+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: External mike probs

is a discussion within the

iPod Accessories

forums, a part of the

General iPod

section;
Recently, I finally found my long lost universal/generic 3.5mm external microphone! It is the type that are small, and come with some analog/digitsl audio recorders. I tested it on my
    Thanks

Default External mike probs
    Recently, I finally found my long lost universal/generic 3.5mm external microphone! It is the type that are small, and come with some analog/digitsl audio recorders. I tested it on my laptops 3.5mm jack for mikes, and it worked!

Since i finally found this, I decided to plug it into my iTouchs 3.5mm jack, but when testing it on Voice memos, it told me dat i needed to insert a mike (therefore the mike failed)

What could be wrong? Could it be that, like with TV out cabls, that app looks for a special chip to determine if the mike is an official apple, in which unofficial ones are rejected? Or could it be that the iPods 3.5mm jack is ONLY audio out, not audio in/out? It could even be my ipods damaged audio jack; don't know

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mike was probably pretty angry you tried shoving him into a headphone jack.

There is a way you can put the ipod (depending what model) into Mic mode. Kind of a cool trick, and it seems like your microphone would work. iPod Hack: Use the iPod headphones as a microphone | iPod | Tech-Recipes
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Thanks

That link you gave me seem pretty good, but I don't know how to put iTOUCH into diagnostic mode. Nor do I longer have the Apple earphones that came witj my itouch

Quote from link:

Shannon
    What is diagnostic mode? Can I use your information with the iPod touch?

Chris
    There is a diagnostic mode for the iPod Touch, but no one has figured out how to enter (or exit, for that matter) it. I saw once to hold Home and Sleep for 10 seconds, then let off the Sleep button while still depressing Home for another 10 seconds, but that didn't work for me.

djsynth
    dont the new ones have that option? im allowed to record without anything..

BurlyBoy1999
    so it will work on the ipod touch?

Buug6 3 weeks ago
    Are you sure the sound was not actually picked up by the mic on the iPod while you were speaking to the "earphone". If you know anythin about electronics you will understand the circuit will not allow recording through earphone, period. This piece is a good April Fools joke, and I am surprised so many felled for it.

BTW, the mike wasn't "shoved" into earphone jack, fits seamlessly. Here is a pix similar to mine

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-Clip-Mini-Microphone/dp/B001N0W2B6?tag=topsiteonsale-20

I also tried a non-apple mike supported app; fail. I plan on soon buying some things including

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Eforcity-Mini-Microphone-Recorder-for-Apple-iPod-iPhone-3G-3GS/4569716/product.html?IID=prod4569716#product-detail

It doesnt say it works with ipt3 8 gb, but says wrks for ipt3 16/32gb. Think itll wrk?
    Last edited by Tamkis; 07-19-2010 at 09:15 PM.