Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: LuxPro Rips Off iPod then Sues Apple

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,275 Times in 652 Posts

Default LuxPro Rips Off iPod then Sues Apple

Back in 2005 LuxPro ripped off the iPod Shuffle with their "Super Shuffle." The look and operation was almost identical to the iPod Shuffle along with the specs.

Apple responded by getting an injunction in Taiwanese court preventing LuxPro from making, distributing, or selling any MP3 player. This was later over ruled in 2007 allowing LuxPro to produce MP3 players again.

Now LuxPro has decided to sue Apple with claims that Apple holds a monopoly in the digital music player market and abuses power to keep competition from being successful.

According to the lawsuit when Apple's injunction against LuxPro was approved in 2005 Apple " . . . sent warning letters to other companies doing business with Luxpro demanding that they cease doing business with Luxpro." "For example, Apple placed significant pressure on InterTAN, a subsidiary of U.S.-based consumer electronics giant Circuit City (NYSE: CC), to drop Luxpro's MP3 players from its retail shelves."

The Lawsuit is for a rather small amount of $75,000. Does LuxPro have any chance of winning this? I don't know. What I do know is a simple equation. Rip-off an Apple product and Apple will destroy you.

[via informationweek]

Thanks

They won't win. Guaranteed.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Question is, how was it over ruled?! o.0

Thanks

Even if they don't, I think they're in the right. Apple has no right to exert pressure in that way.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think LuxPro has a good chance of wining this...oh and why did'nt Apple sue Microsoft for vista? lol

i hope they win. its not like that have a patent for the ipod shuffle, do they? if they do, then how did they over rule it?

Thanks

luxpro will probably be hit with a patent infringement lawsuit or at least I hope.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default hmm...
    The ipod shuffle's design wasn't exactly innovative.
    And it certainly didn't come with any advanced features or hardware to patent.

There were only 2 things special about the shuffle:
    The only thing that was significant about the shuffle was its lack of features. I don't know if you can patent a lack of features...

And

People could actually afford an apple product.

that being said... i dont know if apple will win this one.

but hell lawyers dont go to school for all that time for nothing.

Thanks
    lol luxpro lost already...

A Patent is a patent, regardless on what it is for. Apple has always been cutting edge in their concepts and designs, and a lot of other companies use this to fuel their products conception. Web designers do it all the time, advertising agents, etc.

The issue is not a fact of Apple Monopolizing a market, you own a patent, you can do what you want. Regardless if it trumps someone elses business. Apple spent money on making the design, apple spent money on staff researching and developing the concept of the shuffle. They released a product, and it was duplicated. So in the end, Apple has every right to sue, contersue, employ methods of purchasing discouragement. It is their product, they can do with it as they please.

In all legal terms, if the concept is the same, they can offer to sue. It is up to the proceeding trial court to decide if an infringement is indeed the case. In the initial case, that is what was decided. So that is where it stands, it can be overruled based on new information provided if the court is willing to reopen the trial.

It goes very similar with Apple's battle in Canada to market the term iPhone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emelin27 View Post
    I don't think LuxPro has a good chance of wining this...oh and why did'nt Apple sue Microsoft for vista? lol
    cuz microsoft has way more money then apple, they are still leading

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sparblaze's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emelin27 View Post
    Microsoft is such a big company that would be a hard case. Apple does file a lot of patents though, but they want people to see how Microsoft copies their ideas. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8"]Apple WWDC 2006[/ame]
    Last edited by Sparblaze; 10-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks

I think Apple should pay LuxPro the money and settle this out of court. I pretty sure Apple can afford $75,000. This wasn't a pattern violation. I hope Apple doesn't turn into Walmart. Killed all the small business.

Apple=Walmart???

Scary

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

im pretty sure they are going to lose but they are right by suing apple for this. they are taking it way to far

I guess LuxPro might win this "monopoly" related lawsuit; if not win, then at least get a decent settlement out of it. If they (LuxPro) have any documentation\evidence that Apple asked even one single company to stop dealing with LuxPro, they'll have the upperhand.

As for iPod Shuffle patent - I don't think it is patented. Apple doesn't make majority of the hardware, if any, for iPods. Design...hmm I don't know, it's definitely "patentable" but who knoes

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I think Apple should pay LuxPro the money and settle this out of court. I pretty sure Apple can afford $75,000. This wasn't a pattern violation. I hope Apple doesn't turn into Walmart. Killed all the small business.
    i think this is the reason why the number is so small. they probably want to settle out of court to. and pocket a bunch of dough easily.

Thanks

Honestly, I don't see how anyone can side with LuxPro on this. Those products are almost identical to Apple's. It' as if they did this specifically to challenge Apple. There is the same number of buttons, in the same location, with the same labels, in the same layout. There is a usb port with a plastic cap on the bottom in the same spot, and the dimensions are very similar.

Seems to me it would have been much simpler for luxpro to, say, come up with their own design. Sure the IC and circuitry is probably their own, but honestly, how complex is the engineering in a 512MB usb mp3 player? They couldn't change the design at least a little?

Sorta off topic, but I guarantee you Circuit City is going to close soon:

CC: Summary for Circuit City Stores, Inc. - Yahoo! Finance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast