+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 9 inches of... iPod Touch?

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
The guys at Tech Crunch have "three independent sources close to Apple" who have confirmed a "7 or 9 inch screen" iPod Touch device coming this fall. Apparently their sources
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Default 9 inches of... iPod Touch?

The guys at Tech Crunch have "three independent sources close to Apple" who have confirmed a "7 or 9 inch screen" iPod Touch device coming this fall. Apparently their sources have even held a prototype.

Rumors of a tablet-like device and Apple have been going around for a while. Could this be the device they were creating? As of now, its still rumor, but TechCrunch trusts their sources, and its multiple ones.

An interesting question is whether this would run a fuller version of OS X, or the same stripped down version the iPhone and iPod Touch currently use. Assuming a 9 inch screen - it'd be mostly marketed as a movie and gaming device I am betting. Perhaps the inclusion of an optic drive for watching DVDs etc?

Developers of existing AppStore games have been designing their apps for a 480x320 160ppi resolution screen though - so either a) this device would have to have a lower resolution (which I doubt Apple is planning on doing), b) developers would /all/ have to redesign their apps, and presumably mark in the AppStore they're compatible with both classes of devices (iPod Touch/iPhone AND this new tablet device), or c) Apple would have to do some sort of weird magic.

What do you think?

TechCrunch

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Kochotic (12-31-2008), tattoojack (01-03-2009), tupa (09-22-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

First Post! This would be cool like archos's players, imagine iPhone 9 inches big lol, a tablet type iPod Touch, or iTablet? hmm with a more fuller OS X would be nice too

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DTRocker For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Technically you're the second post b/c you weren't awesome enough to dig up this info in the first place and make it the FIRST post!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

BenzoHartt (01-07-2009), Hondamaker (04-21-2009), Kaas (01-02-2009), nrowensby (12-31-2008), tupa (09-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone nrowensby's Avatar
    Thanks

Developers of existing AppStore games have been designing their apps for a 480x320 160ppi resolution screen though - so either a) this device would have to have a lower resolution (which I doubt Apple is planning on doing), b) developers would /all/ have to redesign their apps, and presumably mark in the AppStore they're compatible with both classes of devices (iPod Touch/iPhone AND this new tablet device), or c) Apple would have to do some sort of weird magic.
    A fuller OSX would be an answer to this question... You would then be using the same software/games/etc that a normal Mac would use therefore the developers wouldn't have to remake their iPhone/iTouch apps, they would jsut need to make sure they have a version for a full scale Mac.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nrowensby For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

defeats the purpose of portability. i cant shove nine inches of an OSX derivative in my pocket. its not cool.

i would like it if it was an intel-powered PC. then i would reconsider.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrWHOx For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Right, but at the same time AppStore is a huge push for sales of this device. Or a jumping point to get iPhone debs to port that software to OS X, increasing the software library there. A plus either way for Apple.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWHOx View Post
    defeats the purpose of portability. i cant shove nine inches of an OSX derivative in my pocket. its not cool.

i would like it if it was an intel-powered PC. then i would reconsider.
    Shove nine inches of what into your pocket?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

KelvinalF
    wait cant they just use what was discovered before? using a cable to play an iphone game on a tv through a cable for a large ipod touch like tablet/touch screen

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KelvinalF For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope an firmware update for the iPhone comes when this is released including the ability to forward text messages and bluetooth file sharing!

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MetallicaFan1991 For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Thanks
    I'd definately get something like this.

Sounds great, especially the part about it possible running on Mac OS

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kronic Haze For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

who needs a 9" mini mac. iphone/real mac... no need for a item in the middle...
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

22. The Following User Says Thank You to smirkis For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default That would be cool
    But i would never muy a iTouch i love my phone 2 much!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to blacksti For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Pillages Villages
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    or Apple would have to do some sort of weird magic.
    Weird magic is my favourite kind of thing that's weird!

But I agree with Smirkis. I have a MacBook, which I don't take with me, but is portable. And I have my iPhone, which is always with me. So who would they market this to? People who want a portable lightweight laptop that could fit in your bag, who already have a phone and a music player?

Well, it doesn't make much sense to me; but then... Apple could develop a metal hollow tube, and they'd still manage to sell it. :P

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Proserpine For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Thanks

is that the new 9" apple tablet in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chase817 For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Thanks

That would be so cool! Much more inovative then the macbook air, and if done properly, just as functional. Look, scifi shows like star trek always had those cool tablet touch pads for just about everything. When 2000 hit, my first thought was 'where is all the cool stuff?'.

Now 8 years later we are finally seeing the fruition of that mentality. Think how cool that would be to read actual newspapers or books on one of those thing? How about menus for resturaunt (when it becomes uber cheap of course).

The next big thing would be able to just set it on a table top console and simply transfer data without any cables or thumb drives.

Im not a fan of osx, but if the price was right, i might be inclined to buy one provided it was a full featured tablet pc and not slimmed down.

Either way thats cool!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to boe_dye For This Useful Post:

tupa (09-22-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    That would be so cool! Much more inovative then the macbook air, and if done properly, just as functional. Look, scifi shows like star trek always had those cool tablet touch pads for just about everything. When 2000 hit, my first thought was 'where is all the cool stuff?'.

Now 8 years later we are finally seeing the fruition of that mentality. Think how cool that would be to read actual newspapers or books on one of those thing? How about menus for resturaunt (when it becomes uber cheap of course).
    Except they already have this called digital ink, and it is fairly old technology, it just never caught on.

As to this device? If it's not a true tablet Mac then it is fail in my book. An oversized touch just sounds stupid.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

oh absolutely, if it is just an oversized iPod then who cares? That would be really retarded to go to all that effort for an mp3 player.

And of course this isn't the first touch tablet type of deal, there is also that archaic monochrome overpriced hunk of crap from amazon.com the Kindle or whatever it is...

Also if anyone takes notice, windows XP has always supported tablet PC functions and how long ago did XP come out, and how many tablet PC's do we see running around?

And if we really want to dig up ancient history, how about the apple Newton? That thing was Waaaay before Palm if im not mistaken.

Remember, apple has always been doing things "ahead of their time", but in this case if they do it right, then they wouldn't be ahead of their time, they would define the current time.

It will only be cool as a fully functional computer. Not stripped down, not limited, but as an actual computer.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Theirs a patent I've seen a while ago saying Apple was creating an iPhone that has a small solar panel in the screen which charges the battery.. Could that be why the screen is bigger?? Also using an SSD instead of an HD that has spinning parts.
    Last edited by Jager673; 01-01-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I personally have always looked at my iPod as being sleek, small and minimal. I does cool things, yes, but I bought it to play music, and sure enough, that's what it does best. I'm not saying this device isn't coming, but whatever it is, it's not an iPod of any sort. We have seen rumors of a tablet coming and I believe this is it. Probably not with the iPhone/Touch OS though. I don't see a full fledged OS either. My reasoning for this is because a full OS would need a stylus on a 9in screen, and that would be too clumsy for any modern Apple product. I would imagine there will be an SSD storage drive and no optical drive as usual. Anyway, this is no iPod coming folks.
    T-mobile has stolen my wallet's heart

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Kind of defeats the purpose of carrying around a portable media player IMO.

At the potential price tag this thing will be and side of it, I would rather buy a smaller laptop.