+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: leaked iPod Touch prototype had camera

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Images of an iPod Touch leaked to the blog of XM talk show hosts Covino and Rich and MacRumors last month showed a camera near the top of the device,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default leaked iPod Touch prototype had camera

Images of an iPod Touch leaked to the blog of XM talk show hosts Covino and Rich and MacRumors last month showed a camera near the top of the device, in exactly the location of the 6x6x3mm cavity on the released Touch.

A comparison of the leaked images of the device's internals with the iFixit teardown, meanwhile, shows that the leak was genuine. So it seems clear that Apple had intended to put a camera in the 3rd generation iPod Touch. The question is - given the hoopla surrounding the "It's Only Rock'N'Roll" event, and the release of a video camera on the 5th generation nano - why didn't they?

Steve Jobs, in an interview with the New York Times, asserts that the decision was driven by economics. AppleInsider, among others, finds this explanation unconvincing, noting that problems had been reported in the sensor hardware Apple had purchased for the new product.

So if the quality issues can be overcome, one shouldn't be surprised if Touches suddenly start shipping with cameras, and at the same price point. And within weeks, not months: as everyone from Jobs to MacWorld.com's Jason Snell continues to remind us, Christmas is when iPods fly off the shelves. If Apple wants another high-visibility news story to grab holiday dollars, a hardware upgrade that they're already tooled for could be it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

banilla16 (09-13-2009), masonbuechler (09-13-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I highly doubt they release is before new year's september event. They will just piss off the people that bought the new ipod touch if they release a NEWER one within weeks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fubit86 For This Useful Post:

masonbuechler (09-13-2009), Tokyo (09-13-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

They wouldnt play a strategy that clandestine. It wouldnt produce the fanfare that apple loves and thrives on.
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rwin84 For This Useful Post:

masonbuechler (09-13-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah its not gonna happen in weeks. But Jobs is right it does have to do with economics. Next year when the touch needs a redo, it'll be the "same" thing, but with a camera. Those sneaky bastards are thinking in advance. Makes me wonder if they were planning the 3gs, the same time they were announcing the 3g.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyblue_pimp For This Useful Post:

masonbuechler (09-13-2009), Tokyo (09-13-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It aint gonna happen. Maybe a firmare update to activate FM radio? They might do an ipod shuffle and release a new touch in march (or somewhere around there) next year.

Ghey.

Thanks

I believe they just decided to pose it as a gaming device at the last moment though there is a great possibility of some defect that caused this last minute drop-out..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    fake pic ftl

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

hasnt this been posted before

if they didnt release it this 9th why would they release this Holiday

that would be a low blow to customers who bought the new ipod touch
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babyblue_pimp View Post
    Yeah its not gonna happen in weeks. But Jobs is right it does have to do with economics. Next year when the touch needs a redo, it'll be the "same" thing, but with a camera. Those sneaky bastards are thinking in advance. Makes me wonder if they were planning the 3gs, the same time they were announcing the 3g.
    Well they did have the iPhone2,1 (3Gs) string in the /System/Library/AppleUSBDevice/USBDeviceConfiguration.plistof the final 2.0 (5A347) build. This file did also tell us in advance about the iPod3,1 (iPod 3G) as well as some iPod2,2 which we never saw.

Thanks

Never...EVER going happen. If it is going to be release, it is very unlikely.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

am i the only 1 that noticed the small hole next 2 the camera on the touch and the new nano
    is that a light?

Thanks

^I don't think you're the only one who notice the small hole and I doubt it is the light.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Periodic's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fubit86 View Post
    I highly doubt they release is before new year's september event. They will just piss off the people that bought the new ipod touch if they release a NEWER one within weeks
    Ya but they could allow peolpe to send in there ones they bought that are 3rd gen. the stuff is already there they can just take off the backplate and place it back in the production line for a minimal fee

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    am i the only 1 that noticed the small hole next 2 the camera on the touch and the new nano
    is that a light?
    Its called a Microphone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    is that a light?
    That, my friend, is a microphone for recording video .
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats1 View Post
    i will pound you mercilessly with my bacon rod until your your eyes pop out.

Twitter It Up!!

http://twitter.com/staterunner180

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikhilr51 View Post
    It aint gonna happen. Maybe a firmare update to activate FM radio? They might do an ipod shuffle and release a new touch in march (or somewhere around there) next year.

Ghey.
    LOL noob, the FM receiver is hardware and last time I checked you can not update hardware via firmware

Although you can use a free app on the app store that does essentially the same thing, its called iheartradio all one word

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My firm belief-

They did intend to release it; but had some issues. Now, should they decide to release with camera before holiday, some crazy send-in-ipt3g-receive-camera upgrade. This is very unlikely in my opinion.

I would suspect something to do with the FM chip will be announced with the holidays, along with a price drop.

I would also expect the new iPhone (which is recycled every June thus far) would be coupled with a 'new' iPod Touch with camera. That would produce a lot of hype.

They are definitely thinking ahead with their products. They purposefully put a handicap, to make it seem like they are upgrading, when really they are just enabling.

Another possibility I see happening is the Tablet being announced next year. Maybe Demo'd as a surprise with the new iPhone, to distract from the camera-less iPod Touch. Then implement the camera next year.

But hey. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Periodic View Post
    Ya but they could allow peolpe to send in there ones they bought that are 3rd gen. the stuff is already there they can just take off the backplate and place it back in the production line for a minimal fee
    Beat me to it, but not for a minimal fee haha. It's Apple. '$50 Camera upgrade!'
    Last edited by agent005; 09-13-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 4- I'll start theming again

iPhone? More like MyPhone Periodic's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by agent005 View Post
    My firm belief-

They did intend to release it; but had some issues. Now, should they decide to release with camera before holiday, some crazy send-in-ipt3g-receive-camera upgrade. This is very unlikely in my opinion.

I would suspect something to do with the FM chip will be announced with the holidays, along with a price drop.

I would also expect the new iPhone (which is recycled every June thus far) would be coupled with a 'new' iPod Touch with camera. That would produce a lot of hype.

They are definitely thinking ahead with their products. They purposefully put a handicap, to make it seem like they are upgrading, when really they are just enabling.

Another possibility I see happening is the Tablet being announced next year. Maybe Demo'd as a surprise with the new iPhone, to distract from the camera-less iPod Touch. Then implement the camera next year.

But hey. Who knows.

Beat me to it, but not for a minimal fee haha. It's Apple. '$50 Camera upgrade!'
    Ya if they got it working tomorrow i think that they would switch them out for free but if it was like 6 months who knows

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
    hasnt this been posted before

if they didnt release it this 9th why would they release this Holiday

that would be a low blow to customers who bought the new ipod touch
    Do you think apple cares about giving people low blows? I mean they released a new itouch without a camera even though that's what we were hoping.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Might have something to do with Microsoft releasing the 16gb Zune HD @ 219. 10 less than a 8gb touch (at zune release)
    I know Apple has dedicated followers, but the way the economy is right now parents are going to go for the cheaper.
    Of course this is all just a thought.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.