Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPod Touch Disassembled,has a Bluetooth Chip.

Default iPod Touch Disassembled,has a Bluetooth Chip.

iFixit has posted disassembly photographs of the iPod Nano and iPod Touch. These disassembly photos are common after new products are released and provide readers an interesting view of the internals of the latest Apple products.

Occasionally, however, there's also an interesting find. In this case, iFixit has found that the iPod Touch actually contains an unadvertised Broadcom BCM4325 Bluetooth chip. Apple has not made any mention of Bluetooth support in the new iPod Touch.

What Apple did announce was that it had added Nike+ wireless support in the iPod Touch. According to Apple's FAQ, the Nike+ system uses a "proprietary low-power 2.4 GHz radio protocol" which is specifically said not to be Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

Bluetooth, however, appears to use the same frequency. We're uncertain if a Bluetooth chip can emulate the Nike+ protocol or if there is a separate unidentified Nike+ receiver in the iPod Touch. Regardless, this will certainly trigger speculation about adding Nike+ support in current iPhones and additional uses of the Bluetooth chip in the iPod Touch (such as Bluetooth headsets).

iFixit also let us know that the iPod Touch's headphone jack has five wires coming out of it, while the old iPod Touch only had four. This suggests that the external microphone support is likely true.

Update: The Bluetooth chip is likely being used for the Nike+ support.

[ifixit via Macrumors]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think somebody will most likely hack the chip or make some software which will use that chip to use Bluetooth. Oh well at least know now.

"Everybody has common sense, but most just don't use it, then you wonder why?" - Neo-Tech

The Nike+ uses a propietary 2.4 ISM protocol, not at all related to bluetooth, and this chip is very unlikely used for such purpose.

The Nike+ uses an indeed propietary modulation and software stack from nordic semi. This bluetooth chip, has another use for apple, if at all.

can you say wireless headphone!?

Quote Originally Posted by tequilaguru View Post
    The Nike+ uses a propietary 2.4 ISM protocol, not at all related to bluetooth, and this chip is very unlikely used for such purpose.

The Nike+ uses an indeed propietary modulation and software stack from nordic semi. This bluetooth chip, has another use for apple, if at all.

well let's indeed hope apple amazes us with something totally innovative

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hope we can use our ipods to share anything with bluetooth.. i'll be nice :P
    ●ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ HIEL -Δят- ҳ̸Ҳ̸ҳ●
    > MyLiFe: My MoD iPoD! _____ MyJoB: JailBrokeR!! <

Quote Originally Posted by pfcfury View Post
    can you say wireless headphone!?
    That's what I'd put my money on

What else do you need bluetooth for on an iPod?

Quote Originally Posted by agentfubu View Post
    That's what I'd put my money on

What else do you need bluetooth for on an iPod?
    sony has a set but you need to use there adapter that plugs in the bottom

Microphone head set support isn't rumored. Steve announced it in the keynote.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hiel ArT View Post
    I hope we can use our ipods to share anything with bluetooth.. i'll be nice :P
    That is what I am wondering also.
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
    Microphone head set support isn't rumored. Steve announced it in the keynote.
    ya...cmon guys, it was so widely advertised,
    which is exactly my point, apple wouldn't hide an amazing feature, just to be like hey guys! here's the new update, it has bluetooth *Surprise*
    ~Jayy