+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wozniak Predicts Death of iPod

is a discussion within the

iPod News

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 ipods will never die. apple will make new products that play music and call them ipods. like dell, hp, any computer company. think of ipod as
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,268 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan0930 View Post
    ipods will never die. apple will make new products that play music and call them ipods. like dell, hp, any computer company. think of ipod as its own company, making its own products, because thats what it seems to be to me.
    I concur. While the design may change a bit and features added etc I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't believe the stand-alone audio player will ever completely die. We need iPod Shuffle's and iPod Nanos for running/working-out and for our children who are too young for a mobile phone.

I do believe the iPod Classic will be retired once the Nano has over 100GB of flash storage and that'll probably happen sooner than later.

I may not have great vision for the future but I believe the future will still have stand-alone music players and a good chunk of them will be called iPods.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to egarc For This Useful Post:

DiPSET08 (10-08-2008)

Thanks

I'd get a cranial jack William Gibson style!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think like some others that the iPod touch/iPhone is the iPod's (in a traditional sense) replacement.

Nanos will probably stick around for a while, because of the portability, but I think they will be less common. Maybe Apple will change the name to iTouch since a lot of people are already calling it that (bothers me a bit personally, but I could see Apple doing this. They changed their company's name recently, afterall)

It's also important to distinguish what the woz is defining as an iPod. It sounds to me like he is referring to the standard model, now called the classic. The biggest one, with the most storage. I don't think anyone would disagree that the classic model is on it's last leg, and probably only has one more generation ahead, if that (that would be 8 generations of iPod!! iPod 1G-5G and iPod Classic 1G-3G)

Honestly, it's already happening!! Think of how many more people have bought a nano or touch/iPhone than iPod classic. I've only known one person to get classic, but 4 or 5 that have gotten the nano, and even more that have iPhones and Touch's.

The key factor in the phasing out is the development of flash storage, which is happening pretty rapidly. Once they can get a flash chip roughly the same size as the 8GB chip in the new nano 4G with 64GB or more of storage, they will probably stop making hard-drive iPods all together. Better for the environment, lower production costs, higher margin - it just makes sense.

Personally, I think we will probably see the last gen of the iPod classic around August '09, and by 2Q 2010 we will be looking at the new iPod nano, in 32GB and 64GB, and the official abandonment of the classic
    Last edited by WillyDavidK; 10-08-2008 at 09:56 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

.... Apple will say hello to G. Lucas and We will have all Iphone , Ipod programs in 3D = ipod and iphone will never end , its call evolution

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol everyone has said the same thing in the last 20 posts :P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i have been to the future and the new world order is led by an ipod that, thanks to a power surge, attained AI and is now enslaving the human race!
    sounds like a lil something fron the jpod tv series

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default The Ipod just wont die...
    The fat guy is just mad cause he don't with Apple no more.....
    Let time be the judge.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The fat guy?? Someone needs a little history lesson...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    the ipod has evolved into something else, the iphone.. there is no need for ipods anymore with all this technology combined into one device.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ipod replacement would be a filling in your tooth that holds your music and transmits directly to your ears, and i suppose u can use ur finger as a usb port, or maybe they will bring back firewire cause apple took that away from us =[
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button =]

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

very good read. if the ipod dies, apple better have a damn good rebound thats alot better than the ipod. and it better have a catchy name with i in the beginning of it.
    mrsidewayzz
    iPhone 2G 16GB, iPod Classic 120GB
    MacBook 13.3" 2.0ghz 250GB 2GB
    YNSA, USN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jakeasdel View Post
    ipod replacement would be a filling in your tooth that holds your music and transmits directly to your ears, and i suppose u can use ur finger as a usb port, or maybe they will bring back firewire cause apple took that away from us =[
    it's not that they took firewire away, cause God only knows how much it is still widely used in the music industry, the thing is, is that they way they marketed firewire, and what they expected in return for everyone to use firewire was too high.

That's why USB blew it away cause microsoft and intel just said here it is use it and enjoy, Apple wanted a cut every time the name was used.

That's one reason why the iPhone is going to really going to put Apple on the map (well at least a considerably larger space then before). When the first iPhone came out, it was very elitist. But with the new 3g one, they made it so much cheaper for the common man to consider, or at least worked the numbers better.

And that is where Apple can really win, is that they created the mystique around their products. They made them desirable, but kept them priced so that they were out of the hands of everyone.

Now we are starting to see that they are saying, "hey, you've heard about it, now you can have one too and at a more competitive price".

And if the reports are true about a sub 1000 dollar laptop, we are probably going to see more and more OS X users.

And then eventually we will start to see a cheaper Mac Desktop, and not just some iMac, but an actual Mac Desktop.
    Herp a derp a derp a doooo!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

use pandora or last fm over 3g and let me know why you would ever purchase music over itunes if you can just pay for a usage fee monthly or on a use by use basis..you get anything you ever want..cover art..all meta data etc.. its like video on demand. storage on HDD is fastly fading away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
    And then eventually we will start to see a cheaper Mac Desktop, and not just some iMac, but an actual Mac Desktop.
    There is, and always was. Look back at G3, G4, G5, and now Mac Pro. Base models are cheap, in comparrison to most of macs products they aren't that expensive until you start adding to them. Even go as far back as the G2 or the Cube. (Wasn't it the same thing, cant remember).

I've owned a G5 since they came out, ordered a G4 got a call they were discontinued, but wait we have a new product the G5 and with the specs you wanted it will save you 800 bucks. I said sign me up, and haven't regreted it for a second.

But thats all off topic. As it has been said, it is the legacy of electronic goods, they all do die, or become something more. I enjoy my iPhone, I have had both the 2G and the 3G. Enjoyed them both thoroughly, only got the 3G because I was hit by a car and the screen shattered on the 2G. Sometimes I thank getting hit by the car, because I really really like the 3G. But as history has shown us, especially with electronics is in a year or less something smaller, faster, and better comes out. PC's are a good example of this...

I still remember buying an Acer Aspire many moons ago (when macs were still coming in those small unibody hunks of tanned plastic, which are now more commonly used as fishbowls), and by the time I got it out of the box and set up a week later, it was already out of date. Technology is huge, and rapid.

I have no doubt the iPod will disappear, or become something else, but only time will tell what it will become. There are plenty of technologies out there, that havent even been mentioned here yet. Microsofts water tables, LED film... there are so many directions that multimedia devices can go. But I must admit, they wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for the competition the iPod brought in.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12