Ever lost your wireless card while running ubuntu and wanted a quick and easy setup to tether to your ipod? I have, so here's a tut to show you how:
1. Make sure Ubuntu is up to date. I've had some problems with older versions in ubuntu not working with this.
2. Make sure your ipod is jailbroken and ubuntu can mount it.
3. Open terminal and run This will use iproxy to open port 2222 on your ipod for connections, then ssh into port 2222, open a socks server on 8118, and then log you into your ipod. If you didn't understand any of that, just copy and paste it, then put in your ipod's ssh password. Hopefully it isn't alpine.
4. Open firefox and go into Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Network>Settings
5. Now click Manual Proxy Configuration
6. On the Socks Host: line 127.0.0.1 is the host name and 8118 is the port
7. Make sure Socks_v5 is ticked, then press OK and close the preference window.
8. Now type about:config into your url bar, a scary message should come up talking about voiding your warranty. Just skip it. > (I've done this several times and I'm fine, just don't mess around in about:config too much)
9. Now search for dns and double click
Setting it to true
11. Browse the Interwebz!
Many thanks to Nikias Bassen and Paul Sladen for making iproxy