This is a guide on how to jailbreak your iPod Touch 2G using a mac. Please note that it involves using command line so, you may find it difficult. If so, please wait for some until the DevTeam or some third party releases some guided software.
1. Download the firmware files mentioned below:
3. Download the rslite101.zip file from here and extract it.
4. Open the extracted rslite folder and open CustomPackages folder inside it. Ctrl + Click on the CydiaInstaller.bundle and select Show Package Contents. It will display a file Info.plist.
5. Download the PwnageTool and keeping the previous window open, Ctrl + Click on Pwnage Tool app and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to /Contents/Resources/CustomPackages. Ctrl + Click on CydiaInstaller.bundle and select Show Package Contents. A window will pop-up with some files in it. Copy the Info.plist file from previously opened window and paste it into this window. When asked about replacing the file, click Replace.
6. Now, download this modded bundle file and extract it. Copy the extracted file named iPod2,1_2.2.1_5H11a.bundle
7. Again Ctrl + Click on the Pwnage Tool and Select Show Package Contents. Navigate to /Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles and paste the file copied earlier here. Close the window.
8. Now, connect your iPod to the Mac and open Pwnage Tool app by double clicking it. Click OK in the pop-up window.
9. Select Expert Mode and select iPod as the Device. Click the arrow button to go the next step.
10. Let the software search for the 2.2.1 firmware file you downloaded above. Select the 2.2.1 firmware and click the arrow button to go to the next step.
11. Double Click on General and Set the Partition Size if you like. Click the next arrow to get to the next option. This one is for iPhone, so again click arrow to go to next step. Click on Download packages and double click Open SSH to download it (optional). Click the arrow and select the checkbox infront of Cydia Installer to install Cydia. Again click the arrow. Select your boot logo and recovery logo or deselct the checkboxes to keep the default apple ones. Click the arrow, select build and again click the arrow to start building the custom firmware.
12. Type a name for your custom fimrware and select the location to save it. It'd be better if you save this in the same folder as Pwnage Tool (named Jailbreak in this case) for convenience. After some time, it will show a pop-up asking your password, type it and click OK.
13. Now, it will ask you if you have already pwned the iPod, click Yes (just do it!). After that, click OK on the next pop-up asking you to put the iPod in restore mode (though don't do it).
14. Change the extension of custom firmware file from .ipsw to .zip and select Use .zip in the extension pop-up.
15. Extract the zipped firmware and navigate to the /Firmware/dfu directory. From there, copy the file named iBSS.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu to a folder. Rename it to iBSS221pwn.dfu
16. Navigate to /Firmware/all-flash/all_flash.n72ap.production/ directory and copy the file named LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3. Place it in the same folder as the previous file.
17. Change the extension of 2.1.1 firmware file from .ipsw to .zip and select Use .zip in the extension pop-up. Extract the zipped firmware and navigate to the /Firmware/dfu directory. From there, copy the file named iBSS.n72ap.RELEASE.dfu to the same folder as before. Rename it to iBSS211.dfu
18.Download the 24kpwn patch from here. Extract it to get the file LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch Place it in the same directory as the other three files.
19. Now, download the LIBUSB for Mac package from here as per your OSX version. Extract the downloaded file to get libusb.pkg and double click to install it.
20. Open Terminal in your Mac and navigate to the directory with patch and other files.
21. Type in the commands below, line by line.
bspatch LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.patch
rm -rf LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3
cp LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3
rm -rf LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3.new
22. After that, copy the LLB.n72ap.RELEASE.img3 in the directory to /Firmware/all_flash/all_flash.n72ap.production/ directory of your extracted custom 2.2.1 firmware. Select Replace on the pop-up.
23. Again open terminal and navigate to the main directory of your extracted custom firmware. Type the command below:
zip -r ../CustomFirmware.ipsw ./
Now, you'll get a firmware file named CustomFirmware.ipsw in the same directory where the extracted custom firmware is.
25. Put the iPod into DFU mode using our guide here.
26. Now copy all the files (not folders) in rslite directory to the directory containing the patch and other files. Make sure iTunes is not running.
27. Open Terminal and navigate to this directoy. Run rslite by typing the command ./rslite and issue the following command:
After this, the screen of the iPod will turn white.
28. Now, again run rslite by typing ./rslite and type the commands below, one by one:
29. Now, iTunes will open and show a pop-up that iPod is in Recovery Mode. Click OK.
30. Option + Click on the Restore button and navigate to the directory where CustomFirmware.ipsw is located and select it. Click OK and let iTunes will restore the iPod.
31. After some time, it will show a pop-up saying the iPod has been Restored, click OK.
32. When the iPod will boot, it will be jailbroken and non-tethered as well! Go and play around with newly installed Cydia!
Only the credit for making this tutorial goes to me. All the credit for the hack goes only to chronic, CPICH, ius, planetbeing, pod2g, posixninja, and co.
P.S. I am not liable if you brick you iPod Touch though there are no chances of it, if you follow the above step by step. I have followed the same (duh!)