Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Syncing under linux

Default Syncing under linux
    G'day all,

Im running Fedora Linux 14 on my laptop and was wondering what program I can use to sync my 4g ipod touch.

I synced it on my girl's computer using her iTunes but now when I try to do updates it asks me for her password.

Not sure what software is available for Linux.

I've never used fedora for this, but on ubuntu (which I'm assuming is similar enough to fedora for these to work) you have two options:
    1. Run an old itunes software in WINE
    2. Run windows in vmware

The first is probably the easiest to setup. Just install WINE and then grap a copy of itunes 6 (I'd google this to make sure it's the right version.)

The second is harder to setup, but I use it for alot other than itunes. I'd look at installing windows on vmware if you use this, but the again, this takes alot more setup than WINE.
    I'm a little teapot. That is sooo damn funny :

Default Virtual machine
    Quote Originally Posted by j4c30 View Post
    I've never used fedora for this, but on ubuntu (which I'm assuming is similar enough to fedora for these to work) you have two options:
    1. Run an old itunes software in WINE
    2. Run windows in vmware
    Thanks j4c30, I've since downloaded and installed VirtualBox and now run XP under that.
    Seems to be the best way to run Windows programs under Linux.

Thanks again for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by beeripod View Post
    Thanks j4c30, I've since downloaded and installed VirtualBox and now run XP under that.
    Seems to be the best way to run Windows programs under Linux.

Thanks again for your reply.
    No problem, happy to help a fellow linux nerd