Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple, Eminem's music publisher settle out of court

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple, Eminem's music publisher settle out of court

Image via joonbug.com

A lawsuit between Eminem's music publisher and Apple has been resolved... although there are no guarantees that Eminem won't continue the grudge in an upcoming song.

For now, the issue has been settled after five days of trial in federal court. Apple and Eminem's publisher, Eight Mile Style, finally reached an agreement Thursday night that neither side wants to talk about, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The dispute centered around royalties on 93 songs that Apple has been selling on its iTunes music store under an agreement with Dr. Dre's Aftermath Records, which controls the rapper's recordings.

Eight Mile attorney Richard Busch had said that Eminem’s contract with record company Aftermath Records did not give the company the right to make his songs available for download on Apple's popular iTunes service.
    As a result, Eight Mile Style claimed copyright infringement. seeking $2.58 million in damages — their estimate of how much Apple has made off of sales of the music.

Howard Hertz, attorney for Eight Mile Style LLC, told the Free Press that the parties settled the case Thursday night with the “mutual satisfaction of both sides.”
    The dispute is one that we may see play out again and again in the coming months between Apple and other recording labels. At the heart of the matter was who had the right to authorize downloads of Eminem's music on iTunes. As more and more music publishers rely less on physical CDs and more on digital sales to perpetuate their financial and media success, similar sticky situations could pop up around the music industry in strong numbers,

If you recall, this sort of problem can be traced back to 2007 when, once again, Eight Mile Style sued Apple claiming that Eminem's hit "Lose Yourself" was not authorized for an iTunes TV commercial that used the song. Like this matter, that dispute was similarly settled out of court.

iPhone? More like MyPhone brotherbond007's Avatar
    Thanks

Who listens to this guys music? really...his beef should have been with Dr. Dre and Aftermath right. This is not Modmyi.com worthy please remove..
    Black iPhone 4 iOS4 AT&T

The iPhone 4 "my precious" - Gollum

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbond007 View Post
    who listens to this guys music? Really...his beef should have been with dr. Dre and aftermath right. This is not modmyi.com worthy please remove..
    i do!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iancdp For This Useful Post:

florevil (10-03-2009), iRoach74 (10-03-2009)

Thanks

Who listens to this guys music? really...his beef should have been with Dr. Dre and Aftermath right. This is not Modmyi.com worthy please remove..
    Who are you to decide what IS and ISN'T Modmyi.com worthy? This site discusses a very diverse array of topics involving Apple, et cetera, and this story is just another added to the stockpile.

While you may not be interested in a story involving Eminem, this story still goes on record to prove, once again, Apple's lack of respect and acknowledgment for copyright infringement.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4n4c0nd4 For This Useful Post:

jetfuel495 (10-04-2009)

i do 2
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

florevil (10-03-2009), iRoach74 (10-03-2009)

You must not know of the relationship between Dr Dre and Eminem.
    MANY people listen to him.

Rap is garbage kthxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by 4n4c0nd4 View Post
    Who are you to decide what IS and ISN'T Modmyi.com worthy? This site discusses a very diverse array of topics involving Apple, et cetera, and this story is just another added to the stockpile.

While you may not be interested in a story involving Eminem, this story still goes on record to prove, once again, Apple's lack of respect and acknowledgment for copyright infringement.

Well said!

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Who listens to this guys music?
    People who want to listen to the best rapper alive.
    iLive an iLife

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie-Mac For This Useful Post:

iancdp (10-03-2009)

Fail.

It would be very stupid for him to go after Dr. Dre. It's like biting the hand that feeds him. It was good legal move to go after Apple because they too messed up, and well, they have a lot of money.

Thanks

Seriously, rap is sh*t music with broken English.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Millions of people listen to Eminem. Thats why he's the best rapper ever! Just cause you don't listen to him doesn't mean no one else does.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Go Gators For This Useful Post:

andrewe13 (10-03-2009), florevil (10-03-2009)

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

hah this reminds me the other day when i was moving into my apartament at college i put on some hip hop music by The Grynch a local seattle artist and he's a small white guy that looks really geeky but he's really good. my mom turns to me and says "you know who i havn't heard of and jsut seems to have disappeared? eminem."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

andrewe13 (10-03-2009), mk12 (10-05-2009)

Thanks

Best Rapper Alive.

haahahaa jay-z is the best alive dude.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zozodouce For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (10-03-2009)

i agree who give a sh*t about eminem...sueing cause he's a washed up has been...wack rapper anyway just to get some doe cause he cant make any making that corney music he makes....not mmi worthy....

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmybino For This Useful Post:

Rota (10-03-2009)

i do

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    haahahaa jay-z is the best alive dude.
    Nah i believe that's weezy, an example would be tha carter 3 selling 1 million cd's in its first week.
    Last edited by mattharris85; 10-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.
    If I helped then hit the thanks button...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybino View Post
    i agree who give a sh*t about eminem...sueing cause he's a washed up has been...wack rapper anyway just to get some doe cause he cant make any making that corney music he makes....not mmi worthy....
    You must have not been around in in the past 10 years.

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

A) Jay-Z is overrated.
    B) Lil Wayne is the best hip-pop rapper. He couldnt hold a candle to eminem, as evident by their verses on "Forever." Em Killed Drake, West, and Wayne all on one song
    iLive an iLife

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernie-Mac For This Useful Post:

SnowLeo (10-03-2009)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast