+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Pushing For iTunes TV Subscriptions

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Apple Insider is reporting that Apple may be courting television networks with a plan to provide a $30-per-month subscription package that would deliver content via iTunes. The potential service, which
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Apple Pushing For iTunes TV Subscriptions

Apple Insider is reporting that Apple may be courting television networks with a plan to provide a $30-per-month subscription package that would deliver content via iTunes.

The potential service, which may launch as early as 2010, has been kept on the down-low for some time. But the recent wave of information leaks about Apple's allegedly aggressive push for the service likely means its about to debut.

Citing multiple sources, Peter Kafka at MediaMemo said Apple's subscription proposal is not based on any specific piece of hardware, like the Apple TV or forthcoming tablet. Rather, the plan would stick with the existing iTunes desktop software.
    As the article recaps, subtle hints about this service have been dropping since summer, most notably when Gene Munster, senior research analyst with Piper Jaffray, expressed his belief that Apple was preparing to launch a new Apple TV "in conjunction with a subscription TV account."

Although no firm commitments are known to have been made in support of the possible service from major content providers, some expect Disney to dive in head first. Disney and Apple, after all, have long had a very positive relationship as evidence by Disney being the first to provide its content on iTunes - a move that worked well for both Apple and Disney.

It's likely that an announcement of the new service will come soon - much sooner than a tablet from Apple would roll out. As we've seen in recent days, Apple is laying the groundwork for what would appear to be a host of new ventures by shoring up their strongholds. Apple TV software, for example, was updated last week to version 3.0, which introduced a redesigned interface and host of other attractive attributes.

"Apple could leverage its deep library of content with many network and cable channel content owners to provide unlimited access to a sub-library of its TV shows for a standard monthly fee ($30 or $40 per month)," Munster writes. "Such a product would effectively replace a consumer's monthly cable bill (~$85/month) and offer access to current and older episodes of select shows on select channels."
    Image via Apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I would sign up for this, provided they had all the channels I wanted...or any other similar service simply for the cost savings of a regular cable bill!!

Thanks

This would be cool if it's an alternative to the AT&T comcast etc with all channels and not a limited channel for 30 bucks per month

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

If this happens, I'll have to seriously reconsider my cable plan. I don't watch 90% of the channels I get. It'd be great to pay less and just pick & choose the individual shows as I want to view them.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Netflix is only $8 a month and has tons of shows available for instant streaming. I'd prefer a closer price margin to that than to actual cable.

Thanks

That sounds quite a good thing, when i move out i probably using this beause i don't really watch tv but i use the computer a lot

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

or you could just use hulu/fancast/casttv. Or just go to the networks website and most have their shows readily available to watch for free. Why pay for something you can get for free.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

because it will be in HD ? Hulu, fancast and cast tv - so BAD .
    I can pay 30 $ even for a 10-15 great HD channels going to my HD Library , ones I brake the Chanel - I can record every single show in HD - for free

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it is truly in HD, then that is a different story but where does it say that? I could possibly see paying a little for HD service but I don't know about $30 a month.