+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wozniak Predicts Death of iPod

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
The iPod, the most popular portable music player in existence may be on its final legs according to Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple Inc. "The iPod has sort of
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,273 Times in 652 Posts

Default Wozniak Predicts Death of iPod

The iPod, the most popular portable music player in existence may be on its final legs according to Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple Inc.

"The iPod has sort of lived a long life at number one. Things like, that if you look back to transistor radios and Walkmans, they kind of die out after a while", Wozniak said in an interview with telegraph.co.uk.

Wozniak went on further to say "It's kind of like everyone has got one or two or three. You get to a point when they are on display everywhere, they get real cheap and they are not selling as much."

Wozniak is absolutely correct that it seems like everyone has two or three iPods. Banks give them out when you open a new checking account. Colleges give them to new freshman students. These things are absolutely everywhere.

What Wozniak didn't mention is what he thinks will replace the iPod. Over the years since the original introduction of the iPod there have been countless other portable music devices on the market but none of them have seemed to dent iPod sales at all. Not even Microsoft's Zune seems to be able to compete in sales.

Apple also releases new iterations of the iPod regularly which helps promote new continued sales. If you have a 3 year old iPod that has worn out or is broken and you like it it is only natural to buy another iPod.

Maybe Wozniak is right and the iPod is coming to and end. If that's the case its replacement better be damn good.

[via telegraph]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

strange why stop such a big income

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

maybe the brick?

Thanks

Technological products as we know them, die. They all have, they all will. I don't think anyone would think that iPods will be around for hundreds of years..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dash-2 View Post
    Technological products as we know them, die. They all have, they all will. I don't think anyone would think that iPods will be around for hundreds of years..
    Agreed
    Technology is something that fades with time,new gets developed and people lose interest in the old...

Thanks

NOOOOOO!!!!! Say it ain't so!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelticfury View Post
    NOOOOOO!!!!! Say it ain't so!
    it ain't so

8. The Following User Says Thank You to phatphob For This Useful Post:

kelticfury (10-08-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphob View Post
    it ain't so
    It is indeed not so LOL

Thanks

Default ok mystic meg
    Is this guy havin a laugh, of course ipod will die, or just evolve into something completely different. It not rocket science and hes not mystic meg.

Thanks

Maybe this is why they won't hire him back.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i have been to the future and the new world order is led by an ipod that, thanks to a power surge, attained AI and is now enslaving the human race!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, in a sense they already have. Look at the ipod touch versus the first generation ipod. Other than a name they share very little in common. Sure they play music, but that is about it. It is an evolution. They are basically evolving into handheld computers and phones (such as the iPhone). i think what we will see is everyone will EVENTUALLY have a smartphone type device that just plays music, hence reducing the need for an ipod since, well, my phone plays music, why clutter my life with something that is made ONLY to play music? This is probably why Apple got onto the iPhone bandwaggon. I would not at all be surprised to see the iPod phased out and its place taken over by the iPhone... really that has already begun in my eyes.

To those who are freaking out... don't worry, Apple doesn't want to give up their hold of the mp3 player market. Hell, it is what makes them their money!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhone? More like MyPhone b3nny's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, in a sense they already have. Look at the ipod touch versus the first generation ipod. Other than a name they share very little in common. Sure they play music, but that is about it. It is an evolution. They are basically evolving into handheld computers and phones (such as the iPhone). i think what we will see is everyone will EVENTUALLY have a smartphone type device that just plays music, hence reducing the need for an ipod since, well, my phone plays music, why clutter my life with something that is made ONLY to play music? This is probably why Apple got onto the iPhone bandwaggon. I would not at all be surprised to see the iPod phased out and its place taken over by the iPhone... really that has already begun in my eyes.

To those who are freaking out... don't worry, Apple doesn't want to give up their hold of the mp3 player market. Hell, it is what makes them their money!
    yes, thank you for saying all that so i didn't have to. "better be damn good"? it is. its called an iphone. its damn good.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i have been to the future and the new world order is led by an ipod that, thanks to a power surge, attained AI and is now enslaving the human race!
    Lol! Reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons, where iPod enslave humans and use the headphone wire as a whip, think it's a "Treehouse of Terror" episode. Doh!!!!(Gotta love Homer!)

Of course the iPod's going to die, nearly everybody has an iPod, why would they want another one?
    Why would you want an iPod if you have an iPhone and an old iPod with a massive hard drive??

I have a 30GB black iPod Video and still carry it around alongside my iPhone. Lol after 4 years, I've only got 3.90GB of Videos, Photo and Music in iTunes.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

i think that he might have misspoken or at least been misunderstood. I don't think that it's the iPod that is coming to an end, more as the mystique surrounding it.

Consider this:

The iPod was certainly not the first mp3 player, i believe that the RIO cd/mp3 player was the "first" (this is going way back). The iPod is what made it very cool to own an mp3 player.

That's always been the thing with Apple products. They are kinda like a "members only club", where owning one makes you feel elite and cool. Looking down on the windows peons who have yet to be enlightened.

Everyone owns or has owned a windows machine at one point or another. But only the "special" few select people can own an APPLE. So there is a factor of exclusivity to it.

Now that Apple has a considerably larger market share in just about everything, that exclusiveness is starting to disappear. Now instead of the elite owning an iPod, Joe Schmoe has an iPod. And with the incredibly good price for the iPhone, it is quite honestly the absolute best value for your dollar regarding mobile phones.

It even blows the windows mobile PDA out of the water, and I own a windows mobile PDA!

And because of the iPod and the iPhone, more and more people are looking towards OS X as a computer system as opposed to Vista.

...well Vista kinda helped with that one a bit too when it first came out...

So i think what he was getting as wasn't so much that their (Apples) reign as king is coming to an end, but that there exclusiveness is becoming more and more common and less exclusive.

Another way to think about it is like this. Way back in the day when it cost $10,000 for a computer with an 8 meg hard drive there was a serious amount of exclusiveness to it.

Not only did it cost the same as 2 years college tuition, but you really had to know what you where doing and want to learn. No point and click, no pretty gui, all command line. Sure there were some games out there (Tapper, and the old Sierra Games), but mostly people gamed on Atari and NES.

There was no "internet" as we know it today, so we were all stuck with word of mouth, exploration, reading thick and boring manuals, BBS' if you were lucky to have a modem and many many "Oh Fuque" moments.

I still remember typing in Format C in Dos with no parameters....

Talk about exclusiveness. It was like holding the holy grail of knowledge cause you had a computer!

(not typing format c, but knowing how to use a word processor or a spread sheet)

And then eventually the price dropped and more and more people bought them.

Then Windows 1, and then 3.1 came out, and suddenly things got easier. But as they got easier people started to take them for granted. And you no longer had to know what you were doing and just be stupid about things.

(i just fixed a girls computer cause she clicked on the link that said "give us your credit card and we will remove all 9000 viruses on your computer". And she gave them her CC! Then she let her friend who is in school for "computer sciences" or some B.S. "Fix" it. I just love people who blindly delete registry keys...)

Today, everyone owns a computer, and most people don't have a clue as to what they have or even have an interest in making it work. So I think that is where Woz was going with that, that the exclusiveness is disappearing.

All and all where could it go next? We are all so concerned about smaller size and bigger capacity that we really do have the best there is. Other changing compression formats (mp3, ogg, flac, m4a, aiff and so on) And having more storage on the cheap, and tweaking the GUI. The most we can hope for it upgrading to thinner and prettier. And then there is the point where it can't go any smaller because it just becomes unusable.

And the MP3 concept has been around for 20+ years and it's now just become common.

If anything, the only thing that i could see happening would be having holographic projectors the size of a phone for video conferencing. Or implants that are connected to a massive data base that you merely need to think it and you have it.

But who knows? I am certain that it will come out eventually, but i doubt any time soon.

*****edit

Unless of course someone creates the "Dawson's Creek Trapper Keeper Ultra Keeper Futura S 2000" like in South Park.
    Last edited by boe_dye; 10-08-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: adding

Green Apple
    Thanks

The iPod killer is already out there. It's the iPod Touch (and the iPhone). I predict the iPod Classic will be phased out and eventually be replaced by the iPod Touch. The price for either is quite comparable.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    its just good business, every beginning has it end~~infact~~i already see the replacement for the ipod~~the iphone/itouch~~they still call it ipod but its a total different thing. i personally enjoy playing Asphalt4 and listen to music in train~~thats a total different experiences.

My iPhone is a Part of Me rwin84's Avatar
    Thanks

iPod will not die. iPod can't die it is immortalized. It's kinda like Kleenex, its a brand name that has become more than a brand its a standard for tissues. Before I digress any further, it has become common place for people to refer to any mp3/portable music player as an iPod. That is a statement of the products longevity. Band-Aid, Tylenol, Slurpee are all representations of the same idea. You dont go to the store to buy disposable, self adhesive bandages or frozen flavored slush drink. You go to the store to buy the standard. The standard which has and will stand the test of time while marginally giving up some market share to imitation (not duplication).
    This is getting a lil' ridiculous...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rwin84 For This Useful Post:

DiPSET08 (10-08-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post

thank you. i completely agree. the ipod will deff die out but it will be implemented into new products, such as the iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

ipods will never die. apple will make new products that play music and call them ipods. like dell, hp, any computer company. think of ipod as its own company, making its own products, because thats what it seems to be to me.