+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palm Hacks iTunes Again with New Update

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Image via GadgetReview.com Let the update wars continue. On Saturday, Palm rolled out WebOS 1.2.1, which (you guessed it) lets Palm Pre users work around Apple's last update and once
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Palm Hacks iTunes Again with New Update

Image via GadgetReview.com

Let the update wars continue.

On Saturday, Palm rolled out WebOS 1.2.1, which (you guessed it) lets Palm Pre users work around Apple's last update and once again sync their Palm Pre with iTunes 9.0.1.

Computerworld covered the story:
    Palm today re-enabled synchronization through Apple's iTunes for owners of its Pre smartphone, ignoring warnings from a standards group last month. The release of webOS 1.2.1 Saturday was the latest in the back-and-forth between Palm, which kicked off the iTunes sync last June with the launch of the Pre, and Apple, which has blocked the practice several times with iTunes updates.
    Palm's latest "tactic" also enables photo synchronization for the Pre through iTunes, yet another move that will likely prompt a swift but yet undetermined response from Apple. Many tonight (myself included) are wondering how long Palm can get away with this. Palm's webOS 1.2.1, after all, is an intentional swipe at Apple's last update which blocked Palm's previous iTunes hack attack.

Palm is merely illustrating once more that the company simply does not care about USB-IF approval or that Apple is opposed to the Palm Pre syncing with iTunes.

Palm tricks iTunes into "seeing" the Pre as an Apple iPod by using device and product numbers reserved for Apple's hardware. That, however, has reportedly drawn a rebuke from the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), a non-profit company founded by the companies which developed the USB specifications. Both Palm and Apple are members of the USB-IF.
    Two weeks ago, the USB-IF laid the smack down on Palm saying that "Under the Policy, Palm may only use the single Vendor ID issued to Palm for Palm's usage. Usage of any other company's Vendor ID is specifically precluded."

Perhaps there was something unclear about that particular language.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I wonder if Apple will start getting "sue" happy? I don't see Apple letting this one slide....
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

*sigh* when will Palm learn?
    Last edited by angiepangie; 10-03-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Too bad that by Pre messing with Apple its screwing with us jailbreakers instead

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doorstopdima's Avatar
    Thanks

wow thats funni

iPhone? More like MyPhone mattharris85's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone needs to bring Apple down off of their "I own the world cloud". I do not however, like someone screwing with my ability to jailbreak
    If I helped then hit the thanks button...

Thanks

^Palm's in the wrong this time - not Apple.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really dont get this. Is Palm such a ****** company that they couldnt even create their own verion of iTune?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    how pathetic is palm? *sigh* losers! ROFL and they wanted to be the "iPhone killer" this shows how unprofessional they are; not even a software for their own phone. LAME!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Wow thanks again palm( i might stop jb) JK
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

why cant we all just get along? i mean at the end of the day many people say that jail breaking and unlocking our iphone is wrong in fact apple works harder every day to stop us. but because we have paid for our devices we have the right to use it any way we want right?

The people wanting to sync their palms with itunes just want to be able to use their music that they paid for right?

Personaly i am sick of apple always trying to rule the world and make everything their way. i just wish that it was made very clear that once we pay for something we can use it any way we want as long as its legal of course.

p.s. sorry for the bad grammer and spelling

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a Palm Pre. I have an iPhone. Both are very good devices at what they do. I like that they are both good enough to raise the bar on each other to strive to make a better product. In the long run, the iPhone will better because of the Pre and the Pre will probably mature becaue of the iPhone.

I honestly don't understand why Palm keeps doing this. I kinda think it's the ex-Apple employees at Palm just taking pot shot jabs at Apple. Then any publicity that comes out accents Apples "image" of taking over the world. Palms image is so weak that any publicity is good because it's publicity. Surely most of us are mature enough to know that there are any number of great alternatives for the Pre, and with the open source system it wouldn't take a lot to make an iTunes like clone, an iTunes grabber, or any other way to get the music.

I don't like that it hurts the jailbreak side. I don't like that makes fanboys on both side dis the other side. I doubt the big wigs care about either issue.

I prefer to leave it a the corporate level.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It boggles my mind that Apple is more interested in control than having more people and devices use iTunes. As a shareholder, I want Apple to profit as much as possible from software they create and this is one of those times. So Apple, stop being such a control freak and let's make some more money!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Good article!

Whether it is wrong or right is indifferent because it is left to an individuals perception. However, your perception, being based on a the series of events that have led you to this very moment, can only encompass what you've been exposed to; thus, your scope and judgement may be extremely biased and/or limited (this is more true for some than others).

The fact that palm is trying to do this to enable ease of use for its customers is understandable. The fact that Apple wouldn't want palm to use it's software is also understandable.

I will choose no side and instead, revel in ambivalence!
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

It looks like a mouldy old banana to me. And talking of fruit, when are Apple going to change the iTunes logo? CD's are so 1990's. Can't remember the last time I actually bought one.
    Last edited by iGuy; 10-04-2009 at 02:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can load any of the mp3's you buy (that are drm free) onto any device regardless of itunes syncing or not... You don't need iTunes for this. Every time palm goes around Apples security, Apple beefs it up, making things more complicated for anyone who has to go around their security, ie: Saurik.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, I'm kind of neutral to this, Apple is wrong and Palm is wrong. On the other hand, every day that goes by Apple wants to gain more and more control and is getting closer to shooting itself on the foot. I personally had shares at Apple until last month. I would not be a participant of monopoly practices, nor I like or believe in a company that does everything possible to NOT grow or increase its user base, it goes against investors interests.
    I hate to say it, but I don't see much of a difference between Apple and Microsoft when it comes to trying to establish a monopoly.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnysir View Post
    It boggles my mind that Apple is more interested in control than having more people and devices use iTunes. As a shareholder, I want Apple to profit as much as possible from software they create and this is one of those times. So Apple, stop being such a control freak and let's make some more money!
    Don't you see? This is the root of Apple, this is their 'elitist *****' side. Since forever and a day they have never allowed their OS to be run on another system, why? Quality control. If they want to fight to keep their system from being used by some other company, I say let them. Palm is just bringing themselves down to Psystar's level at this point, trying to grab a proverbial piece of Apple's pie.

What's even more irritating to me especially is that I read and watched the press releases where Palm gloated about the Pre being an iPhone killer, all the bragging, and all the big talk... What now Palm? Did your iPhone killer fail so badly you need to resort to using Apple's software to run it?

LOL

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMerovingian For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (10-04-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Palm threatened to file lawsuits against members of MMI.com because they "stole" icons and UI images from the Palm Pre in order to theme on the iPhone. Seems a little hypocritical to me.

I'm ok with the Palm hacking community doing something like this, but not Palm.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Another example of this situation. A year ago I was in the market for a new car and finally decided for a 09 BMW 335i, to find find out that the no maintenance was just a marketing scheme. Car is awesome, but only BMW dealer can change the oil, at the cost of $110. Not only that, their schedule maintenance is every 15k miles for oil change, what?! I change oil on my cars every 5k miles, and was told that if I did that I was voiding warranty, ha ha, I just walked out, you don't run that many miles on any engine without changing oil. Anyways, just to show that based on their BS polices the lost a customer.