Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jail Guards Accused of Smuggling iPods for Prisoners

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Jail Guards Accused of Smuggling iPods for Prisoners

Two guards at a Washington, DC jail were arrested on federal bribery charges for suspicion of accepting cash to smuggle contraband to inmates: specifically iPods, cell phones and chargers. The devices are prohibited, in part, because they can be used to hack security equipment in the jail.

According to a story in the Washington Post, an inmate went to the FBI in October 2008 to report that guards were taking bribes to smuggle personal electronics into the US capital city's jail. An FBI agent posed as the brother of an inmate, and met with Braxton and Ford. Over the last two years, the agent gave the guards several hundred dollars to smuggle a phone, an iPod and a charger to inmates at the jail.

According to an email sent to the Washington Post’s Crime Scene blog, the Apple devices are considered a security hazard:

Inmates may use the components of devices such as iPods to compromise security equipment within the correctional facility. In addition, such items are in high demand and may be stolen or used by inmates to gamble with others…this has the potential to trigger conflict, assaults and other violent behavior.

The officers, Thomas Ford, 35, and Quincy Hayes, 32, have been placed on administrative leave by the prison system and were released after a brief hearing in the DC federal court. A third person, Renee Braxton, 44, a security guard at a museum, was also released.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Not surprising... I'm sure all kinds of goodies are sneaked into prison all the time.

Just think if the jails and prisons sold Iphones and Ipods. There would be lots of added revenue if that ever happened .

My iPhone is a Part of Me hollow0's Avatar
    Thanks

That snitch prob won't be alive for very much longer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I seriously doubt there are many inmates with the skill to compromise the security of the facility.
    But I could be wrong.

I'm curious as to how they smuggled them in, as I assume everyone is scanned, even the guards.
    ...ahhhh they smuggled them in prison inside their 'prison wallet'!

Quote Originally Posted by hancoma View Post
    I seriously doubt there are many inmates with the skill to compromise the security of the facility.
    But I could be wrong.

I'm curious as to how they smuggled them in, as I assume everyone is scanned, even the guards.
    ...ahhhh they smuggled them in prison inside their 'prison wallet'!
    you would be surprised what people that have nothing to do but read and research are capable of even if they are criminals. The dumbest students can achieve a goal if they are driven and what better motivation then breaking out of jail when your on a life sentence.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

Default lol
    Lol prison guards making sure prisoners who broke the law stay in jail, get in trouble for breaking the law themselves, oh irony... i'm interested in how you would use an ipod to compromise the security of a prison...seems a little far fetched imo, unless the prison has a program running on the computer you cant "x" out and when you plug an ipod in it gives you the option to close said program thus being able to access all the information on the computer...but would a simple ctrl alt delete do the same ?

there was one time where the us government got hacked by use of flash drives...when you put one in it says "install new software", well hackers put a virus into that installation which bypassed the U.S. Virus protectors, and let the hacker sit in the U.S govs computer for a couple days and make off with 12 TB yes TB of information lol...so maybe it has something to do with that...

source..Under Worm Assault, Military Bans Disks, USB Drives | Danger Room | Wired.com

Thanks

Hmm...iPods can be used to make more than just hacking security.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I wonder if they got any iPod touches and if they were jailbroken...get it??

Thanks

i wonder just how this hack would work, we need a post on that in case apple goes even crazier and jailbreaking would for some unknown reason become illegal and they put us all in jail, then we all can escape!
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Stupid. Y risk your jobs for something like that?

This isn't surprising at all. To think that people who work in the correctional institutions are not as corrupt as the convicts they house would be very naive to say the least. When you are around people like that for eight or more hours a day it can corrupt your way of thinking. Goes with the territory. There have been studies about this too that proves your environment greatly affects how you treat people and think.
    "To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." -- William Shakespeare

ever heard of the saying... if you can't beat em join em?
    the best cops would be the best criminals

i highly doubt their utmost concern can really be a security breach with these devices. please. general population criminals. get real. im sure more caustic items are smuggled in. say heroin, cocaine, weapons, cellphones....the list can go on. you think maybe the jailbirds just want a little human freedom and listen to some music. jesus.
    killall Terminal[]

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GENERATI0N View Post
    Just think if the jails and prisons sold Iphones and Ipods. There would be lots of added revenue if that ever happened .
    lol, youre crazy...and probably right, like 2 million people supposedly locked up in the US. 2 million iphones plus 2 million new AT&T subscribers = The REAL Stimulus package !!