+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [ HOW TO ] Jailbreak iPod Touch with redsn0w | 1G/2G | OS X

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
I found this post when searching in great frustration and a bit of desperation- I accidentally deleted an important voice memo yesterday from my ipod touch, didn't even realize I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I found this post when searching in great frustration and a bit of desperation- I accidentally deleted an important voice memo yesterday from my ipod touch, didn't even realize I had touched the delete button until the little wheel was spinning and it was dissolving before my eyes I'm a long-time mac user, but new to the "touch" (couple months ago, have the 3.0 version (7A341), 32G). I recall some years ago hearing about doing things under "terminal" but I'm not well versed in this area, and don't know if it would even work for the touch. This post makes me hopeful, but it's also daunting- I'm afraid I'd screw up my ipod in trying to do it- so, my questions: 1) can this process described above work to retrieve voice memos? 3) what is the risk of my messing up and losing other stuff in this altered mode? Has anyone else actually had success recovering deleted files on the touch? (not just mp3s)- thanks so much for any insight you might share- seems like some knowledgeable people here.

FYI, I did all the steps above to jailbreak and it seems to have gone really smoothly- all complete, "finished!", etc. ipod touch started back up on it's own just fine. Sorry to be so dense here, but I don't realize how this has now helped me- is being "jailbroken" a permanent thing unless I do something like "go back to jail" (not that I know how to do that!)? Also, and most importantly, is being jailbroken a "state" that will allow me to go and find my lost voice memo from yesterday? That's what I really need to do. I don't really have any sense of what else being jailbroken allows me to do! Thanks, please give me a clue about retrieving lost voice memo. BTW, I found some thread about using something called "SFTP".... but it seemed to be for iphone not ipod touch. anyway, thanks. your instructions were really clear and it all seemed to work, I'm jailbroken, for whatever it's worth ;-)
    Last edited by maggiemae; 08-20-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Very nice tutorial!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, I think I've been doing everything right. I restored my ipod to 3.0 firmware and I did exactly what the application said when I opened it and followed the instructions given here. However, my jailbreak still gets stuck on waiting for reboot. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Last edited by evilweevil666; 08-22-2009 at 09:44 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, so my friend told me it was because redsn0w couldn't jailbreak an ipod touch 2g with 3.0 firmware. So, I downloaded 2.2.1, but when I try and restore to it itunes gives me an error message saying it's not compatible. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

RedSn0w works.
    Make sure you are using the correct ipsw., If you are sure you are then unplug the cable and plug it back in again and it should work.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    RedSn0w works.
    Make sure you are using the correct ipsw., If you are sure you are then unplug the cable and plug it back in again and it should work.
    I'm pretty sure of both. The cable, definitely isn't the issue, perhaps someone could link me I could be sure the ipsw is correct. But I'm 99.99% sure it is.

Thanks

When you bought FW 3.0 it would have downloaded the ipsw to your computer. It is that ipsw you must use.
    What do you mean
    The cable, definitely isn't the issue
    ?
    I told you to unplug the cable and plug it back in again if RedSn0w hangs - it's quite simple, if you do this RedSn0w will continue, if you don't, it won't. Your choice.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

juris001 (08-31-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

When you bought FW 3.0 it would have downloaded the ipsw to your computer. It is that ipsw you must use.
    What do you mean ?
    I told you to unplug the cable and plug it back in again if RedSn0w hangs - it's quite simple, if you do this RedSn0w will continue, if you don't, it won't. Your choice.
    Oh, ok, I thought you were saying to check if it's plugged in correctly before jailbreaking, which I was saying it was. I'll try that, thanks for the help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What do you mean ?
    Thank you so much. I had the same problem before reading your answer. I got the solution now!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default doesnt work
    so if tried like 3 times and each time it was finished but their is an error i noticed while watching a video
    so:
    1. And it says waiting to reboot nothing happens and i have to open itunes and klick restore till the itouch reboots
    2. When the screen is supossed 2 turn white it turns black (withh a little light in the background meaning its on...
    3. when its supposed 2 say downloading jailbreak data it sais nothing its black with a lighting in the background so u now its on
    4. When its supposed to say installing bundles with the quickpwn signe its black like the whole time...
    5. at the end its still black and when i diconect it and connect it again i have to restore it 2 use it again.... and when i resotre it everything is gone again...

Well can any1 tel me what im doing wrong?

and at the beginning i tried pretty much everything... meaning i tried not dooing anything when the backup menu came... i tried starting a new ipod ... and i tried backing it up so all my apps where on it...
    Last edited by itouch suchti; 09-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

Call me crazy but it sounds like you are trying to jailbreak using the incorrect ipsw...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

nope everything was correct but i accidently used the version of redsn0w i tried downloading yesterday :S version 0.8
    insted of version 0.7 now im just browsing around to find out how do download apps

Thanks

0.8 is the latest
    What device do you have? What FW so you have on it? What is the full name of the ipsw you are using? What OS do you have on your computer? Did you tru unpluging the cable when it hung at 'waiting for reboot'?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itouch suchti View Post
    nope everything was correct but i accidently used the version of redsn0w i tried downloading yesterday :S version 0.8
    insted of version 0.7 now im just browsing around to find out how do download apps
    Go to iTunes, browse to an app you like, pay for it(if applicable), download it.
    ORRRR for jailbroken apps.
    Go to Cydia, browse to an app you like, pay for it(if applicable), downlaod it.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Same Problem
    I too am having the same problem of being stuck at the reboot page and have tried all recomended remedies, all to no avail. Please help

Thanks

Some more information might help.
    What device? What's the name of the ipsw you are using? What OS is on your computer?

Thanks

What's the full name of the ipsw file you're using and the device you're trying to JB?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I downloaded iTunes 9 and connected my ipod to my computer and upgraded it to firmware 3.1.1 now cydia and winterboard is gone and all my "app" that I had aren't working. Should I re-jailbreak?

Thanks

How? there is no JB for 3.1x - why on ertah did you upgrade?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hahah I'm not sure, I feel so stupid now.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast