+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Retool iTunes for the web

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Big changes could be in store for iTunes. That's the word from the Wall Street Journal this morning in a new article addressing how Apple may retool the popular music
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple to Retool iTunes for the web

Big changes could be in store for iTunes. That's the word from the Wall Street Journal this morning in a new article addressing how Apple may retool the popular music service and move it to the web.

Apple is looking into the possibility of overhauling iTunes for the purpose of finding newer and more efficient ways of selling and storing music. Evidence of such a plan? Look no further than Apple's recent acquisition of music-streaming service La La.

Where Apple's iTunes requires users to download music onto a specific computer, Lala.com lets users buy and listen to music through a Web browser, meaning its customers can access purchases from anywhere, as long as they are connected to the Internet.
    The inability to connect to iTunes through a web browser has been a longstanding criticism of the service since its inception. If corrected, the move would once again prove that Apple "eventually" gets around to making widely sought-after changes. Although Apple would likely not be keen on consumers having a way to utilize iTunes without first downloading software, the company has more to gain from going with the flow of consumer demands and facilitating a way for music lovers to purchase, organize, and access their music from anywhere at any time using nothing more than a web browser.

That new business model extends Apple's grip on the music business, giving it the ability to sell music through search engines and other Web sites and broaden its reach beyond people who come to its virtual store.
    Although its too early to estimate when such changes will come to iTunes (if ever), those sourced in the WSJ article imply that no major announcements are imminent. In fact, Apple spokesman Steve Dowling tried to play down the recent acquisition of La La saying only that "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not comment on our purpose or plans."

Others think Apple cold take iTunes to the web by the middle of 2010.

It is also possible that Apple would use Lala's streaming technology as the basis for a subscription service, for which users would pay a flat rate in exchange for unlimited access to music. Such offerings already exist but have never gained much traction with users, mainly because most don't work with iPods or iPhones.
    Image via Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see the benefit of accessing your account online, anywhere, but, I prefer to manage my media, account, etc directly from my own computer, and maintain some semblance of privacy.

The only way I would ever use this is if both options were available...if it is purely web based, no thank you...

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont see this ever happening.. Do you realize how many people would stop using it? It's pointless. No one pays for music anymore, it's ******* 2009 for christ's sake. And if it does happen, all people will have to do is find an alternative. Very dumb move on apples part if they are honestly considering this.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Love me some web access iTunes
    Don't use Lala often, but love being able to access all my tunes from any computer anywhere.

I do hope this happens with iTunes. I don't carry around all my music collection on my iPhone, so it's nice to be able to play my collection wherever I may be.

CB

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Simplify Media allows access to your whole library from anywhere... Keep prying eyes out...
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

I don't like this whole everything is online anymore. I can't tell you how many times I get disconnected from the Internet. I like to have my music where I can always get to it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I wish all these topic titles weren't so misleading. It's only a guess because of one of their acquisitions, yet the title made it sound as if it were a definite deal.

Thanks

No thank you. I want it only on my computer and not the internet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    I can see the benefit of accessing your account online, anywhere, but, I prefer to manage my media, account, etc directly from my own computer, and maintain some semblance of privacy.

The only way I would ever use this is if both options were available...if it is purely web based, no thank you...
    i have to completely agree with you hancoma.
    killall Terminal[]