Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes Tagging Coming to Your New Ford

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default iTunes Tagging Coming to Your New Ford

Better late than never, automaker Ford has arrived in the 21st century.

After nearly disappearing amidst the great automobile collapse of 2008, Ford is investing in a variety of new high-tech bells and whistles for new automobiles carrying one of the automobile industry's oldest logos. Perhaps the coolest feature announced is the introduction of high def radios equipped with iTunes tagging. The news comes on the heels of Ford's earlier announcement this month that the automaker will also extend WiFi access to new Ford buyers.

From CNET today:

"Through the Sync system," Ford said in its press release, "iTunes Tagging will provide Ford customers with the ability to capture a song they hear on the HD Radio receiver for later purchase. With a simple push of the 'TAG' button on the radio display, the song information will be stored in the radio's memory.
    Ford is obviously attempting to posture itself as the automaker of the new century, something the occasionally "stuffy" company has struggled to achieve as technological advancements regularly found their way to other vehicles long before they reached Ford. But by serving up HD Radio with iTunes tagging as a factory-installed feature, Ford is making good on their assurances to be as high-tech as any car manufacturer can be while maintaining affordability and efficiency for consumers who may not be able to afford as many bells and whistles as they once could.

"Up to 100 tags can be stored on Sync until the iPod is connected to receive the download of metadata. When the iPod is then synced to iTunes, a playlist of 'tagged' songs will appear. Customers then can preview and, if desired, purchase and download tagged songs from the iTunes Store."
    For now, Ford isn't dishing on which vehicle models will offer the iTunes tagging and Internet radio features. A spokesperson for Ford is simply telling all major media outlets that the first vehicles that will feature the new iTunes tagging capability will be revealed in early 2010.

Between having to buy an Apple tablet and now a new Ford with iTunes tagging capabilities, there's way too much fun to be had in early 2010 to actually want to go back to work in order to pay for all this stuff

Image via Ford

WORD, Dodge > Ford though =)

I always said radios should have the capability of doing this. Another great one would be the ability to REWIND radio! How many times have you switched to a station to hear the last 15 seconds of your favorite song or even the last minute of a breaking news story. This is the ability I want next!
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

tivo for HD radio =) very nice.
    killall Terminal[]

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft is definitely playing it smart here. They make operating systems and that's their bread and butter (Office & Exchange don't do much while you're driving). By incorporating iTunes tagging and purchase into their Ford Sync systems they are showing they needed be a replacement to Apple's ecosystem, but rather just another piece of the puzzle. If Microsoft could get contracts to put their OS in more cars they'd have a clear path to the future in a way that would accompany, rather than compete directly with, Apple. I can only see this move helping all parties involved, and it's definitely good for the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    Microsoft is definitely playing it smart here. They make operating systems and that's their bread and butter (Office & Exchange don't do much while you're driving). By incorporating iTunes tagging and purchase into their Ford Sync systems they are showing they needed be a replacement to Apple's ecosystem, but rather just another piece of the puzzle. If Microsoft could get contracts to put their OS in more cars they'd have a clear path to the future in a way that would accompany, rather than compete directly with, Apple. I can only see this move helping all parties involved, and it's definitely good for the consumer.
    Microsoft competing with apple? Apple is the one trying to catch up...they are indeed catching up but they are still, the one trying to catch up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I always said radios should have the capability of doing this. Another great one would be the ability to REWIND radio! How many times have you switched to a station to hear the last 15 seconds of your favorite song or even the last minute of a breaking news story. This is the ability I want next!
    Some of the sat/hd radio units actually have that ability!!!
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...