+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: One Things Leads to Another with an iPod

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default One Things Leads to Another with an iPod

In a new report that falls under the category heading of: "do we really need a study to tell us this?" mobile analytics firm, Flurry, is showcasing how the iPod Touch is getting the youth of world hooked on Apple products and inspiring them to get an iPhone.

Presented in the same tone of a study on addiction and how one drug often leads to the abuse of another, Flurry is drawing some well-deserved attention to the iPhone's often-ignored sibling, the iPod Touch, and the power it continues to wield.

"The iPod touch is quietly building a loyal base among the next generation of iPhone users, positioning Apple to corner the smartphone market not only today, but also tomorrow," Flurry’s report states.
    According to Flurry's estimates, 58 million iPhones and iPod touches were sold by Apple in the first nine months of the year. If Flurry's data is correct, 24 million of those devices are iPod touches. What does it all mean?

"When today's young iPod touch users age by five years, they will already have iTunes accounts, saved personal contacts to their iPod touch devices, purchased hundreds of apps and songs, and mastered the iPhone OS user interface."
    In other words, the iPod Touch is instilling brand loyalty in our youth right under our noses. As a result, the natural progression for younger iPod users is to eventually take the next step and "graduate" to an iPhone. It's all part of Apple's stealthy plan to "get 'em hooked early."

Consequently, it makes sense that Apple is reportedly aiming to give the iPod a fresh push in 2010 following a suspected subtle makeover, which could include the addition of a built in camera for the device.

The report follows October’s AdMob findings that the iPod touch accounts for 9.8 percent of all requests for applications and web sites that include AdMob’s advertising script. The iPhone grabs 22.4 percent, with these figures climbing for the US market.
    Image via 9to5Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

sounds about right. my touch was the reason i got an iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep, I see it. Since I got an Iphone, my son has an Ipod touch.
    He now wants my mac, and now that I have turned him on to jailbreaking, and creating own themes...he is taking his art (which he is very good at), and developing personalized themes for people, helping them jailbreak, unlock, tether, etc.

Soon he will surpass me in this ability!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

One Things Leads to Another with an iPod
    LoL

Thanks

Default The opposite way
    I am going in the opposite direction I think. I have had an iPhone since late 2007 (original and 3G). Next summer I will seriously consider an Android phone and I'll probably sell my iPhone 3G unlocked and use that money to get an iPod Touch.

My plan is to cut down my cell bill and use the iPod WiFi for everything else. I find that I use productivity apps much more on my phone than the games. While the App Store has some nice productivity apps, Android and the Google apps implementation with their online offerings is far more enticing (productivity wise) than what mobile me offers.

Android phone = Productivity, GPS, Messaging and phone
    iPod Touch = Web browsing, Music, Movies, Books? and games

Games are going to be hindered on the Android platform based on the sheer number of devices and sizes available but I can see them pushing it as a productivity tool much like RIM has done. Doing this will give them a good foothold to fight the App Store monster, IMO.

All this of course depends on what Apple shows us as their next gen iPhone. It will have to be pretty special for my mind to change, dropping that ball and chain called AT&T.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

iPod touch to iPhone and then to an iMac or MackBook and then, world domination! nahh jk But the findings are partially true just depends on the person. Camera for the Touch? Who knows. I'm more into what the new iPhone and software will be like next year

Green Apple
    Thanks

iDont see how getting a Droid is going to cut down cell phone by much.

But yea after seeing my sister get her first iPod Video back in 05 it got me interested in one for myself. Instead of getting one though I ended up getting the T-Mobile MDA but soon got a iPod Mini. Then came the iPod Nano and then the iPhone and iPhone 3GS. Got my dad the first iPod Nano and gave my mom my Nano and bought both my brother and sister a iPhone Classic

Thanks

My 1st iMac was a Bondi Blue and I'm on my 4th (or 5th?) Apple computer now. :-) I've also bought 3 or 4 iPods over the years too.

But I've still got my original iPhone though (it just works so can't see the point in upgrading just yet).

Is Apple like a drug? I'd say not, it's just a product I like. Is that wrong?

BTW... all my "previously owned" Apple products have been handed down and are still working just fine, albeit a lot slower compared to the latest models.
    Last edited by iGuy; 12-07-2009 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks

I would get a iphone but i don't got the cash for it

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

OMG! Is there a 12 Step Program I can go to...
    to get rid of my Iphone addiction?!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southfrisco View Post
    I am going in the opposite direction I think. I have had an iPhone since late 2007 (original and 3G). Next summer I will seriously consider an Android phone and I'll probably sell my iPhone 3G unlocked and use that money to get an iPod Touch.

My plan is to cut down my cell bill and use the iPod WiFi for everything else. I find that I use productivity apps much more on my phone than the games. While the App Store has some nice productivity apps, Android and the Google apps implementation with their online offerings is far more enticing (productivity wise) than what mobile me offers.

Android phone = Productivity, GPS, Messaging and phone
    iPod Touch = Web browsing, Music, Movies, Books? and games

Games are going to be hindered on the Android platform based on the sheer number of devices and sizes available but I can see them pushing it as a productivity tool much like RIM has done. Doing this will give them a good foothold to fight the App Store monster, IMO.

All this of course depends on what Apple shows us as their next gen iPhone. It will have to be pretty special for my mind to change, dropping that ball and chain called AT&T.
    Flawed logic, maybe just a little? Indulge me: how does buying two expensive devices (one of which will mandate a data plan) going to be cheaper than one device that does the function of both? I can understand wanting to try android. I can understand you thinking the user experience may be superior. But saving money by buying a different, yet equally pricey, product with a similar monthly plan? I don't get it. You will pay more up front and approximately the same monthly.
    Last edited by politicalslug; 12-07-2009 at 11:13 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

Suprise
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

Thanks

Sounds like me.

iPod nano > iPod mini > iPod Classic > iPhone 2g > iPhone 3gs > hackintosh..next step is my very own MBP.

Thanks

hmmm thats true idk why ipods and iphones are so great but they just are =P

Thanks

back when i was a kid i remember stores selling candy cigarettes [obviously marketed for children] in packages that looked like the real thing and had one of the major brands labeled on it. palmal, lucky strike, camel, marlbro. i LOVED these! i would buy them all the time, allways pretending that i was smoking. i was like 7 years old. neither one of my parents or close family members smoked so i have no idea why this idea intrigued me so. to this day i do not smoke nor have a wish to......children will do what they wish. it doesnt make it a gateway to anything. we live in a day and age where everything has to mean something terrible, every kid gets a trophy, no children left behind. all this can possibly lead to is our children being smarter than us by the time they graduate junior high....let the kids have their ipods, iphones, zunes, and whatever other gadgetry you can think of.......all i can say is that its becoming a brave new world.
    killall Terminal[]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

iPod nano 1st generation > iPod nano second generation > iPod Shuffle > iPhone 2G > iPhone 3G > Macbook > Macbook Air > iPhone 3GS > Makbook Pro > 27" iMac! I need the 12 step program!!!

Thanks

this story makes sense. i see where those guys are coming from. im 15, have an iPT, and feel an unresistable urge to get an iPhone. im even going to install OSX on my PC.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    back when i was a kid i remember stores selling candy cigarettes [obviously marketed for children] in packages that looked like the real thing and had one of the major brands labeled on it. palmal, lucky strike, camel, marlbro. i LOVED these! i would buy them all the time, allways pretending that i was smoking. i was like 7 years old. neither one of my parents or close family members smoked so i have no idea why this idea intrigued me so. to this day i do not smoke nor have a wish to......children will do what they wish. it doesnt make it a gateway to anything. we live in a day and age where everything has to mean something terrible, every kid gets a trophy, no children left behind. all this can possibly lead to is our children being smarter than us by the time they graduate junior high....let the kids have their ipods, iphones, zunes, and whatever other gadgetry you can think of.......all i can say is that its becoming a brave new world.
    Brilliant logic. I used to play with toy guns, and yet (how odd is this) I didn't grow up to be a gun wielding psycho. Strange. You completely missed the point of the article. Mimicry isn't what they are referring to. They didn't say that little kids see adults with iPhones and buy iPod touches to mimic them. They are talking about conditioning and product lock in (ala the iTunes marketplace and appstore). Nice try, but the story clearly went right over your head.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to politicalslug For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (12-07-2009)