought a cd in 10 years, i get studio copy dvd's before they even come out in theaters, maybe when you open the app store/cydia/rock there should be a video that plays. you wouldnt steal this crappy app from walmart would you? downloading pirated apps is illegal, you could go to prison because of this, yet you just supported terrorism and drug cartels. everyone has pirated something some way or another, probably mostly music how many of you have paid for every single song that you have on your ipod???
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.